Old 05-26-2013, 08:43 PM   #1

City: Port Huron, MI
Vessel Name: Meander
Vessel Model: 1983 Grand Banks 36 Classic
Depthsounder not working

I have a Raytheon l365 that reads the water temp but flashes 0 feet depth most of the time. Ocassionally it works in deeper water but occasionally hangs up there too. I'd appreciate any solutions anyone may venture. Can the transducer be removed from the inside while the boat's in the water? I'm reluctant to pull any pins or unscrewing any parts until I'm sure I won't sink the boat. Attached are photos of the unit and transducer. The other transducers look like pipes filled with epoxy. This one looks like it has some removable parts.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0783.jpg   IMG_0782.jpg  
captrigney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:02 AM   #2
Guru

I can't help you with the unit and I understand your concern about pulling that pin.
Call raymarine at: (603) 881-5200. Raytheon is now raymarine and they can help.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:12 AM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Sounds like what I had happen to the sonar in my Lowrance GPS/Sonar combo recently. Nothing I could do would resolve it. Worked fine for 5 yrs, then one day, towards the end of an 11 hr passage, it started winking and that was it. I had to replace it with a sonar only unit. Not sure if it was the transducer that died or the sonar part in the head unit. Tried soft and hard resets, checked all cables, connections etc. but nothing worked. Sadly they make it very difficult to just plug the same transducer into a different head unit to test it. Or vice versa. They are all only interested in new sales. Being a Raytheon, which is now Raymarine, it is a pretty old unit, so fixing even if possible would probably cost more than a new unit. That's what I was told, and mine was much younger than yours. Sorry to sound so depressing, but that's the way it is with most breakdowns in electronics these days.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:53 AM   #4
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
No, pulling the inner piece is not the ducer..just speed/temp parts....but for those yes you can pull it and there should be a plug with 2 O rings on it somewhere onboard (plus there is a built in flapper valve to reduce flow when pulled)...go to raymarine site for good info/pics)

Without cleaning the face...the other option is to play with gain and filters to clean up your readings if you can.

Ducers do go bad...if you know someone with a similar setup...swap out heads to see.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:48 PM   #5
Guru

That us.called.a triyducer. Pull it.out and.clean it
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
That us.called.a triyducer. Pull it.out and.clean it
Can that be done in the water?
Old 06-01-2013, 08:03 PM   #7
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by captrigney View Post
Can that be done in the water?
Yeah but it likely won't help you. The transducer is mounted permanently in the bronze shoe. That's a pretty good B744 Airmar tri-ducer. I have the same. The link has the manual. To clean the paddlewheel, you pull the pin, unscrew the ring and pull it out. There is a flap inside to prevent a large ingress of water. Look through your cabinets, and you should find a black plug with o-rings on it with the same screw ring. That's what you use for long term removal.

You may just need to go under the boat and clean the transducer. But I would try to do it with a long brush from your dinghy first.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:45 AM   #8
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
I have two transducers. There are two displays, a Raytheon ST60 Tridata and Raytheon ST60 Multi. I think the Tridata is supposed to show depth, temp and speed, and the other one just depth. Maybe. I'm not even sure which is hooked to which display, or if one of the 'ducers is just an old one that was abandoned in place.

All I know is I get reasonable depth readings on both, but the Tridata display at the upper helm is missing one line so a "3" looks like a backward "C", and I don't get speed or temp.

I have the 'ducer pictured above, and nearby is the plug. My fear of opening up 1-1/2" holes in the bottom of my boat has caused me to put off this project so far. But it would be nice to get speed through the water and water temp. I didn't know about the flap, maybe one of these days I'll get brave enough to give it a try. Some day when the yard staff is around and can pull me out if necessary.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:13 AM   #9

Mine shows water temp but no depth or speed. I didn't notice a paddle wheel when she was hauled out this winter. I really don't care where the fish are or the temp or the speed. Depth would be nice, though. I have an orphan transducer with one wire that's not connected to anything. Could the sounder be connected to it?

I'm not inclined to remove anything and trust the "built in flapper valve to reduce flow when pulled"