Old 03-06-2019, 06:29 AM   #21
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
I have Duramax packing and may have overtightened it the first time out, which I’ve heard can cause problems. So I had it replaced and both boxes still leak if they are loosened enough to prevent overheating. As for grooved shafts, I was making an assumption. I worked a fine tool inside the stuffing box while on the hard (with the packing removed) and didn’t feel much, if any, scoring but I’m not sure what else could be the cause. I’ll continue to play with the adjustments, but will also use the collection tray/mini bilge pump setup. Will let you know how it works out.

Thanks again for all the thoughts.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 07:30 AM   #22
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic #715
With new Duramax start off with the packing nut very loose. Let it run / leak for a while and then very gradually tighten. It doesn’t take much to overheat and melt the new packing. I was a little surprised that the packing nut could be left as loose as it was. However it never leaked and ran under 100 degrees.
Cigatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 02:10 PM   #23

City: Va Beach
Vessel Name: SeaShell
Vessel Model: 1974 Marine Trader 34 Sedan
Angus I have the same stuffing box setup that you do and have the same issues. I repacked mine with the best packing I could get. Mine either leaks more than I like or doesn't drip at all and over-heats. Even with a good drip going it runs warmer than I prefer. Unfortunately dripless isn't an option since the shaft is to short and there isn't room. So far I have just been living with it.
SeaBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 03:20 PM   #24
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I put duramax packing in my ride. It ran hot for a long time, I loosened it trying to get a drip and it still ran hot and did not drip. Then magically, it ran cool and did not drip (ok, a tiny bit). It must have broken in, whatever that means. I have put about 5000nm on it since and it snugged it maybe twice.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 05:22 PM   #25
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Better to have each pump individually switched,even if power comes from one breaker. I had a bilge pump set up which became defective and was tripping the breaker. Turning off the offending pump stopped the tripping so the other pump still worked pending replacing the defective one (or maybe it was the related "flipper" switch).
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote