Equipment Recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Djoub

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Melody
Vessel Make
Mainship 350
New to me 1998 Mainship 350, duel helms with original electronics. It includes Raymarine L760 plotters (2), Raymarine radar, Robertson autopilot, and separate depth and speed indicators at both helms. Neither plotter came with SIM cards.

I tried to cheap out by buying a dedicated GPS android tablet with Navionics app but it is impossible to read in the bright Florida sun. I’m also a apple fan so I’m not comfortable with this op system. My iPad wasn’t much better in sunlight

My issue is, can I buy a single dedicated plotter with internal GPS and use this without hooking up new transducers? I would use the current depth/speed units and even the current plotter for radar if it is even worth it. The autopilot I believe is a stand alone unit with a magnetic compass so not an issue for the new plotter(tell me if I’m wrong on this)

Would like something upgradable that I could add radar to in the future when I want to really tear up the boat. I heard of people upgrading their system for $15k-$20k, not in this years budget. I’m pretty mechanical and knowledgeable in electronics, or at least I use to be before the internet took over. I’m hoping to find a easy and bright solution for under $1000 if possible.

Almost everything else on this 20 year old boat has been repaired, replaced, or upgraded except the electronics.

Thought, ideas, suggestions?

Have you talked to Raymarine as to what of your equipment is compatable with newer equipment? As to getting something for less than $1000 it depends on what size MFD you want. I have an e127 as my main plotter and I just bought a refurbished a128 with a 2 year Raymarine warranty as a second display that cost less than $1000.

Back
Top Bottom