Old 02-04-2016, 11:20 PM   #21
Guru

City: Sydney
We now have a Ctek M300 battery charger hard wired on the boat it has a reconditioning mode which brought back 2 of the 3 old dead 120amp deep cycle batteries .We kept the 2 old batteries that took a charge and used them on a separate fridge system with solar panel they still keep 13.5v after 3 months .
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:41 AM   #22
Guru

Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
We now have a Ctek M300 battery charger hard wired on the boat it has a reconditioning mode which brought back 2 of the 3 old dead 120amp deep cycle batteries .. .
Good to hear it works. I think they pulsate the charge to literally shake the sulphation off the plates back into solution. Is that right?
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:57 AM   #23
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Good to hear it works. I think they pulsate the charge to literally shake the sulphation off the plates back into solution. Is that right?
That's also my understanding it was recommenced to me by a excellent boat electrician here on the marina
Old 02-10-2016, 07:33 PM   #24
Veteran Member

City: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Inspiration
You may want to check out one of these if you are a bit electronically inclined:
seadogmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:57 PM   #25
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. sdm. Thanks. I got as far as 11:22 and couldn't take it any more. I'll watch the rest at a later date. Timer, rectifier and capacitor I think I can handle.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:56 PM   #26
Guru

The pain the pain now I know how Mododom can effect you if you decide to make a battery charger
Old 02-10-2016, 10:49 PM   #27
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. sdm. Thanks. I got as far as 11:22 and couldn't take it any more. I'll watch the rest at a later date. Timer, rectifier and capacitor I think I can handle.
RT - I went through the whole thang in 60 seconds by moving the courser along to "spots". OMG - Buy New Batts!!!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 04:51 AM   #28
Veteran Member

City: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Inspiration
I did build one of these. It helps if the battery is only partially depleted. I used it on a marine battery. Before the process my conductance meter said it had 60% life left. This was after a partial discharge. I then put it on this charger for 4 hours. let it sit for an hour, and the life left showed 75%. It works by pulsing the voltage as mentioned before. I then put the battery on the battery tender. Happy with the results. I may try it again this weekend to see if it will bring the life up a bit more.
seadogmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:41 AM   #29
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Ok, Ok - I'll admit that I have done an operation that has somewhat restored electricity holding power and for a relatively short time elongated the life in a few wet-cell truck batts.

By, taking my big charger and hitting the batt with high voltage start-amps repetitively.

First leave start-amps on for about 30 seconds to get batt plates to wake up (i.e. good n' hot)! Then switch it off for about a minute. Then hit it with about 30 consecutive jolts of start-amps for about 5 seconds each with 10 to 15 second rest times between each 5 second start-amp surge. BUT - be careful - the old batt has potential to explode while doing this operation. I hook it up to charger in gravel field where fire is not possible and stand some 50 or more feet away to plug/unplug the extension cord.

In 1960's I was instructed to do this by an old gas station mechanic/owner. I've found from doing so that some (but not all) virtually dead batts can still become usable for less than a year. Is it worth the trouble... well yes, maybe, in an easy to access Batt area of a road vehicle... if you feel like trying your best to keep a worn out ol' batt alive for a while longer. Otherwise - bite the bullet and purchase new.

As far as marine batts - NO - I will not bother doing this at all! Way too much trouble hauling batts out, taking to safe place to perform start-amp surge process and then to put back into boat... for limited time before the batt says F-it and really quits for good. IMO, much easier, safer, and more pleasing to simply purchase and install new wet-cell marine batts that can last up to 10 + years if charged and otherwise maintained correctly!

Happy Batt-Doings daze! - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 07:08 AM   #30
FF
Guru

Desulfation units usually pulse a higher voltage .

Many solar controllers will offer an "equalizing" charge option.

They are not the same.

Battery Desulfation Tutorial | ChargingChargers.com

Equalizing - Trojan Battery Company

Trojan Battery Company › ... › Employment › Privacy Policy › Site Map

Equalizing is an overcharge performed on flooded lead acid batteries after they have been fully charged. It reverses the buildup of negative chemical effects like ...

Equalizing Charge For Stationary Batteries – Battery ...

batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/equalizing_charge

Battery University

Oct 23, 2015 - Experts recommend equalizing services once a month to once or twice per year. A better method is to apply a fully saturated charge and then compare the specific gravity readings (SG) on the individual cells of a flooded lead acid battery
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 07:43 AM   #31
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
There are three common problems with lead acid batteries.
1. Shorted cell(s)
2. Sulphated plates
3. Stratified acid

No.1 means the battery is toast.

No.2 & No.3 may be improved with high rate pulse charging. (I don't know about epsom salts)

Getting tossed around in rough seas may help problems 2 & 3 as well, but it also sometimes causes problem 1.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 08:39 AM   #32
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
One of the two batteries on the small boat shows a very low (dead?) cell when tested with a hydrometer after a charge. Any comments? Thanks.
Rather than have a battery fire try Sams club or Costco.
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote