External monitors on GPS / plotters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Penta

Vessel Name
Penta
Vessel Make
36' 1961 Sather ex-Gill Netter
Are any of you making use of the VGA output from your chart-plotter to drive a bigger or remote monitor?

A freind is wanting to add a larger monitor to his new helm latout an as well have a "remote" monitor at the upper bridge. His plotter has a VGA output available and I have plugged in a second display to try things and it works* fine so it is a possibility. In his case all he really uses the plotter for is to locate himself and to reference his position to the paper charts. His plotter does not have a touch screen and he really does not need access to the front panelcontrols on the plotter because in his case the system is totally a "monitor" fuction and he does not wnt the expence of two new plotters.

Just wondering if anyone has done this and if so was there any problem.

Thanks

John* MV Penta

John

Happy New Year. On my Furuno NN3s* there*are VGA out*connectors too. According to the manual it will work with a standard monitor. Easy enough to try. I feed two monitors from my Nobeltec laptop. Without a shielded cable the monitor nearest the helm sometimes shows clutter lines.

I located the computer, plotting software and charts in a lower office and had a special cable made to go the distance to the pilot house. *Shielding is important and as I recall, the cable was around $150 or so. *The monitor is a Big Bay, which I like very much as it is visible from angles wherever you are in the P/H. *Big Bay made up the cable.

Back
Top Bottom