Circuit Breaker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeM

Vessel Name
Tuscan Sun
Vessel Make
Krogen 42
Do anyone know the manufacturer or have a source for this breaker from a 1991 KK42?

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1430910044.766961.jpg

Mike Metts
KK 42-165
Virginia Beach, VA

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Thanks Larry. I read somewhere that you should try to use breakers from the same manufacturer. Is that not important?

I actually need to replace the 10A breaker with a 30A for a new SeaEra head. I see three difference 30A breakers in the link you posted. How do I know which one to use?

Mike Metts
KK 42-165
Virginia Beach, VA

Mike: You probably all ready did but have you checked your wire size and the length of the run. Going from 10 amps to 30 amps may require going up a size or 2 on the wire.

Mike: You probably all ready did but have you checked your wire size and the length of the run. Going from 10 amps to 30 amps may require going up a size or 2 on the wire.

Thanks Larry. The SeaEra installation manual tells me the wire size required depending on distance from the breaker to the control panel. Do I need to worry about the size of the wire providing power TO the breaker?

Mike Metts
KK 42-165
Virginia Beach, VA

Greetings,
Mr. MM. From what little I know about electrical, I'm pretty sure ALL wiring in your circuit that will be protected by the new 30A breaker must be capable of handling 30A to be calculated taking distance into account.

... Do I need to worry about the size of the wire providing power TO the breaker?...

If each breaker is fed by an individual wire, yes, however I bet your breakers are fed via a "hot buss" (brass strip) with only one wire from your main AC panel to the buss. If you main panel breakers are 30 amps and you have 10 gauge wire to the buss, you should be OK but if in doubt I'd get an ABYC electrical tech to help or offer guidance.

A 30 amp breaker sounds big for the SeaEra system. I installed one and used a 25 amp breaker. I hope I put the right one in.

If each breaker is fed by an individual wire, yes, however I bet your breakers are fed via a "hot buss" (brass strip) with only one wire from your main AC panel to the buss. If you main panel breakers are 30 amps and you have 10 gauge wire to the buss, you should be OK but if in doubt I'd get an ABYC electrical tech to help or offer guidance.

A 30 amp breaker sounds big for the SeaEra system. I installed one and used a 25 amp breaker. I hope I put the right one in.

The breaker that I want to replace is fed by a buss, but in this case there is only one other 10 amp breaker on it. That is why your previous comment got me thinking. I probably will get an electrician to help me with this because there are a couple other things I need to have looked at.

Mike Metts
KK 42-165
Virginia Beach, VA

Larry, you are right...25 amps. I just checked the installation manual.

Mike Metts
KK 42-165
Virginia Beach, VA

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom