Coastal Explorer iPad version (beta)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another happy CE user here.

I create all my plotted courses on CE on my laptop and export them as gpx files to port them over to my Furuno MFD.

CE has an excellent excellent interface and I find it much more user friendly in creating courses than TimeZero Navigator...

-evan

CE

Almost three years ago when we traded our sailboat for a trawler, we were introduced to Coastal Explorer. While their customer service is wonderful, this is a product that I would neither recommend, nor choose. In fact this week I am heading to the Vancouver Boat Show to source out a complete replacement system.
It has many functions (gimmicks) that I don't use, desire or appreciate. Using a 110v computer instead of 12v makes no sense to me onboard a boat. I don't like the PC based interface, using a mouse and drop down windows to "find things". While I acknowledge it is newer and has more capabilities than my previous vintage Raymarine system, knowing then what I know now, I would have swapped out this system and sent it packing with my old boat.
Like many of the discussions on this forum, we don't all share the same opinion. If you are a fan, then wonderful and I wish you all the best. If you're looking at it as a possible addition / upgrade to your vessel, my recommendation is look elsewhere.
Happy cruising everyone.

Almost three years ago when we traded our sailboat for a trawler, we were introduced to Coastal Explorer. While their customer service is wonderful, this is a product that I would neither recommend, nor choose. In fact this week I am heading to the Vancouver Boat Show to source out a complete replacement system.
It has many functions (gimmicks) that I don't use, desire or appreciate. Using a 110v computer instead of 12v makes no sense to me onboard a boat. I don't like the PC based interface, using a mouse and drop down windows to "find things". While I acknowledge it is newer and has more capabilities than my previous vintage Raymarine system, knowing then what I know now, I would have swapped out this system and sent it packing with my old boat.
Like many of the discussions on this forum, we don't all share the same opinion. If you are a fan, then wonderful and I wish you all the best. If you're looking at it as a possible addition / upgrade to your vessel, my recommendation is look elsewhere.
Happy cruising everyone.
Thanks for your opinion, and I respect it!
However, for my use, I respectfully disagree. I have only used CE for about 1 year now, and I find it easy to work with, the support is great, and it does the basics easily and well. I have not used but a small amount of it's features, but I will learn. I don't mind the 120 volt "problem", as I run my inverter when underway anyway, and if not, my laptop will run fine for quite a long time on it's own battery if need be.
I don't think there is any "program" or piece of equipment that will please everyone......... and that is OK as far as I am concerned.:whistling:
Tom

Using a 110v computer instead of 12v makes no sense to me onboard a boat. I don't like the PC based interface, using a mouse and drop down windows to "find things".

Laptops can be run off 12 VDC with the proper adapter.

And if using a desktop computer and you don't have a built in inverter, an inexpensive portable inverter will power it. And there are 12 VDC computer power supplies available.

I have two chart plotters on Sandpiper. One at the helm for backup and one on the tender. Using a mouse and Windows based software is more intuitive than any chartplotter entry. Especially after using a PC for over 30 years. And PC's are faster, can use a monitor as big as you can fit at the helm, easily upgraded, repair and easier to learn to use.

I actually don't use a mouse. I only buy IBM/Lenovo Thinkpads for laptops and use the Trackpoint.

Last edited:
We love CE. We run it on Lenovo Yoga/windows 10. There are places in Southeast Alaska that we would not attempt to cruise with any other software.

Happy cruising everyone.

To each his own. I hope you find something to your liking.

Like syjos stated most laptops can run off 12V. You can also purchase dedicated PCs/Monitors that run off 12V - 14V

I purchased an Intel NUC and a 24" multi touch monitor both of which came with power adaptors that convert 110V to 12v into the device. My intent was to jump start the setup (we have inverted 110V at the helm) and then convert to native 12V once I finalize installation.

Using a 110v computer instead of 12v makes no sense to me onboard a boat. I don't like the PC based interface, using a mouse and drop down windows to "find things".

First, I have a NUC, which operates at 12 VDC with Windows 10 and CE.

Second, the limitation of touch screens is there is no mouse! “Touching screens” is cludgey and imprecise.

Jim

First, I have a NUC, which operates at 12 VDC with Windows 10 and CE.

Second, the limitation of touch screens is there is no mouse! “Touching screens” is cludgey and imprecise.

Jim

With the advent of inverters all over the place, running a 110 V computer is not much of an issue, but if you don't have the inverter, you can get a 12VDC converter which will run your 'puter.

I am very happy with Navionics on my iPad and iPhone. I have navigated from Olympia to Sullivan Bay and found it easy and accurate. I like the ease of use much better than my dated Raymarine gear and Nobletec on a PC. The whole PC/Keyboard/mouse thing is cumbersome IMHO. I really like that it runs on my iPhone as well. The iPhone is always with me and it has saved me on other peoples boats when they were inadvertently headed for the shallows.

So I just discovered CE and impressed with the enthusiasm I hear about the product and support. Sounds like the iPad version is around $100 so its a bit more than Navioncis. Can someone tell me what CE offers that is superior to Navionics?
thanks

I run both CE and TimeZero Pro on a NUC with a touch screen and full keyboard and mouse. I also have both running on a Microsoft Surface Pro Laptop. I use them at different times and for different purposes, and appreciate being able to switch between both. I also have OpenCPN and a few others, but I don't use those for day-to-day navigation or planning.

TimeZero's planning interface seems a lot quicker and easier to me, and has a number of features that CE doesn't when it comes to being able to plan around objects and seeing the impact of tides and currents. TZ is also much faster at displaying charts and panning/zooming, which is something they have always talked about/touted. And it can control my Furuno radar, which is a big advantage.

CE has a much easier interface in general to use (open up TimeZero's Options/Configuration page and start searching for something!!) and has a more modern set of controls and look. Updating charts is a breeze compared to TZ, and integration with my NEMO gateway makes it very convenient on the Surface to be mobile while still connected to all of the boat systems.

Just like with MFDs/engines/boat models, choosing one of these over the other will be down to personal preferences and look and feel.

I have been using TZ more the last year because of the integration it has with my radar and autopilot system (Furuno). I think eventually I will transition away from the Furuno TZT2 MFDs I use in other areas to using the PC only, but there's no rush for that quite yet. Using a PC with any software is far easier for planning and even while underway, but I have seen them be far less reliable than any MFD at running continuously. I'm on my 3rd NUC in the last 5 years, all failed due to use profiles.

Hi Steve, I have dual Garmin MFDs and a CE system in my boat. I just purchased an Intel NUC to replace a very large Dell desktop tower that currently runs my CE.

Could you shed a little light on the cause of your several NUC failures?? What does “ user profile “ mean in terms of hardware failure? I am wondering if my switch to NUC might have been a mistake ... :-(

Hi Steve, I have dual Garmin MFDs and a CE system in my boat. I just purchased an Intel NUC to replace a very large Dell desktop tower that currently runs my CE.

Could you shed a little light on the cause of your several NUC failures?? What does “ user profile “ mean in terms of hardware failure? I am wondering if my switch to NUC might have been a mistake ... :-(

I believe my failures were related to running them directly off of the DC battery bank rather than off of an AC inverter. I can't 100% prove this yet, and am still working with Intel on one RMA/return.

I switched to running a new i7 top of the line version off of a dedicated small Victron AC inverter and the provided DC power brick from Intel, which spits out 19VDC, and have had no issues.

The older i3 and i5 NUCs (one or two revisions back) ran fine off of direct DC wiring for a long time. I had at least 10 of those with no issues. I've also used over 400 at work for various things with a low failure rate.

Again, not 100% sure that running them directly off of DC is a bad thing, but 2 failed units in the last year, and one longer than that ago, all the newer versions running off of DC directly, make me think there might be something to it....

I am thinking of getting CE, as my new boat has a Raymarine suite of electronics. My previous boat had Furuno electronics, so I used Nobletec on my iPad. Does anyone know how well the iPad version of CE integrates with Raymarine? Could I build a route on my iPad, and transfer it to the MFDs?
Best,
Maldwin

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom