Old 04-21-2016, 01:06 PM   #1
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
Clamp-on digital meter

Someone may be interested in this meter. I just bought one and am very pleased with it. It cost me $33. and is the exact same (or one model better) that BlueSeas sells for $160. and has additional temp. & Hz features as well.
Of course it is made in China but so is theirs.
If you have looked at clamp-on meters, you will know that most inexpensive ones don't work on DC, this one does.

161665726687 ebay
Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 01:35 PM   #2
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
I have a twenty year old clamp on DC ammeter sold by Ancor (that I paid almost $200 for), but is probably made by someone else, but probably not in China. It is very stable. When I first turn it on, the zero is typically less than a half an amp off and when I hit the zero button it stays in zero.

A year or so ago I bought a much cheaper meter, no doubt made in China for less than $50. When I turn it on, it often reads 5 or more amps. Then I zero it and it will hold its zero for only a minute or so and then starts to drift, sometimes several amps.

My conclusion is that there is a difference in quality of DC clamp on ammeters.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 02:30 PM   #3
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I will let my ignorance show. What is a clamp on meter and what is it used for?

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 04:46 PM   #4
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Dave:

The original clamp on ammeter, popularized by Amprobe had two jaws that opened and closed to surround a single AC conductor. The meter used the induced current in the jaws to drive a meter and read out the current flowing through the conductor. But this type of meter would only read AC current because DC will not induce a current.

So some years ago Fluke and people like that came out with Hall effect DC clamp on meters. This is what Wikipedia says about the Hall effect: "The Hall effect is the production of a voltage difference (the Hall voltage) across an electrical conductor, transverse to an electric current in the conductor and a magnetic field perpendicular to the current. It was discovered by Edwin Hall in 1879."

This effect works for DC circuits. It is a much more feeble than the AC induced current and probably required sophisticated amplifiers to first make use of it. Thus the first meters were expensive. This may also be why Chinese made meters drift- their amplifiers lack stability.

The current combination AC and DC clamp on ammeters are very useful for diagnosing circuit or appliance problems. They let you measure the current by simply clamping on to a single conductor. Prior to their availability you had to break the circuit to hook it to an ammeter.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 05:00 PM   #5

City: Oriental, NC
Vessel Name: M/V Major Award
Vessel Model: Senator 35 w/single Lehman
Great explanation. Hall sensors are used for many things including pointless ignitions on some gas engines.
bilge53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 06:41 PM   #6
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Thanks David. That was a great explanation! Even I was able to understand it.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 07:53 PM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
Dave:

The current combination AC and DC clamp on ammeters are very useful for diagnosing circuit or appliance problems. They let you measure the current by simply clamping on to a single conductor. Prior to their availability you had to break the circuit to hook it to an ammeter.
David
Great explanation David...

I agree very useful tool in the kit for diagnosing problems or confirming things are working properly.
Just be sure any ones you consider are DC capable - many are still only for AC
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 07:56 PM   #8

City: Gustavia
Vessel Name: Soler Fox
Vessel Model: Selene 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooksie View Post
Someone may be interested in this meter. I just bought one and am very pleased with it. It cost me $33. and is the exact same (or one model better) that BlueSeas sells for $160. and has additional temp. & Hz features as well.
Of course it is made in China but so is theirs.
If you have looked at clamp-on meters, you will know that most inexpensive ones don't work on DC, this one does.

161665726687 ebay
at this price every one suppose to have one onboard !!
I can go at sea whiteout this tool

Hugues
101TUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:33 PM   #9
TG

City: Oceanside, CA
Vessel Name: Tera Grace
Vessel Model: Californian 42 LRC
I purchased this one on Amazon for $40 and I'm quite satisfied with the performance and quality.

Signstek UNI-T UT210E Handheld RMS AC/DC Mini Digital Clamp Meter Resistance Capacitance Tester
Attached Thumbnails
61v4mMWQerL._SL1000_.jpg  
TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:53 AM   #10
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG View Post
I purchased this one on Amazon for $40 and I'm quite satisfied with the performance and quality.

Signstek UNI-T UT210E Handheld RMS AC/DC Mini Digital Clamp Meter Resistance Capacitance Tester
Sears has one in that $range...
Accurate enough for most troubleshooting...IMHO only
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:57 AM   #11
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
That looks like the one I had from Sears, it only lasted a couple of years and at $50 I was rather surprised it was pretty cheaply made.

This time bought a nice Klien from Home Depot...a touch over $100 but it has been great now for 2 years
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:12 AM   #12
Guru

City: Rodney Bay Lagoon
Vessel Name: "Dragon Lady"
Vessel Model: DeFever 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
. . . This time bought a nice Klien from Home Depot...a touch over $100 but it has been great now for 2 years
Probably the same one I recently bought. If you like well-made tools, buy this one.
Shoalwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:52 AM   #13
Guru

City: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
The original clamp on ammeter, popularized by Amprobe had two jaws that opened and closed to surround a single AC conductor...

David
David left out one VERY important feature of the clamp on meter!

Putting aside the usefulness of being able to meter with the clamp/jaws, the clamp/jaws are also really helpful to HOLD the danged meter while you use the old fashioned probes! I swear I use the clamp/jaw more to hold the meter in position than to actually sense current as it was designed to do.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:50 AM   #14
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
...the clamp/jaws are also really helpful to HOLD the danged meter while you use the old fashioned probes!
Dan makes a very good point. I ended up with 2 of these Fluke meters, which I THOUGHT were supposed to be high-quality stuff:

They function fine. But they are almost unusable. There's no flat surface anywhere on them, and the probes are short and fairly stiff. In use, the stupid thing spins around, flips over or somehow finds a way to end up facing any way EXCEPT where you can see the screen.

I've tried using one hand for each probe, and another for the meter, but I keep running out of hands.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 01:35 PM   #15
Guru

City: gulf coast
I know there are fans but in years of boat repair, home repair and car repair I have never needed an ammeter of any kind.

What do you use it for?
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 02:24 PM   #16

City: Oriental, NC
Vessel Name: M/V Major Award
Vessel Model: Senator 35 w/single Lehman
Starter draw and charging are my two biggest uses but not often.
bilge53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 03:03 PM   #17
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
I know there are fans but in years of boat repair, home repair and car repair I have never needed an ammeter of any kind.

What do you use it for?
Alternator charge rates. Is it charging at 5 amps or 80? you can't tell from voltage alone.
Knowing actual amp draw of equipment for load estimates.
Troubleshooting. Its helpful to know if something is drawing high amps and not working (ie tight bearings, misalignment) vs low amps and not working (ie high resistance connections, airbound pump).
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:10 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post

What do you use it for?
Usually the first thing I want to know when starting an electrical repair / replacement is whether I have current and how much.

My expensive Fluke multimeter has more than paid for itself over many jobs but two stand out. Finding out there was corrosion in the control lines for my bow thruster hidden behind the walls, and determining that the wiring for my watermaker was inadequate for its draw.