Cable Crimper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know I'm far too late to help with a comment about the hammer crimper but for anyone else maybe.

I have one of those units.* It must be used on a solid base of steel plate or rock.* My plate is about 10 #, a piece of 3/4" x 10 or 12" square.*** I've also set it on steelwork around the marina or on a big rock.* It lives in the boat tool box. It cost me about $75.00* 20+ years ago.* * I've used it enough over the years it has paid for itself.

If you set it on* the dock boards or* the boat sole it will bounce and result in a lousy crimp.** Even then I use a 2-3 # hammer or small sledge.* It needs to be hit several times.*you will hear a change in sound, from dull to not dull, when the wire has been crimped properly - best I can describe it.* Usually you can get a second crimp on the lug barrel.***

Then cover it with heat shrink.* I sometimes spray the gap between insulation and lug with some WD-40 or similar and apply NO_ALOX before putting on the glued heat shrink.

I also have one of the H.D Burndy crimpers and prefer it but of course it's expensive for just a few crimps and, in my case , too large to warrant keeping it aboard.* These tools are about $400.00 (20+ yrs ago)*-**so unless using it for the job, or a large rewire*or just because you have to have it, *are* usually not worth it.

Back
Top Bottom