Epirb refurb?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wkearney99

Guru
Vessel Name
Solstice
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
I've got an Epirb whose battery is long overdue to replacement. It's an ACR Global Fix Pro (RLB-36). It was last replaced 3/1/2010 (and was due in 2015).

Any service centers to recommend for doing the job? This unit does not have a readily user-replaceable battery inside (spot welded tabs, not just solder) and I'm OK with paying something to do a diligent job of refurbishing it. The question is who to use? The vendor lists a local dealer that I would not put a lot of trust in their diligence for a safety device like this. So sending out to someone else seems like a better plan. Any suggestions (or warnings to avoid)?

Check the price of a new one against the price of replacing the battery. They have lowered the price and extended the life of the battery since you bought that one.
I think the current Epirb batteries are good for ten years.

Check the price of a new one against the price of replacing the battery. They have lowered the price and extended the life of the battery since you bought that one.
I think the current Epirb batteries are good for ten years.

:thumb: And due to all of the effort required to test and recertify an older Epirb, the price differential between new and refurbished isn't much.

David

:thumb: And due to all of the effort required to test and recertify an older Epirb, the price differential between new and refurbished isn't much.

David

Yup. We paid $265 for a new six year battery in our McMurdo epirb in 2016 that you can buy new for $370. The delta is getting closer.

David

Just found that out, much to my surprise.

'prof

I knew my EPIRP battery was out of date but it still checked good. Well, 'new' boat, figured the auto release housing stayed with the old boat but for some reason the EPIRP was retained by me.
Took it to my local supplier, 84 Boat Works, Bought a new 6 man offshore auto deploy raft, he laughed when he saw my EPIRB, commenting the 10 year old unit had been superseded more than twice. It was my intention to buy a new one and give him the old one for parts but to insult the unit I relied on for 10 years, now that hurt.
Per the 6 man raft, if there is enough space, the women can come aboard the raft too

Bought a new 6 man offshore auto deploy raft,...
Per the 6 man raft, if there is enough space, the women can come aboard the raft too

HAR! We'll just keep that amongst ourselves, no?

Seems to be about $100. That's a reasonable enough savings to keep something out of the trash. If it's genuinely refurbed/retested to like-new condition. But if all they're doing is replacing a battery and putting stickers back on it, well, I'd rather go new.

I just got a reply from Acrartex, direct, quoting $345 plus shipping and tax, and notes it doesn't include any kind of repairs. Mine's functioning, as far as I know, but I don't know how much of the hardware is part of a refurb. Nothing on their website explains the process.

The direct price is a bit higher than what I've come across posted elsewhere. Makes me wonder what the lower priced ones are doing. Is it artificially high from them direct in order to funnel traffic through dealers? And the dealers are competing with their margin? Or at the lower priced ones not performing the same level of service?

My expectation is the device will be there to function when I need it. I'm not going to quibble over $100 if it means getting quality work done. Then again, paying extra wouldn't make much sense either.

Question: Is your successful rescue worth $100??

Let's face few if any of us will ever have a need for an EPIRB nor a self launching inflatable raft nor PFDs but, rules are rules and common sense is common sense.

Wanna skimp? Drink cheaper booze.

Last edited:
I’d take a hard look at the ACR 2831 GlobalFix. It has a ten year battery instead of five year and when the time comes you can change it yourself. ACR is careful not to promise it but the 2831 will likely transmit several hours more than the 48 that they guarantee. At $390 for a Cat2 and $450 for a Cat1, I think it’s a real bargain. https://www.amazon.com/ACR-2831-Glo...1yYfJyyDnL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch&th=1

HAR! We'll just keep that amongst ourselves, no?

Depends on her beauty agreeability. You could be designated man who goes down with the ship.

Last edited:
Wanna skimp?.

It's really not about skimping, more about not wasting an otherwise good unit if a refurb will be just as effective. No sense tossing it in the trash if it's still viable. Saving $100 and not adding garbage isn't skimping.

It's really not about skimping, more about not wasting an otherwise good unit if a refurb will be just as effective. No sense tossing it in the trash if it's still viable. Saving $100 and not adding garbage isn't skimping.

I turn them into the selling for parts of the cases.

Bill, by chance were you a sailor before owning a trawler? Just Kidding! I think.

Last edited:
Bill, by chance were you a sailor before owning a trawler? Just Kidding! I think.

Nope, just grew up without a lot of money and a strong sense of making do. No sense in wasting money if there's a reasonable option for re-use.

As for sailors, I like to joke ragbaggers can squeeze a nickel so hard you can almost hear Jefferson scream.

Realistically though if I want this setup to be in the best shape then it's looking like it'll just make more sense to buy a whole new kit. Epirb and case (with water release unit) are less than the parts separately. Refurbing this one and then buying a new release kit pushes it to about the same price as a whole kit.

Then it's just a question of GlobalFix Pro RLB-37 vs GlobalFix v4 RLB-41. The v4 unit appears to be a little smaller and has a 10 year field-replaceable battery. Where we're boating (Cheasapeake, ICW and near-coast waters) it seems like the RLB-41 is a decent choice. though I haven't found any head-to-head comparisons.

I guess I can pack this one up and re-sell it. Just have to make sure to remove myself from the registration for it.

It’s kind of a running joke in the marine industry about sailors being cheap. My experience was that they don’t value their time as much as power boaters. Of course making generalizations like this is dangerous. There is always someone who doesn’t fit the profile.

I think you’ll get a better value buying new. A ten year battery vs a five year battery is worth an extra hundred. Then ten years from now it will be much easier and probably cheaper to install a new battery your self.

Agreed. A friend with a Catalina asked how long did it take me to get there? I said "an hour". To which she said, just a tad smugly "my trip was free". And I said and you left, when, YESTERDAY?"

It was a friendly exchange, but I've met more than a few ragbaggers eager to be insulting about stink-pots and the like. I suppose all those hours at the helm gives them free time to gin up their insults and feed a festering jealousy, or something.

Likewise, I get a laugh at the boat shows being back-to-back in Annapolis in the Fall. The wait staff at all the local establishments can't wait until the powerboaters arrive. Why? Because WE TIP, unlike the skinflint sailors...

I agree refurbishing is a solid alternative if the unit is in good shape.

There is no more guarantee that new from the factory has a lessor failure rate than refurbished ones.

Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon (EPIRB)

"Model Number: RLB-36 / Part Numbers 2848.0 & 2846.0 The GlobalFix™ iPRO Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon (EPIRB) is the next generation in marine safety electronics. This EPIRB is a breakthrough product that boasts a digital display and dual GPS technology. Available in Category I or II brackets."
-----------------------------------------------
Seems it has similar functions to current versions,if it makes economic sense go with the fresh battery.One less piece of electronic junk.

Has the life of the replacement has been extended,that would be a decider imo. Otherwise balance up the 5yr vs 10 year batt life with the spend.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom