Commercial Chart Plotter or PC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Restitution

Vessel Name
"Restitution"
Vessel Make
38' Californian
I will be cruising the Columbia River, from Astoria to the Dalles, Oregon.* Mostly will be within 20 miles of where moored, in Kelso Washington though.*

Would it make sense financially without compromising safety, to stick with my lap top and a program such as OpenCPN or SeaClear?*

Presently I also have 25 year old radar and 20 year old fish finder and VHF.* All do work.*

I need to keep within a budget that allows me to spend $$ where necessary and not where the retail store's tell me to spend it.* Suggestions?*

Sam:* To save $$'s *I'd use the PC.* I bet after 2 or 3 times you won't even turn it on.* Though*I'm not sure you need anything (chart plotter or PC) if you stick to the cruising area you mentioned.* Charts are*good*and the river is well buoyed.*

A "real" chartplotter is worth its weight in gold. Well, that's an exageration, but it's worth the money it costs. Look at the screen and you see the chart for the area with a symbol of your boat in its exact location. Add sonar and you see the actual depth under your boat. You can set a warning for shallow water.

Anchor and set the drift alarm and it wakes you up if you're dragging anchor.

I wouldn't be without it.

Ron does bring up a point re: dragging anchor.* Do you know if the PC based programs with GPS will tell you if your dragging anchor?* I can only assume that programs such as OpenCPN allow for such things?

Ron, in checking prices, they vary from $550 to $2,000?* I presently have two depth sounders which offer some redundancy.* You bring up a valid point with regard to the draging anchor notification.* Thank you for your input

I have a pretty sophisticated and expensive xenarc pc based nav system using Rose Point *backed up by a Garmin 4212. GPS, Autopilot, AIS, DSC all multiplexed and any or all can stand alone. My anchor alarm? A free program available for any idevice or android. Handiest thing since a pocket on a t-shirt!

For your needs use your laptop and get Drag Queen.:number1:

I'm not a fan of PC-based navigation and we don't have or use a system like this on our boat. But given your cruising area and the fact that your current electronics work okay and that you are wanting to keep costs down I'd say go with the PC-based nav system.

I will say that the current generation radar is a far cry from what was considered state-of-the-art twenty years ago. Our boat had a 1980s vintage Raytheon 2600 radar and we felt it was sufficient for our needs. But a few years ago when the CRT began to fail we replaced it with a new Furuno NavNet VX2 with a C-Map plotter function. To say the new radar was a world of improvement over the old one is an understatement. But had the Raytheon not started to fail, we would not have replaced it.

I've not used any of the PC-based nav systems I so can't offer any opinion on the ones you mentioned. But if you don't mind layering your nav system on top of the latest unintuitive operating system cooked up by the Microsoft Kids, laptop-based navigation can be an effective and economical way to go.

maptech's "Offshore Navigator" is a nice inexpensive PC-based chartplotter program that runs with numerous GPS units including a couple that they sell. It provides a plug-it-in and play-it nav system that can be easily moved to different computers and offers many features of the more expensive programs.
With the low price of laptops you could buy the program, the GPS unit, a primary laptop for the helm station, and a cheap used back-up for not many $$. We've used it for several years on the Columbia (Kalama), the San Juans, and the Gulf Islands. It includes moving map, speed, and multiple track and waypoint options including autopilot output.
Cheapest Nav is Navionics on an Iphone or Ipad.

Personally, I wouldn't consider a boat, especially a cruising boat, to be complete without a navigation system. And I would take a chart plotter over radar any day.

I realize, not everyone shares my view so I suppose a PC based navigation system would work for some folks.

I operate from my flybridge 95% of the time and I don't think a PC would work well there. I would have no place to put it where I could see it, the display would not be readable in sunlight, and I doubt the PC would hold up to the elements for very long.

With my plotter, I like the ease of removing the cover, pressing the "on" button, selecting the route I created earlier at home, and just following it.

Yes, my system cost a few $$, but the cost was small compared to the cost of the boat. I have no regrets.

Sam wrote:
Ron does bring up a point re: dragging anchor.* Do you know if the PC based programs with GPS will tell you if your dragging anchor?* I can only assume that programs such as OpenCPN allow for such things?

*Sam:* Down load Open CPN and take a look at it.* It does have an anchor alarm and also will accept AIS and other inputs.* But doesn't your existing GPS have an anchor alarm/watch function?*
confuse.gif

Larry M wrote:Sam wrote:

*Sam:* Down load Open CPN and take a look at it.* It does have an anchor alarm and also will accept AIS and other inputs.* But doesn't your existing GPS have an anchor alarm/watch function?*
confuse.gif

*I agree.* Brought my new to me boat from Ft lauderdale to New Jersey last year with pc based nav.* For me the whole setup but the laptop was free.* OpenCPN free, all the charts free and the puck GPS was given to me by someone who couldn't figure it out (but one from internet $30 bucks or a road mapping software is good enough).

The advantage of this type charting is you have the charts too with a backup CD they can be on another computer too as backup.

I would still buy a cheapo handheld GPS or have your car one (if it can give you lat/long) that you can use as a backup GPS.

If you nav from the flybridge...a laptop is tough but not impossible to see...but if that's the place where you normally drive...I'd spring for the cheapest Garmin fixed mount internal antenna for use on the bridge. (and that will be the backup for my boat...I'll get one with the fishfinder option).

Of course that's the inexpensive way out.* If I come across $5000...there are better setups and I'd use the PC based one as backup and planning.

Columbia River? You'd be fine with one of the car units from Pep-Boys! Just stay in the blue area!

I forgot to mention that unless you have a dedicated PC system set up for naving and running your vessel....I'm not into all the fancy connections that I would want to go through to export NEMA to autopilots, radios, etc...(but then again it might be easy...just haven't done it yet)

If you don't want your PC setup*too complicated, then a dedicated small GPS is great for exporting NEMA to things like your DSC radio for emergencies.

We just went through a laptop failure on our nav system. When we fired up to leave the dock at Cow Bay close to 2 weeks ago now the faithful Dell Latitude that I bought over 10 years ago and used as my prime laptop until last year was completely dead.* So I swapped in my current laptop which always has all the charts, routes and software installed and away we went.* Today I picked the Dell up from a laptop repair place on Aurora Ave by Green Lake complete with a new keyboard for the princely sum of $140, including rush delivery.* Sometime this summer I think I'll buy a 2nd Dell D830 twin for the one we currently use.* I've got spare parts for everything from the ****ters to the sonar so why not have another spare nav computer.

I'm sure somebody might say "see - they're not reliable - not rugged enough for the marine environment".* My response is that we didn't lose more than 5 minutes swapping in the 2nd computer which was onboard anyway.* And did I mention I'm good to go again for a total expense of $140?* I spent more than that replacing one seacock.

"Personally, I wouldn't consider a boat, especially a cruising boat, to be complete without a navigation system.'

Gee , that's how I feel about a nav table and a genuine paper chart, AND A RUNNING DR.

bobofthenorth wrote:
*"I'm sure somebody might say "see - they're not reliable - not rugged enough for the marine environment".* My response is that we didn't lose more than 5 minutes swapping in the 2nd computer which was onboard anyway.* And did I mention I'm good to go again for a total expense of $140?* I spent more than that replacing one seacock."
*Has anyone ever tried a all-in-one PC on a boat, instead of a laptop??* I always take my laptop with me when we are going out for more than*a couple of days and was thinking of buying a lap top to leave on the boat.* I toured a large king crab boat that was being*fitted out last year*and they had*four of these on board, two in the pilot house.**

The price is right and have the option to use wireless keyboard and mouse.* Nice sized monitor and Windows 7 operating system?
<h1>ViewSonic VPC101_BU2AET All-In-One PC - Intel Atom Single Core 230 1.6GHz, 1GB DDR2, 160GB HDD, WiFi-G, 18.5" Widescreen Display, Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit, Black* |* Model#:*VPC101_BU2AET* $449.00</h1>

Attachments

• viewsonic.jpg
    viewsonic.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 91
FF wrote:
"Personally, I wouldn't consider a boat, especially a cruising boat, to be complete without a navigation system.'

Gee , that's how I feel about a nav table and a genuine paper chart, AND A RUNNING DR.

What's a "RUNNING DR"* ?

rwidman wrote:FF wrote:

What's a "RUNNING DR"* ?

Dead Reckoning

Dead Reconing*

Edelweiss wrote:
Has anyone ever tried a all-in-one PC on a boat, instead of a laptop??* I always take my laptop with me when we are going out for more than*a couple of days and was thinking of buying a lap top to leave on the boat.* I toured a large king crab boat that was being*fitted out last year*and they had*four of these on board, two in the pilot house.**

The price is right and have the option to use wireless keyboard and mouse.* Nice sized monitor and Windows 7 operating system?
You know if you tore the box apart there's not really that much inside a desktop computer.**A bunch of what's in there is the power supply and you could buoyancy test*that*because you've already got DC power onboard - just need some DC-DC voltage changers to supply the motherboard.* We ran into a guy a few years ago who had done exactly that in his fifth wheel.* He was into minimalistic existence, solar power, no genset, yada yada yada so he had re-engineered his computer to be more power efficient but it would also make it more space efficient.*

Personally I'll stick with the laptop but it could be done.

The All-in-one PC is more of a lap top computer than a PC.* All of the PC components are contained in the LED monitor and you have a seperate full sized keyboard and mouse.* There is no CPU box.* They either free stand or can be mounted on a wall or at the helm, etc.

Larry B*

-- Edited by Edelweiss on Sunday 25th of March 2012 10:44:43 AM

In other words like the iMac has been for ages, you mean...?

Exactly Peter but better.
It runs all the programs that you want and not just the little bits that Apple lets you.

*I guess we've beat all the other topics to death, (Twins vrs singles, semi planing vrs displacement, etc.)

Now it's time for. . . The Apple IMac* Vrs* the PC*!!
confuse.gif

Yikes!!*

Larry B

Edelweiss wrote:
The All-in-one PC is more of a lap top computer than a PC.* All of the PC components are contained in the LED monitor and you have a seperate full sized keyboard and mouse.* There is no CPU box.* They either free stand or can be mounted on a wall or at the helm, etc.

Larry B*

-- Edited by Edelweiss on Sunday 25th of March 2012 10:44:43 AM
*I have yet to be brave enough to purchase the new generation all in one unit. I got burned pretty bad on the first gen units that incorporated the tower into the flat screen desk stands. Fans where wimpy and had a lot of heat build up. *

I have to admit the bugs seem to have been worked out of the current generation though. Marine use in a pilothouse situation should not be a problem at all.

I assume an argument could be made that repeated poundings in heavy seas over many years could shorten the life of the unit, but I don't see that many of us going to sea in those conditions. Exception being the professional mariners here. I'd assume even they wouldn't go out very often in those conditions in a personal pleasure craft.

I have just installed Open CPN on my laptop and have been running it for a side by side comparison to ships Nobeltec system running on a desktop. Gps feed to the laptop is via Holux USB/GPS window mount (inside with suction cup). Most of the features are very close to Nobeltecs in ease of use. Graphics are not as clear but that may be due to my laptops graphics rather than Open Cpns program.
The biggest difference I notice is the scaling in and out. Nobeltecs is far superior with more control. Over all the Open Cpn was easy to use and accurate. I was impressed.

As A side note, I would still have a "dedicated" chart plotter installed. The PC/Open CPN would probably be my main Nav source with the installed chart plotter as back up.

Thanks for the advice. I'm using a lap top and a free Nav program. This should work well for me in Kalama and along the columbia river, until my cows come home and I can perhaps someday afford a fully integrated radar, chart plotter etc.

Sam
A PC system does just fine on the river, but I would recommend paper charts for a back-up. You will quickly get comfortable with the Aids to Navigation between Kalama and Buoy 10 and a quick glance at the paper for depths or side channels is all you will need.
We just let our Kalama slip go this month when we moved up to Olympia. I think you will enjoy the marina.
A different thread but your small anchor will do fine for fishing. We were happier with a 33# claw and lots of chain for overnights but you will usually be in 30' or less on a side-channel for that.

By the way, Martin Cove is a nice spot for an overnight, 5 mi. upriver from Kalama. Sand Island up by St. Helen's looks nice but is usually miserable, tie up on the city dock instead.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom