Decent horn for boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mncruiser

Vessel Name
Phoenix
Vessel Make
Mainship 390
Howdy,

I'm looking for suggestions on installing a horn on the boat. Boat is a 2006 Monterey 302 cruiser. It has an arch. We mainly boat on Mississippi and St. Croix rivers in Minnesota, with plans to move the boat to Lake Superior in a few years.

The worthless cheapo car horn at the bow was replaced by me by 2 years ago with an equally worthless "marine" replacement. I've decided that the style and location of the existing horns are not ideal.

I'm not looking for the loudest horn available, but want a sufficiently loud horn to signal if needed. I also am not looking for the highest end model, the boat may be sold in a few years, but also want to install something not totally worthless for the next proud owner!

I've seen some models that are only electric (12v) but I'm suspicious that they won't be loud and may not be good quality. What is more common seems to be a horn with a compressor and then a switch to operate. What is not clear, do I need some sort of accumulator tank somewhere, or is the compressor and horn all I would need? Also, single or dual horns?

As far as mounting, my plan was to remove an unused TV antenna and put the horn in its place, this would be almost directly above the helm, slightly behind. Any concern about it being mounted right above the helm?

As always, THANK YOU for the advice!

Thanks

Sean

ASD installed train horns on his boat, but they are load. Complete kit I think was around $600, compressor, tank, horns, wiring and lines. Ill see if I can find the post he did awhile back.

I would suggest NOT putting the horn behind where you will be standing. In front and below you will allow you to hear after using the horn.

I would suggest NOT putting the horn behind where you will be standing. In front and below you will allow you to hear after using the horn.

Agreed. Next time I’m on the boat I’m going to see exactly where the arch hits. The base of the arch is behind me but it slants forward and may be above me. Thanks!

The air horn is the way to go for longevity and volume.

Marinco and Sea Dog manufacture quality long lasting air horns for less than $200

Most of the standard electric horns last 2 to 3 years and eventually quits when the internals corrode.

The Marinco air horn that I installed 18 years ago just got replaced with another Marinco dual trumpet. It was working fine but the chrome was looking shabby.

I have a very loud, wonderfully-sounding dual-horn which is air powered, from Kahlenberg. Requires taking-up-space for compressor and air tank. Suits me, nevertheless.

Attachments

• turning from berth.jpg
    turning from berth.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Pictures if it helps

I believe the arch slants enough forward that the horn would be right above the helm..... (pic)

Attachments

• IMG_0897.jpg
    IMG_0897.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 96
I have a very loud, wonderfully-sounding dual-horn which is air powered, from Kahlenberg. Requires taking-up-space for compressor and air tank. Suits me, nevertheless.
I also have a Kahlenberg horn on my boat. Tookthe novel approach of running it off a very small scuba tank (use to be in that business). Horns unlike whistles, use very little air unless you're trying to be really annoying. I haven't had to refill the tank in 3 years.

2019-07-16 20.44.01.jpg

Ted

The Marinco and Seadog air horns use a small compressor about the size of a Coke can, no air tank.

The dual trumpet is very loud but not as loud as the more expensive air horns with large compressors and air tanks.

Agree with OC Diver, but don't use a scuba tank, use CO2, cuz you can have a much smaller tank.

I have a dual buell air horn - loud as ****. Runs for years off of a single tank of CO2 - no compressor or anything. Probably the cheapest way out, plus nothing to break, just a tank of CO2 to fill up every few years.

This year on the 4th in the Charles River, Boston, some guy on a different boat: 'now that is a horn!'

I also have a Kahlenberg horn on my boat. Tookthe novel approach of running it off a very small scuba tank (use to be in that business). Horns unlike whistles, use very little air unless you're trying to be really annoying. I haven't had to refill the tank in 3 years.

I've likewise got a Kahlenberg setup... mine has a leak somewhere and the compressor kicks on at annoying intervals. I may look into the small tank setup, got any links to accomplishing the task?

I doubt he wants to spend the $800+ needed for a Kahlenberg on a 30 ft cruiser. Seems like a bit of overkill and over budget given his stated needs and intentions.

I would like horns that make me sound like the Queen Mary.
Alas, I have no space for the installation of a huge air compressor or air tank.

Agree with OC Diver, but don't use a scuba tank, use CO2, cuz you can have a much smaller tank.

I have a dual buell air horn - loud as ****. Runs for years off of a single tank of CO2 - no compressor or anything. Probably the cheapest way out, plus nothing to break, just a tank of CO2 to fill up every few years.

This year on the 4th in the Charles River, Boston, some guy on a different boat: 'now that is a horn!'
Not to brag but I have a triple Buell powered by CO2 and yes, indeed, it is the loudest horn I have ever heard on the water. It came with the boat. Awhile back I participated in a thread whetein I was assured that the CO2 would run out quickly. Admittedly, I have not had occasion to use it often but it still blows loudly after a year and one-half which is no measure, I know. I owned the boat for five years before I ecchanged for a full tank before leaving on a one-year cruise.

View attachment 91097

Ted
Small scuba tank....what a smart idea. My Kahlenberg compressor is hellish loud with huge power demand. If it's ever craps out I'll remember this.

If you are looking for inexpensive solution, just use a West Marine handheld signal air horn. Another cheap option is a (motorcycle) air horn kit from Harbor Freight. Having said that we had a Buell that sounded like an ocean liner!!

I've likewise got a Kahlenberg setup... mine has a leak somewhere and the compressor kicks on at annoying intervals. I may look into the small tank setup, got any links to accomplishing the task?

Between the tank, 1st stage regulator, some fittings and a pressure gauge, your probably looking at $500 new. I had everything used lying around, rebuilt everything, and had next to nothing in the setup. CO2 would certainly be a cheaper initial and continuing cost. See warning about CO2 at the end of the post.

Not to brag but I have a triple Buell powered by CO2 and yes, indeed, it is the loudest horn I have ever heard on the water. It came with the boat. Awhile back I participated in a thread whetein I was assured that the CO2 would run out quickly. Admittedly, I have not had occasion to use it often but it still blows loudly after a year and one-half which is no measure, I know. I owned the boat for five years before I ecchanged for a full tank before leaving on a one-year cruise.

CO2 is a liquid that vaporizes in the tank as it's used, just like propane. Filling the same tank to around 2,000 psi with air, the tank with CO2 will have approximately 3 times as much gas at ambient pressure as the air tank.

Small scuba tank....what a smart idea. My Kahlenberg compressor is hellish loud with huge power demand. If it's ever craps out I'll remember this.

I like my scuba tank system although it is more costly for initial purchase. The big risk with CO2 is that if you develop a leak, depending where the leak is, it could easily kill you! My tank is in my pilothouse. With the pilothouse windows and doors closed, if the tank emptied, approximately 50 cuft. of CO2 would be in the pilothouse, enough to easily kill me. With the tank in the engine room, if it leaked down over a few days, there might be enough to kill you when you went down to do the prestart engine room check.

Food for thought when dealing with CO2. :eek:

Ted

Last edited:
With time, any small compressor will fill a tank. Most air horns are loud with 100PSH of air so a used 20lb propane BBQ bottle will work fine.

Look up Miller Smith CO2 regulator. I bought mine for about $90. You should be able to use your same solenoid. I had the CO2 bottle on the boat already, which I had refilled. I have a feeling if you stop by your nearest airgas they'll sell you a bottle full of CO2, just bring the regulator in with you so they can match fittings. Then all you need is one (or a couple) of the plastic crush washers that goes between the regulator and bottle, and whatever fitting to attach to your solenoid.

I did this and it worked great. Purchased a cheap "pancake" compressor from Harbor Frieght for less than a $100 , mounted it in the engine room, plumbed it to the horn. It is 120v but it runs a few minutes once a week or so. Also put a T in the line, now I have compressed air when needed. Amazing how many times one uses it if one has it.
(NOte that is a complete compressor set with regulator, tank and over pressure relief.)

CCC

Attachments

• D95480C6-4722-4FF9-904C-154711480757.jpeg
    D95480C6-4722-4FF9-904C-154711480757.jpeg
    17.7 KB · Views: 47
  • CB362A58-B7F3-4141-9049-EC3FF09463DF.jpeg
    CB362A58-B7F3-4141-9049-EC3FF09463DF.jpeg
    12.4 KB · Views: 50
Alas, no room in the ER for a tank and compressor.
I do have a single bell air horn. I would like a small 'toot toot' air horn, to use in confined quarter - sort fitting for my American Tug.
I would also like a air horn that makes my boat sound like the Queen Mary and scare the crap out of other boater. SMILE

Perhaps I can use a 3 bell Hatteras horn??? They always seem to get attention. SMILE Alas, I cant seem to find one. SHRUG

Last edited:
Twin Electric trumpet horn I have, eventually mud wasps build nests inside them, and then got to take it apart. They definitely are not as loud as twin air horn which I still have, but the pump failed and the diaphragm was brass and corroded. I replaced with bottom from a tin can, and wow is that loud when pumping into them 100 psi. Those are real nice. You adjust by screwing the chromed trumpet in and out to set the tone. But unless I find the right thin brass and a decent air pump useless for the boat. So i am just being practical and rarely if ever use it anyway.

I have another chromed marine I got from West Marine. It looks like a car horn, I could mount on the other side of the flybridge. Which will give me 3 horns. I think I will do that.

Last edited:
OC Drivers caution about CO2 should be taken seriously. I retired from 35 years of working in chemical plants and have been at sites which had 4 fatalities between them resulting from entry into confined spaces with inert atmospheres (nitrogen, CO2). Without an O2 meter (or a canary) it is difficult to detect oxygen deficient atmospheres until it’s too late. There are instances of tragic secondary fatalities of brave, but ill-equipped, rescuers who did not recognize the hazards.

I doubt he wants to spend the $800+ needed for a Kahlenberg on a 30 ft cruiser. Seems like a bit of overkill and over budget given his stated needs and intentions.

My Kahlenberg air horn (twins) is quite loud. Nobody should be forward of it when using. Horn, compressor, air tank and controller cost several thousand dollars. Paid for by opting out of the teak-deck option.

Last edited:
OC Drivers caution about CO2 should be taken seriously. I retired from 35 years of working in chemical plants and have been at sites which had 4 fatalities between them resulting from entry into confined spaces with inert atmospheres (nitrogen, CO2). Without an O2 meter (or a canary) it is difficult to detect oxygen deficient atmospheres until it’s too late. There are instances of tragic secondary fatalities of brave, but ill-equipped, rescuers who did not recognize the hazards.

Yes, must have an independent air supply.

I love real air horns. Kahlenberg and Buell are great. The Kahlenberg website is fun because you can hear the horn you’re interested in.
https://www.kahlenberg.com/products/marine-signaling/yachting-yacht-horns/model-k-460-chrome

Now for some real fun, how about a whistle instead of a horn? Sounds very cool but needs a lot of air or better still steam!
https://www.kahlenberg.com/products/industrial-signaling/air-and-steam-whistles

Love pea whistles! I did ship docking for years and miss the signals...

My Kahlenberg air horn (twins) is quite loud. Nobody should be forward of it when using. Horn, compressor, air tank and controller cost several thousand dollars. Paid for by opting out of the teak-deck option.

Exactly my point. I think your horns were north of $4K installed. That's a steep bill for most boaters...especially the 30-footer crowd. Also, your horn is neither size/sound appropriate nor safe for a 30 ft boat. 100 ft? Maybe.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom