Digital Duo Charge and Equalization

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDCAVE

Guru
Vessel Name
Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
As mentioned elsewhere, I have a Freedom 20 charger monitored with the Link 2000 monitor. When on AC or Genset, the Freedom 20 charges the house bank although the starter battery is also monitored by the system. The starter bank is charged from the house bank when that bank is on charge and the voltage exceeds 13.0 volts. The starter battery charging is regulated by the Balmar Digital Duo Charge.

I think I will contact Balmar to be sure but does anyone know what happens with the Duo Charge regulation when the Freedom 20 is set on Equalization mode? Does the starter bank also go on equalization mode? There is no reference to this in the Duo Charge Manual.

Jim

Does the starter bank also go on equalization mode?

A guess ,,probably , but either way be sure to water the batts after the equalizing charge.

This is the response from Balmar... "The Duo Charge will limit to voltage to the start battery according to which battery program you have it set to. If you have it at Factory default of standard flooded it will limit at 14.4 volts. Even if the house bank goes to 15 volts the Duo Charge will hold the start bank to 14.4V."

Jim,
Sent from my iPad using Trawler

Last edited:
Good idea to check with Balmar on this. I THINK that the DuoCharge would ignore the additional voltage of the equalization charge on its Input terminal and just continue to apply the Output charge profile that you have selected for your Start bank. The DuoCharge is an electronics item...would be safer to disconnect for the short equalization period, then you wouldn't need to worry

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom