Electrical contact lubricants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think I may use CRC QD on the harness fittings then follow it up with Noalox or Corrosion X when I put them back together. I don't think the contacts are bad, but I think I messed on per up so I will be unplugging and plugging them in again to see if I can find a fault. As long as I am messing with them I want to clean them and see if I can provide some protection. I have the Corrosion X as that is what I use on the boat anyway.

There are hundreds of soldered connections on the average cruiser...in almost every piece of equipment installed.

Sealing a crimped connection already fastened to a buss bar or terminal block is a time honored routine with some pretty notable builders and technicians.

Read between the lines on many comments, there are reasons to do many things often discussed as bad and vice versa.....not every rule applies all the time and some are good at regurgitating what is written in every flashy boating mag versus practical experience on vessels.

"Sealing a crimped connection already fastened to a buss bar or terminal block is a time honored routine with some pretty notable builders and technicians."

The only way to improve in this is to install star washers under the hold down nuts.

The washer will force good contact after the terminal end has grown and shrunk from heat in the circuit.

Cheap and EZ to do , and lasts "forever" unlike a shmeer of goop.

Somebody on this forum has a tag line that reads "There is the right way and then there is the way someone has gotten away with."

I have seen many "old timers" with years of experience doing things wrong because they never learned the right way or haven't kept up with new products and procedures.

On the other hand, I see, mostly on web forums, people who know nothing about a subject giving advice as if they were experts in the field.

The problem then, when asking for advice on a web forum, is what to believe when given conflicting advice.

Maybe you're better off with a book.

Or people who worked on dirt their whole life, own a boat and do it part time between runs to West Marine, never saw what the commercial world of marine culture is and thinks they have a clue.

Some of those non published experts have more time in reverse with the overtemp alarm going than some have their whole life cruising.... :)

There are usually more ways to get a job done than just one...maybe not NASAs way, but good enough....shame some people can't fathom that.

Last edited:
If it's on the internet it has to be true. Right.

Whether on the web or not...it is not hard to sift through and verify what you need.

Plus it is easy to verify if some posters on the web are genuine or not...some just like to say that others might have no real experience when one phone call could clarify a lot.

But they hide behind their keyboards.

Last edited:
May I kindly suggest to get back to the thread subject :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom