Depth sounder replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LeoKa

Guru
Vessel Name
Ironsides
Vessel Make
54' Bruce Roberts steel sailboat hull, coastal LRC, 220HP CAT 3306.
I am pulling the boat for work in March. It will be on the dry for few days. One of my goal is the replace my depth sounder. It is not working. I would need some guidance, based on experience, how to do it and what to watch out for?
I attach a photo. Can you identify this model and what can I replace it with?
Thanks.

IMG_1140.jpg

The photo is just the transducer for the depth sounder. Their is or was the helm mounted depth sounder. While most transducers are made by one company (Airmar) the depth finder is usually paired with the transducer. Do you have the depth sounder at your helm? It is not uncommon in older boats that an older sounder might have been removed but the hull mounted transducer was left in place. Otherwise you would need to glass over the hole. If this is the case you likely will want to buy a new depth sounder that meets your needs and have the new thru hull transducer installed in place of this old one. There are many options ranging from a basic digital depth display to forward scanning sonars.

Have you followed the cable from the transducer to see where it goes? It maybe a left over transducer from a previous depthfinder. Or it may be the current transducer that doesn’t work. If it is the current transducer then just remove it and replace it with a new one. If it is an old out of use transducer then I would remove it and glass the hole closed. To remove it can be easy or very difficult depending on what they used to install it. If they used 5200 it can be challenging to get it out. You can use a heat gun to try and soften the 5200. There is a product called Debond that is reported to work well in removing 5200. If you are going to replace it with a new one try to find one with the same size transducer so it will fit into the existing hole, but a lot of them fit the same size hole. Good luck.

I should have given more info.

Yes, this transducer is connected to a Garmin chart plotter. It was working for few months, after I bought the boat 2 years ago. Later, it started to give false readings, or no readings.
The cable from the transducer runs up around the wall somewhere and ends up in the back of the plotter.

I looked up on the web this model (Airmar B150M 12degree) and it is available. What I could not figure out is do I buy stainless steel, or bronze? My boat is steel.
What is the material I need to use to seal the space between the unit and the hull? Can I use the existing elements for the installation, or everything needs to be new? I have never done this job, so I am not clear on everything.

Finally, can I, should I, look into newer models for replacement, or just buy the same model? I don’t need anything special, just a solid depth measurement.

IMG_0843.jpg

IMG_0844.jpg

IMG_0486.jpg

IMG_0275.jpg

I ended up hiring a professional to do the job. It is all good and seals well.

I ended up hiring a professional to do the job. It is all good and seals well.

Very wise move. When it comes to thru hulls, I too tend to hire a professional. I do watch and learn a lot this way.
Glad to hear it all worked out.

Very wise move. When it comes to thru hulls, I too tend to hire a professional. I do watch and learn a lot this way.

Glad to hear it all worked out.

I did not have time to watch, as I was busy with cleaning the ‘ sea chest ‘.
I hope this type of work does not need to be done frequently.
I agree, I like to learn from others, too.

IMG_0745.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom