FCC Radio license required for Mexico?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AKDoug

Guru
Vessel Name
Melanie Rose
Vessel Make
1999 Willard PH
I attempted to sneak into another thread with this question, but got no responses. The information I have been able to locate says no license required in US waters, but FCC license required for International waters. One license for the boat and one license for the radio operator, two in total. I am going to have VHF only, plus In Reach and my EPIRB.

Can anyone clarify or confirm this information as being current? One of the problems with the Internet, nothing ever goes away...

The US allows non-licensed VHF operation within its waters. But other countries typically require you to have a license, and therefore the US mentions requires you to have it for use outside the US.

You get 2 licenses: One is the Ship's Station License (for you it'll be type SA, as you're voluntarily equipped with VHF, etc.). That provides an MMSI for VHF/DSC and covers the boat and EPIRB (also provides a call sign). The MMSI from this license will show up in the international SAR databases (unlike an MMSI from BoatUS or similar). This is good for 10 years before renewal.

The second license is the Restricted Radiotelephone Operator's Permit (type RR in FCC speak). No test required for this one and once you get it, it's good for life. This is the license other countries will care about, as it licenses you to operate a VHF radio.

Perfect, thank you both very much for the information!

Restricted Radiotelephone Operator's Permit looks like it is issued to a person. So I'd assume if we were traveling outside US waters everyone who wanted to use the radio would need their own RR license?

Restricted Radiotelephone Operator's Permit looks like it is issued to a person. So I'd assume if we were traveling outside US waters everyone who wanted to use the radio would need their own RR license?

Yes, that is technically correct.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom