DSC on HF

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I will have to read up on it
On vhf its easy, and all digital calls leave on ch 70. On hf, theres the complication-of time of day and distance involved.

And does the Digital call go out on the intended voice channel?

I will have to read up on it
On vhf its easy, and all digital calls leave on ch 70. On hf, theres the complication-of time of day and distance involved.

And does the Digital call go out on the intended voice channel?

As I recall, when you send a distress-type call (and there are several categories of this), it is broadcast on a different frequency for each band, analogous to VHF's use of channel 70. Your SSB has a separate receiver that constantly monitors those frequencies (also like VHF, but I don't know if it has several separate receivers or how it manages to not miss a call). But, if you want to call another station for non-safety, their receiver won't hear your DSC hail. For that to work, both you and your buddy must program your radios to listen to that other frequency. From what I recall, my radio (802) doesn't switch frequencies the way a VHF will when a DSC call is made. Instead, I think you need to pre-tune to that frequency.

The USCG page does give the 2 MHz dsc freq. its a few kc away from the voice freq at 2182. And, there is reference to a 4MHz guard channel. But little else. I suspect there is mot much dsc HF activity.
The 2 MHz band runs short range in daytime, not a lot better than vhf with tall antennas. A nite a different story tho.

I believe it is similar in function as VHF DSC but uses HF freqs.

Back
Top Bottom