Cell Phone Solar Charger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marinetrader

Over the past few months, I have had several instances where I lost all power on my Droid while assisting customers move their new boats. In this age, a smart phone is indispensable.* There are phone calls, emails and the internet that I use daily.

So we began to wonder if I could find a small solar cell to charge up the phone.

A bit of looking online produced several that might work.* But a trip to the local Radio Shack produced a unit for less than $70.00 and it works great.

On our recent trip to Ft. Lauderdale aboard a new owner's 52 Jefferson Motor Yacht, I could give my phone a charge in less than 2 hours while underway.

Isn't technology amazing?* What will they think of next!

-- Edited by marinetrader on Friday 4th of November 2011 07:04:17 AM

Neat... Ironic and somewhat sad how the journey of the lowly pencil has made. From building skyscrapers and ocean-going ships, to propping up an amazing space-age power cell! :-D

Won't a car lighter plug-in charger do the same thing? A lot less than $70 and it works on cloudy days and at night too. Cannot imagine a boat without several of these outlets.

ARoss wrote:
Won't a car lighter plug-in charger do the same thing? A lot less than $70 and it works on cloudy days and at night too. Cannot imagine a boat without several of these outlets.
*+1.

I've got several.

Some times I need power during the day and the boat does not have its generator running......just saying

You're right...and the smartphones seem to require lots of charging.

I carry a phone USB cord and 12V and 110V adapters for charging on the go. It's not solar, but it's small and works in the car, boat, plane or office.

-- Edited by FlyWright on Tuesday 15th of November 2011 06:42:01 PM

Back
Top Bottom