Old 01-21-2013, 12:30 PM   #21

City: St. Catharines
Vessel Name: Delia Rosa
Vessel Model: C & L Sea Ranger 47 Raised Pilothouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Heron View Post
It is a choice on a small craft to have an EPIRB or not.
Unfortunately, those who choose not to have an EPIRB or PLB still need to be rescued occasionally, sometimes putting the safety of the SAR teams at greater risk than if that individual could have been more quickly/easily located...

And then there is the actual cost of the rescues to be considered.....

If anyone is interested, here is a link to an article about who pays for SAR operations.
HowStuffWorks "Who pays for search and rescue operations?"
Delia Rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:19 PM   #22
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Might as well give up lights and sound signals.....most agree that small boats you can't either hear other sound signal because of engine noise or the installed horns are so wimpy and here's a great example why lights are a joke....
Attached Thumbnails
Photo732.jpg  
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:12 PM   #23
Guru

City: Pensacola
Guess I just depend less on a rescue and more on prudence. I have equipped my vessel with an EPIRB but I don't feel compelled to demand fhat everyone else do the same. It's called personal responsibility.

As for your stupid nav lights analogy, nav lights are superb for anti collision but really prove their worth in the inland and coastal waterways. EPIRBS are for open ocean beyond line of sight if shore.

Again I don't follow along like a sheep and Demand a Nanny State take care if me.

As for the SAR crews and risk if life... I was a helicopter Aircrewman for 14 years. We got paid a pretty good premium to be SAR assets. Never thought I was risking my life, never needed the pity. It was what we do.
Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:24 PM   #24
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Heron View Post

Again I don't follow along like a sheep and Demand a Nanny State take care if me.

Except when you believe it implies the government will mobilize the taxpayer's military resources to come rescue you from mean and nasty dictators ...

In case you have forgotten:

"One good reason to be US Flagged" 09-06-2012 Post #1
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:27 PM   #25
Guru

City: Pensacola
I didn't forget that post Rick. I still stand by it. Documented US vessels being protected at sea is an Enumerated Power in my opinion. Far and away from forcing all boaters to have EPIRBS
Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:21 AM   #26
Guru

[QUOTE= Far and away from forcing all boaters to have EPIRBS[/QUOTE]

Not forcing all boaters to have EPIRBS, only those who put themselves into a position that they may need them. The FAA requires all commercial aircraft to have them, the ones I fly have two.

But Blue Heron has a point, our current politicians want to regulate everything and some would love to see the US put an end to recreational boating and aviation which has largely at least in Europe been accomplished though high taxes and fees. In Florida just look at all the anchoring regulations!

So, since the politicians probably won't be able to ban boating in the near future look to see a ban on the sale of anchors.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:24 AM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
Not forcing all boaters to have EPIRBS, only those who put themselves into a position that they may need them. The FAA requires all commercial aircraft to have them, the ones I fly have two.

But Blue Heron has a point, our current politicians want to regulate everything and many would love to see the US put an end to recreational boating and aviation which has largely at least in Europe been accomplished though high taxes and fees.
The point in red is the problem....put lifelong professionals in a room with politicians and lawyers and what pops out on paper is nowhere near reality....
Old 01-22-2013, 06:46 AM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
The point in red is the problem....put lifelong professionals in a room with politicians and lawyers and what pops out on paper is nowhere near reality....
+1
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:44 AM   #29
Guru

City: Georgia
Didn't mean to start an argument about government intrusion.

Around these parts, the volunteer fire department bills the insurance company for call outs, and they get paid either on the fire policy or the medical policy, or both sometimes. It doesn't cover the cost of a new pumper truck, but it helps keep the guys and gals in gear. So, maybe, for the boaters that have insurance, just like for other vehicles, and let the SAR team bill the insurer for the costs, or even a fraction of them. Then you stop boating when you can't get insured because you take extreme risks or do stupid things when boating. Your policy premiums would be cheaper with the ERPIB or PLB or AIS or other devices which may help mitigate the risks of loss. No government needed.
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:52 AM   #30
Guru

There are very few "extra" associated costs with much of the SAR that the USCG does. They are budgeted for a multi-mission operation of which SAR isn't all that much. If they don't fly on SAR...they burn up the fuel costs in training missions or something else....or lose that money next budget go around (blame the goofy budgeting system)

I have seen it in my career and lifetime...on the boat side of things....assistance towers and so many good Samaritans have lessened the SAR load to the point that actual experience for many SAR crews is often only when the conditions are so extreme...they are at greater peril and there's a higher chance of losing/damaging expensive equipment than ever. In fact we have all seen where they are very reluctant to do certain thing that 40 years ago would have been second nature to the organization.