Old 11-03-2010, 08:33 AM   #1

Depth Sounders

Has anyone tried/used a depth sounder with an in-hull transducer on a heavy/thick hulled trawler? Mine is a 1987 Marine Trader and the hull is 1" - 1 1/2" thick . This I know from personally intalling*my bow thruster.*The Hawkeye D 10D sounder is what I'm considering? I need to replace my old Hummingbird unit and I don't want to haul the boat right now just for this sounder replacement, and I can't find a working Hummingbird unit that is compatible with the existing ttransducer.
dwkerch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:49 AM   #2
Guru

RE: Depth Sounders

I installed a transducer inside the hull on my ex boat, an old 34 Mainship trawler to replace the thru hull after I kicked the wire rendering it inop. *I am guesssing the hull was about an inch thick. I used the epoxy kit that Humminbird offered with the transducer. It worked out great and I never saw a difference in the sensitivity of the reading. Depthfinder was a inexpensive Platinum ID 600 or something along those lines I forget the exact model#.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I have an old Mainship 34 and I also installed a hummingbird transducer centerline on the keel.* I used silicone to afix it to the hull.* I put a good amount on the puck and smoothed any air bubbles out and stuck it to the deck.* Its been there about six years and works fine.* My other depth finder is a garmin and I used a airmar transducer the comes with a cup that you attach to the hull.* You can adjust it for the angle of the hull, fill it with mineral oil and put the transducer in it.* Works great and it has been there for many years.* Don't want another thru hull transducer, took three out of the old boat.

Tom
norseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:30 AM   #4
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Depth Sounders

I installed a Humminbird digital depth finder. The "puck" type transducer is about 2 feet from the keel. I mounted it (level) shoving it into a blob of toilet sealing wax ring. Been working fine for over a year.
I understand the will not work on a cored (below the waterline) hull.
Good luck
Steve W

-- Edited by Steve on Wednesday 3rd of November 2010 12:33:37 PM
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:50 PM   #5
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

OK just to set the record straight it's Humminbird not Hummingbird. Sorry I just had to get that off my chest
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Sorry Daddyo, I'm just an old swamp boy.* I'll try to do better on my spelling.
norseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:06 PM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

I have two of them. The first is a Garmin, with their own Ducer in a pipe that allows you to get the angle of the hull just right, filled with mineral oil and maint free after 5 or 6 years.
The second is a Hummer, transom mount Ducer, stuck into a piece of 4 inch ABS cut to the angle of the hull and epoxied on, filled with mineral oil and also maint free after 4 yrs.
Both give reliable readings to 600 ft.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:29 AM   #8
Guru

"OK just to set the record straight it's Humminbird not Hummingbird. Sorry I just had to get that off my chest"

Ok good, I speeleded it right *Tough job*for an egineer.
Worse is "Cummings"
Old 11-04-2010, 09:55 AM   #9
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Depth Sounders

It's hard for me to believe sounders working at all through a hull much less a thick hull but if they do*** ....they do, however, I can't imagine sounders not working better installed in the traditional way. My sounders usually work well to almost 1000 feet depth. I like to compare the depth as shown on the chart plotter w the sounders. When visibility is zero all those things seem helpful.
I like to have two sounders on my boats. One high end good quality digital unit w large LC display. I like the large numerals so I can flash my eyes on it and get a good reading without having to spend any time looking for it or reading the numbers. In very tight places w lots of rocks or shallow bottoms I consider this a real plus. The run of the bottom as displayed on the fish finder often is very useful as well. And of course having two sounders is good if/when one quits.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Thursday 4th of November 2010 10:56:50 AM
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:34 PM   #10
FF
Guru

My sounders usually work well to almost 1000 feet depth. I like to compare the depth as shown on the chart plotter w the sounders. When visibility is zero all those things seem helpful.

You bet , navigation with NO outside help would be worth the wait till the boat IS hauled.

A chart strip depth sounder is a navigation tool of the first order!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:20 AM   #11
Guru

FF just curious where you boat or have boated that is 1000 feet deep.
Not sure I've ever seen anything over about 300 ish.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:51 AM   #12
Scraping Paint

City: -
Depth Sounders

Thousand foot depths are rare but are around in the PNW and up the Inside Passage and into BC and SE Alaska. The depth at the time this photo was taken was somewhere over 900' as I recall.

-- Edited by Marin on Friday 5th of November 2010 12:52:43 PM
Attached Thumbnails
p10257.jpg  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:38 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
jleonard wrote:

FF just curious where you boat or have boated that is 1000 feet deep.
Not sure I've ever seen anything over about 300 ish.
He was probably driving his truck over a gourge.

Sorry I could not resist. Chuck
Capn Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:54 PM   #14
TF Site Team

Marin:

Lewis Channel?
Old 11-05-2010, 08:20 PM   #15
Scraping Paint

I don't remember. I just remember being impressed with the depth and decided to take a picture to show how deep it can be up here so close to shore.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:51 AM   #16
FF
Guru

Depth Sounders

"FF just curious where you boat or have boated that is 1000 feet deep.
Not sure I've ever seen anything over about 300 ish."

AS a cruising sailor , we got into the Blue water.

When approaching/departing Puerto Rico its 6000ft.

Much of the East coast , once off the shelf (roughly about 200 miles) is fairly deep.

The use for a depth sounder is to find a line , that can be found on a chart that will allow an estimate of position to be made.

This can be crossed with a commercial radio station , or two for a good EP, Estimated position.

-- Edited by FF on Saturday 6th of November 2010 04:54:09 AM
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:13 AM   #17
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin

Quote:
FF wrote:When approaching/departing Puerto Rico its 6000ft.
While marlin fishing off of San Juan, PR* I've seen this depth and deeper.

Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:26 AM   #18
TF Site Team

There may be a need for accurate depth information in depths greater than 600 feet, but so far, in 40 yrs of boating, I haven't come across it, so whether the sounders I use would achieve that accuracy by mounting the transducer thru hull instead of in hull is of no importance to me whatsoever.

I have frequently been in waters charted to thousands of feet, and occasionally I have seen a reading in the thousands on my sounder. Once I stopped to retrieve a prawn trap that was fishing in 1400 feet, so my sounder told me this one had drifted away. I could just as easily have checked the chart for the same information.

Thru hull requires a fairing block on the outside, in order to get the angle right, and a bronze TH that generally costs $200 or $300 more than the in hull or transom mount transducer. It also requires a haulout for installation.

My boat has 3 thru hull transducers. None are connected to anything, as the failure rate of the electronics caught up with each of them. So now I have a disposal problem that I have ignored. In hull failures can be easily removed.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:39 AM   #19
Scraping Paint

Quote:
koliver wrote:

There may be a need for accurate depth information in depths greater than 600 feet, but so far, in 40 yrs of boating, I haven't come across it, so whether the sounders I use would achieve that accuracy by mounting the transducer thru hull instead of in hull is of no importance to me whatsoever.

If you were trying to cap a blown-out oil well 5,000' down accurate depth information would probably be somewhat handy.* But other than that or things like that, I agree with you.* Once the depth gets more than about 100' I'm not all that interested anymore.* And as you say, you can get any deep water information you need off the charts.* Of course. that's assuming you HAVE charts.* A surprising number of boaters don't.....

Old 11-06-2010, 09:25 PM   #20
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34

Quote:
Marin wrote:

Thousand foot depths are rare but are around in the PNW and up the Inside Passage and into BC and SE Alaska. The depth at the time this photo was taken was somewhere over 900' as I recall.

-- Edited by Marin on Friday 5th of November 2010 12:52:43 PM
Well, I don't know if it's just me Marin, but I can't read the depthsounder, but by God that Rocna looks the business up there on the pulpit.* Only it would'nt be much good to you in 900 feet.* Not even Eric's chain/rope rode would help you anchor there.....

Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote