Can you Identify this anchor light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wils

Vessel Name
Our Island
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen, Manatee
The anchor light on our Kadey Krogen Manatee has died. Before lowering the mast to replace it we would like to identify the anchor light so a new one, or similar one, can be purchased. It sits on the top of the mast and appears to have a rubber weather tight boot at the connection.

Searches and inquires to date have been unsuccessful. We don't think it was part of the original build as it had a cool white "LED" like glow when powered.

Any information, or suggestions for replacement are welcome.

Attachments

• Our Island Anchor Light.JPG
    Our Island Anchor Light.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 31
There was a company some years ago in Fiji that had local ladies manufacturing anchor lights that could either be mounted on a mast (like yours) or suspended from a sailboat mast by the power cord. From memory, they were manufactured from something resembling a PVC pipe cap with a series of holes drilled around the perimeter. Each hole had an LED in it. The LEDs were wired in parallel (so no failure of one would effect the others) and then the cap was potted with epoxy or something similar. This was at the dawn of LEDs in boating. My guess is the company is long gone.

Ted

Thanks for the hint O C Diver.
A simple google search of "anchor light from Fiji" solved the mystery!
Unfortunately, the manufacture "Bebi Electronics" who manufactured the light, which was named the "OWL" has since closed shop due to political issues in Fiji.
I am not finding anything similar on the market so maybe I'll just have to take it off the mast and see if it can be fixed. Unless someone can direct me to a similar anchor light.

I never cease to be amazed at the knowledge level on this forum.

And if they were wired in parallel it seems like a power issue to the light itself?

It's doubtful that the light is using some sort of proprietary bulb. I'd climb to, or lower the light, remove the bulb and replace the bulb.

I never cease to be amazed at the knowledge level on this forum.

And if they were wired in parallel it seems like a power issue to the light itself?

My recollection was with them wired in parallel if one LED burned out, it would not impact the others. Sort of like old incandescent Christmas tree light strings, you loose one bulb.

It's doubtful that the light is using some sort of proprietary bulb. I'd climb to, or lower the light, remove the bulb and replace the bulb.

It's not one bulb, but maybe 20 individual LEDs.

Ted

Thanks everyone, looks like the boat is going to be turned around stern in and the mast lowered this weekend so I can get at the "Owl". I know that power is available at the base of the mast, but since the entire anchor light when out all at once, maybe there is a simple wiring repair.
Thanks again and I will update the thread when I have more info.

I've had mine installed for 15 years, still working like new. Fingers crossed.

Simple but amazingly effective and bright

We installed a Bebi Owl on our cutter back in 2011. Worked great until last year when it just died. Had power but just quit lighting up. We still have two of their cockpit lights (same design) that are going strong.

It can’t be that hard to troubleshoot. My bet is a bad connection, mast power lead to light fixture.

It can’t be that hard to troubleshoot. My bet is a bad connection, mast power lead to light fixture.

That's what I thought with mine but everything tested fine up to where the wires entered the potted PVC cap/fixture.

Just following up, we lowered the mast and the old anchor light was fried and no way to get at the LED. It looked like just one LED and a series of small lenses.

In order to keep things simple and make use of the handy screw-in attachment at the top of our mast, I bought 2 nm LED anchor light off of Amazon and modified it and the existing anchor light to suite. Everything is now back in working order.

I uploaded a few photos of the modifications to an album if anyone is interested.

Back
Top Bottom