Are Cell Boosters worth the install/price?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A mobile router like Peplink or Cradlepoint has two pieces.

The first is the local WiFi network that you discussed. It creates this so that devices on your boat can connect to it and access the internet, plus each other.

The second is an internet source. Most mobile routers do this by using a dedicated SIM card / plan from your cellular provider, and accessing the internet that way. Many also will allow you to connect to a marina WiFi network and pull it in. Or you can connect it to another resource like satellite, cable modem, etc. if you are at a marina.

The benefit of these types of systems is that you have a permanent WiFi network aboard that everything can use, and you can switch between various cellular providers that work better for the area you are in, use marina WiFi, and other sources without changing everything inside.

In terms of using your cell phone, all US carriers have supported something called WiFi calling for a number of years now. This means that your phone will connect to the WiFi network on the boat, and instead of using it's own radio or a remote cellular connection, it uses your WiFi network to make and receive phone calls, texts, etc.

I am in areas without hardly any cell coverage about 25% of my time, and my cell phone works perfectly with this technology as my big antennas outside pull in a signal and create the WiFi network inside the boat. The phone connects to that network and uses WiFi calling to make calls.

The other nice thing with this setup is that you don't have to crowd around the really small area that the booster works in. Even modern boosters have a very small area that their internal antenna uses.

Hope this helps

Thanks a ton! This puts your site and the previous posts in the context I needed. I'm a mechanical engineer, so appreciate you speaking slowly for me :banghead:

I've been contemplating an upgrade from the weBoost/Wilson solution I currently have & this will help me figure things out.

Bonding has a lot of limits.

Many of the issues you bring up above are resolved with Peplink's SpeedFusion product. You can spread traffic out across multiple connections for a single application, choose various connections based on individual or intra-packet latency, and choose connections based on their real-time latency tested every second or so.

Only if you use their VPN.

Not saying that's bad, but without another end to the tunnel, there is no tunnel.

As far as cradlepoint goes, when you buy their "subscription" you are paying for 24X7 real technical support, fast free replacement if there is a hardware problem, along with software updates.

That is a pretty common business model.

Last edited:
Unfortunately it seems like internet systems and use-cases are as complex as choosing an anchor or chart plotter system :)

I do have a bunch of recommended systems at https://seabits.com/recommended-systems-plans/

Generally speaking, there are a few choices:

Hotspot + antenna - cheap, limited features, not meant to run 24x7

Router + booster - used to be the standard, but not as useful unless you are in zero signal areas all the time

Router + good outdoor antenna(s) - the most common choice right now.

Domes - most expensive solution, and requires more management.

With the router & domes options, you can have a single cellular radio, or dual cellular radios. The dual radios is more popular in the last 2 years due to working remotely, and provides the ability to stay connected almost indefinitely, or at least to survive bad connections. However, it is more costly and complex.

Nighthawks are my favorite hotspots. Combining it with a good antenna is a great option. They don't have any redundancy features or other functions if you have an active network or devices, but they are one of the most cost effective solutions. You can swap out a hotspot when the new tech comes out without spending that much.

I no longer recommend Cradlepoint after their software licensing change. Features stop working in their products unless you pay a yearly fee, and they are key things like cellular modems, etc. They are targeting enterprise and large companies, not folks like us. I've also had a ton of issues with their hardware and supporting US carriers.

I wish they would spend more time on marine and mobile in our markets, as I would like more competition for Peplink.

Peplink has done this for years using PepVPN and more recently as a simpler offering called SpeedFusion. I've also used a few other technologies that do this.... IGRP is not involved.

Cel-Fi makes some of the most powerful boosters out there. I have tested a few and they are impressive, but there are (of course!) a few limitations compared to other boosters.

First, you have to choose a particular carrier - you can only boost one at a time. Second, they have had firmware issues with the various carriers that have taken a while to resolve. I would make sure to check that the carrier and bands (4G/5G/etc.) are supported for the one you want to use.

Wilson/weBoost and other similar boosters are less powerful, but they are just simple amplifiers and "pass through" signal, so they can work with multiple providers.

Thanks Steve and others. With all due respect, discussion (and tech articles) is component-focused, not solution-focused. For folks who have already made the plunge, I'd reckon tech-talk on components/hardware is a very productive and interesting discussion. For those at the beginning of the journey, well, feels like we have to reinvent the wheel. We have to figure out all the options of what a use-case might be, then enter into the component discussion and figure out the solution for ourselves. Just feels a lot like buying a PC back in the 1990s. And then came Apple with a solution as opposed to a box of parts.

Peter

Thanks Steve and others. With all due respect, discussion (and tech articles) is component-focused, not solution-focused. For folks who have already made the plunge, I'd reckon tech-talk on components/hardware is a very productive and interesting discussion. For those at the beginning of the journey, well, feels like we have to reinvent the wheel. We have to figure out all the options of what a use-case might be, then enter into the component discussion and figure out the solution for ourselves. Just feels a lot like buying a PC back in the 1990s. And then came Apple with a solution as opposed to a box of parts.

Peter

Unfortunately Peter that’s the way it is. I spent hours educating myself and I’m still not where I need to be.

For most, either go simple or hire a pro or both as your needs evolve.

That’s true though for most things nautical, no? Like engine maintenance, navigation, etc.

Peter

I try to focus on a solution-based approach for customers who work directly with me. It starts with a quick interview to understand how they cruise, where they cruise, and who is on board. Then discuss requirements for how much they need to be connected, and add into that their budget.

That ends up making a solution easy to identify, and the tech pieces are pretty straightforwards after that.

I've tried to write this up a number of times in a way that someone could go through it step by step, but haven't been successful yet. It seems way easier to do via voice/in person than an article.

Today there isn't an Apple equivalent in this world. There are "packages" that some vendors sell, and things like my recommended list, but they aren't as slick or single vendor as what you would find from Apple. Peplink is getting closer, and I suspect in the next year or so may get close.

Peter

I get what you’re saying, Peter, and have been a die-hard Apple fan since Day 1. But I also appreciate the lengths Steve goes to to make an inherently tech-driven subject accessible, with a little work on my part. I learned, for instance, that Peplink never imagined that their products would become as popular as they are outside of tech-dom—hence the convoluted jargon in much of their how-to materials.

Steve’s articles are always deeply researched and well-written . . . and the price (free) could not be better. He also includes links to sources like MobileMustHaves and others, which often add additional context. I’m about as dense concerning mobile connectivity as a human can possibly be, but by following Steve’s reviews and searching some on YouTube, I was able to install a kickass router and antenna system that I’m very satisfied with.

This is the 37th post in this thread that was started by an OP asking if a Cell Phone Booster is worth it. There are more or less 3-dozen responses along the lines of "Nope." Not a single one bridges the gap between that and wonk. Not a single one takes a view from the novice. All seem intent on school-of-hard-knocks approach with a drawer full of replaced components as learning progressed.

Why respond at all?

Given the OP asked about a cell phone booster with a picture of a Shakespeare system, how hard would it be to say "You know, I suppose it works okay, but there are better options. A big decision factor is if you just want improved cell phone calling - the Shakespeare or WeBoost might be okay, just know you have to make your call standing within a few feet of the inside antenna. But.....if you can live with either the hassle of putting a SIM card into an enabled modem (or the expense of a second SIM) and dont mind making calls over WiFi vs a carrier's network, then here's a base system of a suitable modem, a wireless router, and an antenna....." How hard would it be to put out a diagram showing the parts - sort of the picture on a puzzle box?

BTW - while I realize most/all carriers note WiFi calling as enabled, I can tell you that it's far from seamless. In Mexico, switching to Telcel requires a forced setting change which is clunky as hell and has to be reversed each time you leave your boat WiFi.

I'll figure Cell/Wifi out - heck, not even in the top 10 of stuff I will figure out this week. Just surprised at the "It depends" or "Can't answer the question" responses. Certainly there's an 80/20 response here - 80% of the benefit for 20% of the effort. Just seems like the people who respond to threads like this are overly focused on the last 20% and can't recall the 80%.

