Faria Tach. problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BellaDonna

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
BELLADONNA
Vessel Make
34' MAINSHIP HARDTOP TRAWLER
The Starboard tach malfunctions after 30 minutes of use. It gets erratic then dies completely. Naturally, I can not use the Garmin autopilot when this happens as it is tied in with the Stb. tach.
Sending unit sensor was replaced and I still have the problem.I think it is in the wiring.

Any ideas what to do next?:

If you have twins you can use banana clip leads to shift over to the other tach.

Most likely the guage, look at the Faria website for similar style and just replace it.

Faria has a rebuild service, reasonable prices, decent turn-around times... and if your hour-meter is incorporated, you'll lose that.

Assuming you have something like the analog Chesapeake models, they'll be semi-accurate at only one RPM level from idle to WOT... wherever you choose to calibrate with an IR tach... so at idle and WOT, not so much.

I'd say your better off replacing both tachs with the Aetna Engineering digital tachs. In our installation, it was a drop-in replacement... and now I actually know what RPMs the engines are making.

If the hour-meter is part of the equation, I'd suggest it's also better replacing both tachs at once... so even though you won't be displaying actual engine hours, at least you'll be displaying similar relative engine hours for each motor.

Not meaning to dis Faria... I just wasn't happy with the inaccuracy... and could have saved myself some steps going immediately to the digitals.

-Chris

Back
Top Bottom