Connectivity with wireless router under the helm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDCAVE

Guru
Vessel Name
Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Given the maze of cabling and wires under typical helms, are there any issues with locating a wireless router under the helm station? I’m thinking of putting a wireless router underneath my helm station and connecting the Nemo gateway to it. I could then connect the NUC and various tablets and other devices to it. Comments?

Jim

The less obstructions to the router from the places the devices it will hook to the better, in my opinion and practice.

Thanks CTF. It might still end up going under the helm.

Jim

I think you will be fine.

Our wifi router is in a very busy electronics equipment cabinet andf works great.

Thanks CTF. It might still end up going under the helm.

Jim

Certainly no harm in trying. My comment was a result of seeing measurable improvement a few times by repositioning the router to a more unobstructed location. That's not to say they didn't work when jammed away.

A typical router can cover a 2500 square foot house.... Since you'll probable never be more than 30 feet from the router anywhere on your boat, I'm sure you'll be fine.

I just checked and am getting a -55 Dbm while sitting in the pilothuse.

That is a GREAT signal level

I have my router in among all the other wiring and it works fine.

My router is in that location and super crowded physically and electrically. Works perfectly though an older and basic model. I am about to replace it with a MikroTik hAP ac Lite....much more powerful WiFi.....in same location

As long as your boat isn't steel or aluminum, you'll be ok. Anyone behind the tanks might have a problem since you'll only get a signal bounced off something else. Fiberglass is RF transparent for the most part.

Thanks guys. I’ll give it a go under the helm then.

My router is in that location and super crowded physically and electrically. Works perfectly though an older and basic model. I am about to replace it with a MikroTik hAP ac Lite....much more powerful WiFi.....in same location

Hey, I'm in that same thread with you over on SailBits and very much look forward to hearing about your experience with this project. I will likely be following that path later in the year.

My router is in a pretty busy place and seems to work ok.

Attachments

• IMG_0167.jpg
    IMG_0167.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 70
That's a neat layout BeeJay. I aspire to get mine to 70% of that when my current electronics project is complete!

Thank you Aquabelle, it’s a work in progress. I’m slowly working through it and understanding it. My boats a lot smaller than yours so not many systems to deal with. I attacked the stuff I was really unhappy with and will slowly work through the rest piecemeal.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom