Old 09-28-2011, 12:33 PM   #1

Garmin Blue Chip chart upgrades

I recently bought a GB 36 that came with a Garmin 2010 GPS chart plotter.* However I find Garmin's "Blue Chart" is no longer being made after this year and they are expensive and limited in geographic area for each card.* I would like to be able to download my own memory cartridge instead of buying their Blue Charts.* I found on Ebay several Garmin USB Data Card Programmers and memory cartridges.* Does anyone have experiense downloading their own cards for this model Garmin?*I hope that*I can download NOAA's charts onto a compatable card.* "Blue Chart" is not to be confused with "Blue Chart g2" which is not compatable with the 2010.* Many thanks.
Annapolis Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:51 PM   #2
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
RE: Garmin Blue Chip chart upgrades

I'm not familiar with your model. But I have a 4212 that uses the g2 chart which are different than yours,

I also have an older 3210 chartplotter and USB 2.0 card programmer that I use for it. *I bought mine off of ebay too and it is fine, just remember it is old technology and if the same as mine, will only work with a 32 bit pc computer, not with the newer 64 bit. *I have an older XP computer I keep for that purpose. *The switch to 64 bit occured with Microsoft Vista so you will see both 32 and 64 bit platforms. *I use 128 MB Garmin data cards which are also available on Ebay. *It's pretty easy to use and comes with the drivers and cable.
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:38 AM   #3

RE: Garmin Blue Chip chart upgrades

Edelweiss,

Many thanks.*Good info.* I will run this by my son who understands computer jargen much more than I do.* Sounds like these card readers will work.

Thanks for the prompt reply.
Annapolis Jim is offline   Reply With Quote