Think of it this way: Investing in the stock market can be pretty complex. There are legions of advisors with strategies, etc. Or you can just plunk it into an S&P Index fund (or a target retirement fund) and get well over 80% of the benefit of investing in the stock market. Or you can agonize and day-trade and hope to wring-out the last few perentage pointss of gain, enough to offset their fees.

Peter

Last edited:
Peter -

Syjos answered in in the fourth post. It was reaffirmed. And Steve’s article did even better than that.

So I disagree with your conclusion though I can see that you are frustrated.

I started the same way with that article and reached conclusions.

Let me state it clearly from what I’ve read: he should not get the booster if he is within 20 miles of shore.

For the simplest solution he should get what syjos suggested below, the Poynting Omni antenna and nighthawk. For even simpler get the nighthawk antenna instead which isn’t as good as Steve suggests in the article.

I had excellent reception with a Poynting Omni 402 MIMO outdoor antenna and a Netgear Nighthawk M1 Cellular Router on a T Mobile Hotspot plan.

Received fast downloads in areas that were previously 0 reception.

Ther are more expensive routers with more features out there like the Peplinks but the Nighthawk got the job done for us. Plus bought a used unlocked Nighthawk from a Forum member for $100.

We've used a variety of boosters and celluar antennas in the past. They do not work as well as the Poynting/Nighthawk combination, especially internet. There were feedback issues between indoor and outdoor antennas.

People still use their cell phone to talk? :lol: :socool:

Of course I'm joking, but there is a reason so many solutions are data focused. I could go weeks without worrying about whether I have voice connectivity, but I start fidgeting after only a couple hours without data, and I'm not just talking about checking Facebook and looking at cat pictures or texting my wife. Online banking. News. Email. I communicate with coworkers mostly by text-based apps. I'm a pretty handy guy but when presented with a maintenance item that challenges me, a (carefully considered) Youtube video is now my go-to. And yes, web-hosted entertainment is the new television. I think the market is responding to people like me.

And another thing: Why is a gimbled dish solution for DirectTV on your boat an order of magnitude cheaper than an gimbled dish solution for Internet access?!? :socool:

People still use their cell phone to talk? :lol: :socool:

Of course I'm joking, but there is a reason so many solutions are data focused. I could go weeks without worrying about whether I have voice connectivity, but I start fidgeting after only a couple hours without data, and I'm not just talking about checking Facebook and looking at cat pictures or texting my wife. Online banking. News. Email. I communicate with coworkers mostly by text-based apps. I'm a pretty handy guy but when presented with a maintenance item that challenges me, a (carefully considered) Youtube video is now my go-to. And yes, web-hosted entertainment is the new television. I think the market is responding to people like me.

And another thing: Why is a gimbled dish solution for DirectTV on your boat an order of magnitude cheaper than an gimbled dish solution for Internet access?!? :socool:

The antenna for internet access needs to also transmit.

This is the 37th post in this thread that was started by an OP asking if a Cell Phone Booster is worth it. There are more or less 3-dozen responses along the lines of "Nope." Not a single one bridges the gap between that and wonk. Not a single one takes a view from the novice. All seem intent on school-of-hard-knocks approach with a drawer full of replaced components as learning progressed.

Why respond at all?

I think the issue is that no, the boosters don't work very well and they are worse with the latest technology that the carriers are deploying, to the point that having a booster turned on will make things WORSE for a variety of technical reasons.

Beyond that though, there are no plug and play solutions that you can just order and install. Even making a writeup with step by step instructions to make a specific selection of hardware do the job is fraught with details that can easily make things go awry as the vendors update their software, carriers change their options/plans/tech. It's a minefield of technical pitfalls. The U.S. based carriers go out of their way to make things more difficult as well, all in their quest for profit.

For me, I'm using a MicroTik Chateau. This device has a single sim card slot that connects over 4G/LTE and has really good internal antennas. It also has a WIFI system on board, so once it connects to the 4G/LTE it shares that connection over it's WIFI to any device you want to connect.

It's quite a simple device once it's setup and works well with T-Mobile in the U.S. and I've also had it on Telcel so it's compatible with their SIM cards and systems as well. It does not work with Verizon, not because there is a technical issue, but because Verizon simply says, NO.

The downside is that it's hard to setup, the interface is not very friendly and would be seriously confusing for a beginner, without knowing what you are doing you just aren't going to get it to work. I can show someone how to do it in a few minutes, but out of the box it will confuse the heck out of people, so I don't go around recommending it.

It also does not have the ability to connect to a Marina WIFI and share that connection instead of the 4G/LTE connection, you need more hardware for that and the setup gets even worse. I know it's capable of auto-switching connections but I haven't figured out how to get that working yet, mostly because I haven't had that need, I stay on 4G/LTE all the time but I currently have reason to figure it out so I hope to do so soon.

With T-Mobile, trying to buy a data enabled SIM card with a reasonable price and data cap is like pulling teeth. You literally have to be a brand new customer to get a decent deal and you have to lie to them and tell them you have an IPad you are going to put the SIM card in, otherwise they insist on selling you a device. Once you've done so, you can put that SIM card into most any device and it will work. You can get 100GB/month for $50 if you happen to find the right path to that deal hidden behind various reasons why it's advertised but they really don't want to sell it to you. Verizon? Don't even bother.

My wife and I just went to T-Mobile Magenta plan. $90 including taxes and fees for us both for old fart discount. Something one 100gb. I had been with Verizon but that was over $90/mo for their premium plan. I tried Google Fi for 6 Mos which was fine until I went to Mexico and voice calls were 20-cents per minute since switching to wifi calling was difficult.

Question: what are your concerns for 5G technology for current crop of hardware? All routers/modems methionine thus far are specd for 4g. Peplink apparently makes a 5g version but it's $1000

My wife and I just went to T-Mobile Magenta plan. $90 including taxes and fees for us both for old fart discount. Something one 100gb. I had been with Verizon but that was over $90/mo for their premium plan. I tried Google Fi for 6 Mos which was fine until I went to Mexico and voice calls were 20-cents per minute since switching to wifi calling was difficult.

Question: what are your concerns for 5G technology for current crop of hardware? All routers/modems methionine thus far are specd for 4g. Peplink apparently makes a 5g version but it's $1000

True "5G" includes beamforming and steering technology that requires very close proximity (1500 feet) to cell sites. It's deployment is incredibly tiny at this point and hardly worth thinking about.

With no standards for naming conventions, most of what you hear about is marketing hype with no real substance and "5G" can mean anything.

I'm sure it will become a commonly available thing in time, but for now it's not here yet, when it does the potential speeds are 10X what they are currently with 4G/LTE.

I routinely get 150Mbps down with my MicroTik on T-Mobile, faster than mid range home internet. They do throttle speeds on certain activities, like video streaming is throttled so you can only do about 480p despite the fast throughput. I don't know the range offshore, I haven't been more than 5 miles at this point.

With 5G it's likely that offshore access will be worse than it is with 4G since it is highly directional and short range.

This last summer I wanted to try out T-Mobile's new "home internet". $50 per month and truly unlimited 5G. I used it all over the San Juan Islands in about every cove you can think of up there. Aside from a few coves that were pretty isolated by land/tree obstructions, it worked VERY well. For the most part I was pulling speeds of ~500/25Mbps with a Ping in the 13-45ms range.
While T-Mobile states you aren't supposed to "move" the device, I had no issues.

I also had it paired with a Peplink 22G external antenna. There is a very simple "hack" you can do to the T-Mobile device to add antenna connectors (takes about 10-15 mins). If you go with T-Mobile you need to make sure the antenna will handle the 600mhz freq. needed for their network.

https://download.peplink.com/resources/pepwave_mobility_22G_datasheet.pdf

I also work in the IT sector so I get exposure to different types of "load balancers". More common term now is SD-WAN. There's a big push for this to be more widely available for non-commercial/business use (home/residential, etc.).

For any device to be used as an aggregator (combined speeds) there needs to be a "book-ended" piece of equipment, usually sitting in multiple data centers across the U.S/world. The device also needs to be looking at the packet level, not session level for the data being transmitted. To do THAT piece, you will generally be paying for some sort a "managed service/subscription" fee.

I personally run a VeloCloud SD-WAN device (work-demo equipment) as well as a CradlePoint w/ AT&T SIM card along w/ the T-Mobile Home Internet.

Both AT&T and T-Mobile run to the Velo, then the outputted connection goes to a simple TP-Link AX3000 (extra one I had laying around. I have all of this plugged into a UPS to make sure the power is "clean and consistent" to the devices. CyberPower EC650LCD got it on sale for ~$70. :)

While my setup may be a bit over the top for some, a simplified version w/ just the T-Mobile internet device and the external antenna would probably work for almost anyone (as long as you have T-Mobile in your area).

Before the T-Mobile home internet device came out, I was using the Inseego 5G hotspot (100G then throttled, devices was "meh" at best). Unfortunately no easy easy to add an external antenna so reception suffered. I was going to get the new Nighthawk M5 5G WiFi 6 Mobile Router (works on T-Mobile/AT&T) but decided to try the T-Mobile option first. $0 equipment fees, no contract, nothing to lose trying it out and I am VERY glad I did! :)

I spent tens of hours thinking about this.
The technology is in such a transition right now too but I need to install this winter so can’t wait much longer for what I ideally wanted (twin hd1 domes with Wi-Fi as wan).

Since I want distant cell connections and redundancy and bonding in cellular and Wi-Fi I’m putting two stick antennas up on my mast and placing a dual radio peplink router between them in my unused dome. The antennas will handle 5g and Wi-Fi as WaN each.

Then I’ll run an Ethernet to my cabin where I’ll have two Wi-Fi access point to provide Wi-Fi for the boat.

When a new router comes out with 5g radios I’ll probably upgrade.

This solution allows me minimal management complexity though the sim cards are on the mast under a dome unfortunately.

The technology is in such a transition right now too but I need to install this winter so can’t wait much longer for what I ideally wanted (twin hd1 domes with Wi-Fi as wan).

Yeah, there certainly seems to be a good case for waiting if one can. My next big cruise is going to be this summer; I got by okay on the cell booster last summer, tempted to keep using it and wait for Elon to get Starlink up and running for boats :)

Yeah, there certainly seems to be a good case for waiting if one can. My next big cruise is going to be this summer; I got by okay on the cell booster last summer, tempted to keep using it and wait for Elon to get Starlink up and running for boats :)

I agree with your sentiments. I would not wait for musk though! That’s an upside case in several years at best!

Since I want distant cell connections and redundancy and bonding in cellular and Wi-Fi I’m putting two stick antennas up on my mast and placing a dual radio peplink router between them in my unused dome. The antennas will handle 5g and Wi-Fi as WaN each.

Then I’ll run an Ethernet to my cabin where I’ll have two Wi-Fi access point to provide Wi-Fi for the boat.

When a new router comes out with 5g radios I’ll probably upgrade.

This solution allows me minimal management complexity though the sim cards are on the mast under a dome unfortunately.

Thats a good solution!!!

Remember there is always a new technology coming, but you need connectivity today, so you buy today and then upgrade when it makes sense.

The dual radio Peplink boxes will accept an incoming WiFi signal as a source, not just LTE? Guess I missed that.

Bowball- Just a thought, but if you put the device up in the dome, how will it vent? Almost all of these types of devices need to be able to cool from ambient air. I would definitely be concerned about thermal shut-down...

While not ideal, I am running the Peplink 22G antenna with 10M extension cables, with the best "low loss shielding" I could find and I am having NO issues. I also attached some pics of where in the San Juans (fairly remote area (Succia/Stewart Island for example). The speed tests were pretty interesting as well. The ones w/ the "5G" symbol are from my phone. the ones with the "wifi" symbol are my phone connected to the T-Mobile home service (pretty BIG difference).

Also, have you seen some of the new Peplink devices being released? T-Mobile actually partnered with them recently for a bit of a sale. Check out the attached flyer.

I am supposed to get a call back today from T-Mobile tier-3 support about the SIM card being used in their "home internet" services. What the likelihood of removing it and inserting it in another device. Personally for me, it works quite well in the T-Mobile provided (free) device with the antenna hack I posted above. But I am always curious about how far I can "push" the applications.

Attachments

• 5g_router_100gb_bundle flyer-tmo-peplink.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 10
  • San Jaun Tmobile Service.jpg
    San Jaun Tmobile Service.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 27
  • San Juan Cell Service.jpg
    San Juan Cell Service.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 30
I just got an offer from Verizon for their 4G LTE home internet, no data caps, $40/mo with an existing Verizon plan. No details on the hardware or whether an external antenna can be added, but might be worth a look.

https://www.verizon.com/home/lte-home-internet/?intcmp=vzw-vz-5GHome-LteLearnMore

Edit: I just found a stipulation that it won't work if you move it... that might kill the deal

I've found some of the VanLife vloggers talk about using 'home' wireless internet and they've found that the carrier does monitor location and kill their service when they move. It works for a bit until the system notices it's been moved and then they disable your connection. It's a marketing/restriction/control thing, not a technology issue.

Bowball- Just a thought, but if you put the device up in the dome, how will it vent? Almost all of these types of devices need to be able to cool from ambient air. I would definitely be concerned about thermal shut-down...

While not ideal, I am running the Peplink 22G antenna with 10M extension cables, with the best "low loss shielding" I could find and I am having NO issues. I also attached some pics of where in the San Juans (fairly remote area (Succia/Stewart Island for example). The speed tests were pretty interesting as well. The ones w/ the "5G" symbol are from my phone. the ones with the "wifi" symbol are my phone connected to the T-Mobile home service (pretty BIG difference).

Also, have you seen some of the new Peplink devices being released? T-Mobile actually partnered with them recently for a bit of a sale. Check out the attached flyer.

I am supposed to get a call back today from T-Mobile tier-3 support about the SIM card being used in their "home internet" services. What the likelihood of removing it and inserting it in another device. Personally for me, it works quite well in the T-Mobile provided (free) device with the antenna hack I posted above. But I am always curious about how far I can "push" the applications.

The dome is large and the router small, and operates to 150 degrees temp so I am assuming it will be be fine.

The br1 5G is a great option, new architecture so fast throughout but single cellular radio and I want two. That’s why what I bought will be temporary until peplink uogrades that.

You could be right about the cable length. I decided to try this. Especially as 8 antenna cables gets bulky too.
But I may have to if my experiment doesn’t work out!

As another point of reference. I initially tried a Verizon 8800L MiFI "Jetpack" hotspot with a prepaid plan. Ordered it online, received it in the mail and then activated and started using it.

It was fairly fast, BUT, it was the most unreliable piece of equipment I've ever had. Would just stop working on it's own for no reason. Took it to Verizon and they factory reset it and then it would work again for a while, but I kept having to factory reset it every few hours. They were unable to replace it in the store under warranty because it was a prepaid device and they are hardly allowed to talk to you in the store if you are a prepaid customer.

After many emails to support they sent me a replacement, a brand new one. It worked fine for a few weeks and then started having the same issues. I just quit using it and cancelled the prepaid data, I don't recommend it.

I bought and installed a Wilson unit over a decade ago when I cruised from Seattle to Puerta Vallarta. It was very useful for txt messages and still works.

Wilson cell amplifier

Installed their system with disappointing results. But some limited advantage. Internal antenna requires holding cell phone 2-3 inches away to connect. Doesn’t help much for speech but I can rest my iPhone on the interior antenna and use it as a WiFi hub to broadcast to a laptop or iPad to stream videos which at this location was not possible without the booster.
I had hoped for wider connectivity within the boat but no go.
Tim

Installed their system with disappointing results. But some limited advantage. Internal antenna requires holding cell phone 2-3 inches away to connect. Doesn’t help much for speech but I can rest my iPhone on the interior antenna and use it as a WiFi hub to broadcast to a laptop or iPad to stream videos which at this location was not possible without the booster.
I had hoped for wider connectivity within the boat but no go.
Tim

That was my experience as well; I just set my phone right over the antenna and use it as a hotspot. I use my AirPods for voice. Not ideal but it did work.

WebBoat Antenna System

Check out the WebBoat 4G Plus by Glomex. We have one and it works well in most areas of So Cal. It also picks up marina wifi. Just a thought.

Wow, ok....clear as mud....lol

Back
Top Bottom