DECCA breaker label id?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ofer

Guru
Vessel Name
Unicorn
Vessel Make
1970 50' DEFEVER OFFSHORE CRUISER Timber
I have a 12V breaker label DECCA by the PO. cant seem to follow wires and don't know what its for. any ideas?

I think the DEECA navigation system was mostly in Europe.
DECCA was a big name in radars, marine and military

It was around here and there. The Nova Scotia area and some in the Bahamas too IIRC.

I remember charts with Decca lines and maybe some equipment from wayyyyy back on older USCG ships... if any of my older memories are still accurate.

Here it was LORAN A. I saw it and one of the fishermen I knew demonstrated
it to me, pretty involved. Thankfully by the time I started offshore we had
LORAN C, but a very basic unit compared to later models

An old long gone piece of electronic gear. I would bet the breaker feeds the gps now.
What goes dead when you turn it off?

Last edited:
Maybe it was abandoned but left to fill the hole. Take a look behind to see if any wires are connected to it.

If turning it off doesn't seem to stop anything immediately then maybe what ever is powered by it now only operates intermittently. It may take some sleuthing.

Are there any markings/labels for amperage ratings? The toggle itself may not but if not then the body behind likely will have some rating info.

Maybe a DC ammeter, clamp on or inline would answer if what ever is connected or not is drawing any power. If power is flowing than something is connected.
Now you just have the fun of finding out what.

Last edited:
Blast from the Past…

The British built Decca 101 became an enormously popular radar, utilizing the transceiver up construction, thus eliminating the need for waveguide and moving the transceiver out of the cabin and up into the antenna. Although the Decca 101 was advertised as a small boat radar, it still required two men to lift the scanner unit onto its mounting platform.

Source - Our History

Attachments

• 99CC2D04-7E18-4E27-BFD7-259BE95D3BEC.jpeg
    99CC2D04-7E18-4E27-BFD7-259BE95D3BEC.jpeg
    13.4 KB · Views: 24

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom