Data points for the Eva-Dry 2200 dehumidifier

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwnall

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Morgan
Vessel Make
Gulfstar 36
I've had my Eva-Dry 2200 dehumidifier for a bit over a month now, and since I just got the monthly statement from the marina thought I would share the data points on the experience so far of running it on the boat to keep the internal moisture down.

First of all, it appears to add about $3 a month to my electric bill at the marina (we are charged separately for electricity), running 24/7. I can live with that.

Second, there have been reports of it overheating. To be more specific, the transformer (which steps it down from 120V AC to 12V DC) gets very warm. But it has never gotten so hot that I cannot hold it in my hand. I would most certainly recommend that the transformer have good ventilation, however. I keep it on top of a metal stove top, with plenty of air flow around it. I suspect that the 6-amp draw is right at the engineering limit of the transformer. I do not trash Chinese stuff necessarily, but they do not appear to do the over-engineering that I am used with with American-made stuff. If it says 12 volts at 6 amps then that is probably all that it is capable of doing. (I have a 30-amp 12-volt power supply at home which is doing nothing since I got inactive on ham radio, so may just use that instead).

I have two of them on a timer so they run about 4-5 hours twice a day for ~8-10 hour total. Also allows them to cool off.
One power supply, wall wart, died but I found a suitable one on Newark. I just had to solder the Eva Dry plug to the wall wart. Worked well this last winter and when running it is much cooler.

Newark part number was WSU-090-3500 for 9V. at $25.90

Since I have solar charging as my backup charging source should the dock power fail, running the 2200 on 12VDC is not an issue for my primary house bank. I also modified the units to drain into my sinks or overboard.
Bill

Since I have solar charging as my backup charging source should the dock power fail, running the 2200 on 12VDC is not an issue for my primary house bank. I also modified the units to drain into my sinks or overboard.
Bill

The thing that I would worry about when running the Eva-Dry from the battery is whether or not excessive voltage might harm the electronics. Not saying it would -- I have no idea one way or the other -- but since the Chinese cut the engineering specs so close it is something that I would worry about. My power supply has adjustable voltage, so I would run it at exactly 12 volts. Probably any American made unit would handle 13.6 volts quite nicely, but the Chinese are inscrutable.

I think that almost everyone has made the modification to drain into sinks, etc. There was a picture posted on an earlier thread about this, showing a tube stuck into the front of the receptacle which holds the water, and so a quick drill bit and a piece of unused stiff plastic tubing, and voila!

That's why I have my units fused. Now a fuse won't always protect from a slow burn but since the units sit on Corian counters there's nothing to burn except the fuse. I have not heard of the actual unit getting hot only the AC power supplies which I don't use. If you are asking if I think even 14.2 volts would harm these units I haven't had issue with either unit in 2 years.
Bill

If you are asking if I think even 14.2 volts would harm these units I haven't had issue with either unit in 2 years.
Bill

So, another good data point. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom