Can i get some help with vector ais and garmin radar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

magna 6882

Guru
Vessel Name
Intrepid
Vessel Make
North Pacific/ NP-45 Hull 10
Hello
I am trying to get the settings figured out and i admit its been just trial and error. I keep getting either ais collision warnings or garmin radar zone warnings. I can see the value in this equipment but in a busy harbor and in the puget sound it seems to go off every few minutes. The good news is the audio frequency is above my hearing range which seems odd with so many older folks who loose the upper range. The bad news is the wife can and the few first reminders to hit the button is not to bad but it changes to throw that crap off the boat,with attitude.
I am using watch mate for the vector and the garmin radar setup screen for collision.
Thanks
Rod

On my Garmin chart plotter this is controlled under
Settings>Alarms>Collision Alarms

You can turn it off and change the minimum alarm distance.

Have you been reading the manual? I find for electronics I need to continually review the manual (paper and digital) in order to adequately learn the system. These newer systems are easy to use compared to the older gen systems If you invest the time.

I feel your pain in that I would hate to NOT have control of the situation. However, you DO have control.

As stated two posts prior to this one you can turn off AIS when it becomes an interference more than a help, like in a harbour in clear conditions when may boats around might be emitting an AIS signal. Because I like to cruise offshore I usually set my AIS range at 100 miles or so, sometimes farther yet. But when I start to get close to shore I either turn it off or set it for a quarter mile or whatever the lowest setting is (I'm not near the boat so I don't remember what that lowest setting is - just turn it off as long as it is safe to do so).

Happy cruising, without the distraction of AIS signals blaring at you every few minutes, or seconds. When you are trying to dock, maybe it's windy, maybe your slip is a tight fit, maybe whatever - you don't need the distraction.

Thanks for the replies.
One problem is i cant hear the alarm. It is a high pitch so its out of my range but the wife hears it so she is the alarm. I have read and downloaded a digital manual that is more complete so i think i will get it.

I just went through this very issue in sea trials. My boat, with all new Garmin goodies, kept giving us a collision warning frequently, irritatingly frequently. At this point I haven't gone through the manual to review the Garmin functions etc. By the way a good video on working with your Garmin if you have the 8600 series in Youtube.

I also added a 942sv along with my 8616 xsv. What happened is while under sea trials, I figured out how to turn off the collision response on the 8616 and was rewarded with silence...for a while. But I forgot I needed to turn off the same collision avoidance on the 942 as well. Took me a while to figure that one out.

Magna 6882 said:"One problem is i cant hear the alarm. It is a high pitch so its out of my range but the wife hears it so she is the alarm. I have read and downloaded a digital manual that is more complete so i think i will get it."

The visual notifications on the screen are enough to drive a person to stop drinking. Still nice to be able to turn 'em off.

Back
Top Bottom