Difference in battery charger settings . . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kuncicky

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Betty L
Vessel Make
1973 Gulfstar
The title doesn't really hone in on my question, but I'm not sure how to make it better. My battery charger has settings for "flooded, AGM and gel" batteries. What is the difference? That is, I set it for "flooded" since that is my battery type. But would the charger put out something different if I used one of the other settings? Doesn't it still just put out 12-volts? (Yeah, I know it is 13+ volts)

Bill

Each of the battery types has a different charging profile. Yes it still puts out the 12+ volts but you will damage the batteries by charging with the wrong profile. Set it to your battery type and don’t have 2 different types of batter On the same charger. Short answer.

The difference between types may seem subtle but it is a big difference to the batteries. Flooded lead acid can tolerate higher voltage which causes electrolytes to turn into gases. You simply add more water. AGMs and Gell cells are sealed. They have to keep the voltage lower to prevent gassing. Gassing is very bad for those. The difference is only a couple tenths of a volt. Selection of settings is vital for safety of the bank and it’s lifetime.

The difference between types may seem subtle but it is a big difference to the batteries. Flooded lead acid can tolerate higher voltage which causes electrolytes to turn into gases. You simply add more water. AGMs and Gell cells are sealed. They have to keep the voltage lower to prevent gassing. Gassing is very bad for those. The difference is only a couple tenths of a volt. Selection of settings is vital for safety of the bank and it’s lifetime.

Sounds to me, then, that if you set it on the AGM or gel setting, when your battery is actually a flooded type, then nothing would be hurt. But not vice-versa. Just theorizing, of course.

Bill

Sounds to me, then, that if you set it on the AGM or gel setting, when your battery is actually a flooded type, then nothing would be hurt. But not vice-versa. Just theorizing, of course.

Bill

Well maybe. There is a Float voltage setting too and depending on the source charger, other settings as well. It’s usually best to match settings to your specific battery manufacturers requirements.

Bill

NO..
What is overcharging to one battery type will be undercharging to another.
If you do not use the correct profile for the battery type you will shorten the life of that battery.

Why not just set it to the proper battery type? I would never try charging with the wrong type settings.

Why not just set it to the proper battery type? I would never try charging with the wrong type settings.

OK, guess I may as well come clean here (sheepish grin). The charger was inadvertently set to AGM when it should have been set to "flooding." And I was wondering what damage that might have done to the batteries. Sounds like nothing catastrophic, although the battery life may be shortened somewhat.

Bill

Depends on how long it was incorrectly set. May take a bit off the life.

In that case, top off with water then equalize them. You will get the most they have left.

Back
Top Bottom