Old 05-24-2019, 08:32 AM   #1

City: Ottawa, Canada
Vessel Name: GYPSY
Vessel Model: Mariner 37 PH aka Helmsman 38
Cross-over switch question

Hi: your help needed to understand best use of the cross-over switch. Here are the facts to help you understand my set up.

My house and starting batteries are isolated.
I have twin engines; one charges the house, the other charges the starting battery
Solar panels and charger/inverter only service the house battery

Here's the question: should i turn the cross-over switch on when at the dock so the charge services both house and starting battery? What harm can i do?

Many thanks

Barrie
Barrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:10 AM   #2
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
I am not a fan of things that you have to do manually. It is easy to forget and I prefer no thinking solutions like battery combiners. A battery combiner would do the same thing as your cross over switch.

Having said that there is no harm in manually connecting them at the dock, or underway. Just be sure to disconnect them at anchor. It would be best if all batteries are the same type, ie flooded cell.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 01:08 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
By "Cross-over" switch I assume you mean the Battery Switch (1; 2; Both; OFF) and not the cross-over for the generator to power both sides of the VAC panel.

From your battery charger, follow the positive leads to the batteries. I assume you have a multi-bank charger with a charging leg connected to each battery/bank.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 03:45 PM   #4

City: Ottawa, Canada
Vessel Name: GYPSY
Vessel Model: Mariner 37 PH aka Helmsman 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
By "Cross-over" switch I assume you mean the Battery Switch (1; 2; Both; OFF) and not the cross-over for the generator to power both sides of the VAC panel.

From your battery charger, follow the positive leads to the batteries. I assume you have a multi-bank charger with a charging leg connected to each battery/bank.
I don't have a 1,2 Both off. I have 3 "on/off" switches. one for the house batteries and one for each engine. On my electrical panel there is a "cross-over" switch that allows me to use house batteries to start engines if the start engine fails. Sounds like it might be the same thing.
My house batteries are 6- 6 volt tied together to give me 12 volts. the start battery is one big 12 volt battery. So my concern is am i doing any harm tying all together to receive a common charge at the dock from either the solar panels or shore power charger.
many thanks

Barrie
Barrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 04:39 PM   #5
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Shrew's point above is still valid. If you have a charger with two outputs one may be connected to the house and the other connected to the start battery. This keeps them isolated but charges both. In this case there is no advantage to cross connecting them while on shore power.

Easy enough to check. Look at the shore power charger. If it has only one output then no good. But if two then follow them and see where they go- probably as above.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote