Does anybody have experience with this set-up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BaltimoreLurker

Curmudgeon
Vessel Name
Moon Dance
Vessel Make
1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
After taking a "Marine Electrical Systems Basics" course a few weeks ago I now realize the PO had some unusual ideas about rewiring a boat. The worst offenders that I see right off are the use of welding cable from the batts to the engine (jackets already soft) and a strange paralleling technique of the 4, 4D batteries.

Replacing the welding cable is a no-brainer.

I'm going to reroute the cables to parallel the batteries correctly, another no-brainer.

But I'd like to get a little more modern than my "OFF-1-2-ALL" switch and reconfigure the system to the one in the link below.*

http://bluesea.com/category/2/productline/overview/329

Right now, I'm not sure all the batts are being drawn from nor charged!* More investigation required.

I have a 1974 Marine Trader 34' sedan.* Single Lehman 120, small alternator, no genset, no need for super fancy, digital fixes!* KISS.

Does anybody have any experience with the Blue Sea setup in the link? Positive, negative, words of wisdom?

Thanks,
Darrell

It is a good system. You say you have 4 four D's? How are*your banks*made up? Two separate two battery banks? What size alternator and what type of charger?

-- Edited by Gamekeeper at 14:18, 2008-12-22

I have to admit, it's been 12 years since purchasing my current boat.* Right after purchase, I replaced the battery & charging systems including new*primary wiring.* It hasn't missed a beat for 12 years,*and does not include any 1-2-ALL switches or*charging relay switches with starting isolation.* (It does have one on/off switch to combine the house/engine start banks for emergencies)

However,*time marches on, and maybe the Blue Sea*is a better system.

But it's hard to argue with simplicity:* Dedicated alternators to each bank, basic 3-stage temperature compensated regulators, and a good battery monitor.* The first house bank of (10) 6 volt wet cell golf cart batteries went 7 years and produced around 250,000 amps of service life.* I am expecting at least 12 years from the (10) 6 volt gel cell batteries that replaced them.

I really like the Blue Sea gear, but the key to a simple system is to*get a 2nd alternator added to your ME.

We had a discussion about this a year or so ago.* I personally like the ACRs like the Blue Sea.* Hook it up so that the alternator charges the start bank first, and when the voltage gets high enough, the ACR bridges the house bank in and it charges.* The shorepower charger can hook to the house bank, and again, when the voltage gets high enough, the start bank gets charged.

I like the fact that you can never forget to disconnect the banks when you anchor, or reconnect them when you are on shore power.

I think it was FF that made the point that a basic solenoid to parallel the batteries whenever the engine ignition switch is on does the job pretty darn well for a lot less money.

The second alternator route is pretty sweet, too - but it seems that there isn't any real clean way to do so with the Lehman.* Most installations that I've seen require the use of a field-built bracket that attaches to the stringer side of the motor mount.*

Don't tell my brother he will have trouble mounting another alt on a lehman. He hung a 5000 watt Seapower unit on his and still kept the regular Alt. And yeah he had to build a custom bracket for the unit. Has been working great for about 10 years now.

WE use 2 rotaries and a simple system.

A large rotary selects engine start batt (which moves Alt output ).

A second rotary selects battery bank for all loads.

Since we use a deep cycle as starts , its very simple.

Anchoring , turn the engine rotary off after shutdown , and select either batt for house service that evening.
The oil pressure sensor is hot wired to the selector output , so it is silenced by turning off the start power.

On start select the HOUSE batt , to assure it has not been over discharged.

Over 30F its enough to start a 6-71 . The hotter batt is reserve if required .

If she is slow to start the batt selected gets 2 hours of direct charge .

Combine the batts after start (or 2 hours after a 3 day layover)and both get charged together with no effort.

A digital gage allows knowledge of how the charge is proceding.

KISS

-- Edited by FF at 05:09, 2009-01-02

-- Edited by FF at 05:11, 2009-01-02

Back
Top Bottom