Old 10-12-2020, 11:19 AM   #1
Guru

City: Sandusky Bay
Vessel Name: Escape
Vessel Model: Mariner 37
New to me Wirie Pro

I just completed a run from Grand Haven, MI around to Sandusky, OH, and had good LTE connections the entire way. Also had good WiFi signals in each of the 7 marinas I stayed.

The Wirie Pro I inherited with the new boat is still on the list of items to figure out, but I am wondering where and why I would need it in my cruising area (mostly western Lake Erie for the coming years)? It is already dated and out of business, and by the time we venture into the North Channel or embark on the Loop, there is bound to be a new generation of mobile internet solution.

Should I be trying to sell the Wirie Pro or trying to figure out how to use it?
HeadedToTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 05:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

City: Green Cove Springs
Sadly there was a reason they went out of business. Thankfully I got a refund before they closed down. What they were trying to achieve was a good idea but shoving it all into a box up the mast probably want a good idea and they didn’t keep on top of their firmware.

These guys are a good source of information for options.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com

Given how patchy Marina wifi is you might be better off just getting a cell hotspot with an external antenna up a mast for the weak areas. The integrated wifi and cell options are expensive and the software can get flaky.
PaulGel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:46 PM   #3
Guru

I am destined to join them as I follow their YouTube channel. Definitely a wealth of information.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:08 AM   #4
Guru

I have a wirie users manual dated 2016 in PDF format. If you want it send me a PM with your e mail address.
jleonard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 03:48 PM   #5
Guru

Wirie's website is still up and they have legacy manuals linked there. Thanks though, Jay.
Old 10-18-2020, 09:11 AM   #6
Guru

Just an update on the Wirie Pro. I did a hardware reset and took it back to factory settings. Went through the set up procedure and got the security set up. Easy.

The WiFi here in my corner of our marina is balky and often unusable. What the Wirie showed me is that there are six repeaters throughout the marina. I knew there were several, but connecting a device directly to the WiFi network doesn't let you choose which repeater to use. Wirie Pro does. Evidently the one with the best signal is having issues as the second one I tried is lightning fast. Definitely a keeper!
Old 10-23-2020, 12:41 PM   #7
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
I had a Wirie. It was slow. Which is to say it was faster than nothing, but without any upgrade path to using better WiFi radios I gave up on it. It's shame they didn't at least release the setup source or allow for upgrades to other firmware.