Cummins 5.9 bt 1987 starter replacement issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim Bedell

Does anyone have any information on how to get the old starter out. There is a lot of talk on the internet about the third bolt being a problem, what I need to know is exactly what kind of socket would you need to get those weird bolts out without stripping them.

I have freed up one of them and I'm about to try the third bolt behind the starter. But it is a tight fit and I'm hoping I can get a long 3/8 in extension behind the starter to get it on the bolt. What would be the recommendation as to whether or not I should use an extractor.? Part of the discussion has been whether or not I should use my 3/8 Drive Black & Decker hammer drill or I should put a breaker bar on it and try to just move that nut. I cannot get a torch in there to heat up the area into which the bolt fits, and anyway there are fuel lines nearby I wouldn't try it even if I could see the nut.

Last point to ask, I haven't gone down this road yet, is whether or not I can get a replacement part for a 1987 Cummins 5.9 BT.

I have never done this on a Cummins, but in similar situations I have used a 3/8" extension with a universal joint between it and the socket. That has let me get at many difficult to reach bolts.

First try just a breaker bar to see if it will move. If not while using reasonable force an impact wrench will usually work but I doubt if you can get one on the extension. As long as you have a good bolt head, don't even think about drilling and using an extractor.

Cummins dealers usually can get you any part you need. One in California that is superb is Seaboard Marine at Sbmar.com.

David

I don't know your setup so just my thoughts such as they are.

Which weird bolts? What are the heads. Are they 6 points, a typical hex head, or are they a 12point. If a 12 point then you must have a 12 point socket. Are they metric?

Even if they are 6 point, a standard hex head, and you don't have a 6 pt socket then get one. A 12 pt in this case, if very tight may strip the bolt head and then you are in trouble.

My very different and much larger starter used a standard hex head, 6 pt head. I used a 6 pt socket.

Can you get a 1/2 drive in there. Often times a larger, longer heavier duty ratchet of the next drive size up will break it free easily where an undersized setup will simply twist.. Then go back to the smaller ratcheting setup once free for easier removal.

Just for chuckles I wasted money YEARS ago on a beautiful S.O. long breaker bar, 1/2 drive. I thought it would be the kitties meow for those tight bolts I was having a discussion with..

Boy was I wrong. It acted like a torsion bar. Useless but pretty. I do still have it holding my tool box down.

I bought a 3/4" ratchet and I got the bolt off with no more trouble without the torsion bar effect.

Sometimes size does matter and trying to work with a to small tool is fruitless or at least frustrating and may damage what you are trying to release.

And yes a flex head may help and have a selection of different length extensions so you are not trying to fight with a to long or to short reach.

I changed the starter on my 5.6BT and don’t remember having much trouble. Just used the sockets and extensions I had in my tool box.

Back
Top Bottom