Electrician class?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swampgatr

Veteran Member
I am working on my 5 year plan and am interested in taking a class for marine electronics. Just a basic class to help me understand the basics and maybe trouble shoot and do some light installs if needed. Any suggestions on the type of class I would take? I live in the Stuart, St. Lucie Fl. area. Thanks

I am working on my 5 year plan and am interested in taking a class for marine electronics. Just a basic class to help me understand the basics and maybe trouble shoot and do some light installs if needed. Any suggestions on the type of class I would take? I live in the Stuart, St. Lucie Fl. area. Thanks[/QUO

Trawler fest hold class on different thing and so do boat shows. If you can install a home entertainment center you have the basic skill. The hardest part is to decide the features and brand. Besides you have us.

Check with the local community college.

That's a good suggestion. You can't become a marine electrician by taking one or two classes at a boat show or reading a couple books. Real electricians spend years learning their trade.

Thank you for all your replies. I will look at some community college courses as well as some of the of the "how to" booths. I am really just looking for some basic knowledge to trouble shoot and install simple things such as gauges, switches and such and with help maybe some larger projects when the time comes. Thank you all for your suggestions.

Maybe you could hire a good local marine electrician to go through your system with you and teach you one on one.

Thank you for all your replies. I will look at some community college courses as well as some of the of the "how to" booths. I am really just looking for some basic knowledge to trouble shoot and install simple things such as gauges, switches and such and with help maybe some larger projects when the time comes. Thank you all for your suggestions.

The community college course should include electrical theory and once you understand how electricity flows in conductors, circuits, and devices, the rest comes more easily.

Without that understanding, you pretty much just have to follow instructions and when you have none or they are not clear, you won't know what to do.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom