A/c Seeking input on replacing Cruisaire Condenser Units

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlanT

Guru
Vessel Name
MoonShadow
Vessel Make
Wendon Skylounge 72'
I have 4 Cruisaire Condenser units all of which are 26 years old and in need of replacement. Two function OK, two do not.

I do not have a technical understanding of the system so am floundering when I access various alternative suppliers. What I am hoping to get guidance on is the most economical approach to replacing them.

The condenser units are located in good spacing in an aft lazarette, with a single dedicated sea-water circulation pump. There are separate blower fans associated with these units in various cabins. Distances between condensers and fans are up to 40+ feet. As far as we know all the hoses/wiring to the fan units and the control units function OK.

I have a quote to replace like with like (Updated Cruisaire units of same capacity).

Here are the specs and retail price of those items (I have not included labor charges to install since labor is not a significant component if I replace like with like)

RX30 UTC - 417 230v $6,735
RX20 UTC - 417 230v $6,170
RX36 UTC - 417 230v $7,240
RX10C - 417 230v $3,960

I am located in the PNW and have a separate Hydronic heat system so these units are to be used solely for cooling, and frankly will get very light usage.

So my question is, are there other options than the above Cruisaire/Dometic units which will be compatible with my current installation (either plumbing and/or control units) and which will be considerably cheaper?

If not what other options, if any, should I consider?

Finally, note this is not a pressing issue, I turned on the AC for the first time this week and only in the Salon. I could actually get by with two replacement units (servicing the salon) since the top deck has great ventilation and the lower deck stays cool at all times in our climate.

Thank you for your consideration.

P.S. At this time my inclination is to replace the two units servicing the Salon (the 20 & the 36) at a cost of $13.5k and leave the others as is.

~Alan

Last edited:
I don't believe there are any other options for the condenser units. You either go with brand new systems (either split like you have or perhaps self contained) or you replace the condenser with another Cruiseaire. So you're aware, the split system you have is similar to a house system. The noisy condenser is usually located in the engine room or machinery compartment and the evaporator/air handler is located near the living area.

It's a common setup and great for noise vs a self contained system that has the condenser and evaporator in one box. But it's MUCH more expensive as you've seen. A 16k self-contained unit can be had for under $2k but a condenser alone on a split system will be $5k or more.

Another thing to be aware of, it is not uncommon (happened to me) that you replace the condenser with a new one and the fresh condenser/pump causes a leak somewhere else in the system. In my case it then necessitated the replacement of the evaporator/air handler. Bottom line, replacing these systems runs into big bucks and I personally wouldn't replace anything that was working satisfactorily unless I had the budget to replace all components....

I don't believe there are any other options for the condenser units. You either go with brand new systems (either split like you have or perhaps self contained) or you replace the condenser with another Cruiseaire. So you're aware, the split system you have is similar to a house system. The noisy condenser is usually located in the engine room or machinery compartment and the evaporator/air handler is located near the living area.

It's a common setup and great for noise vs a self contained system that has the condenser and evaporator in one box. But it's MUCH more expensive as you've seen. A 16k self-contained unit can be had for under $2k but a condenser alone on a split system will be $5k or more.

Another thing to be aware of, it is not uncommon (happened to me) that you replace the condenser with a new one and the fresh condenser/pump causes a leak somewhere else in the system. In my case it then necessitated the replacement of the evaporator/air handler. Bottom line, replacing these systems runs into big bucks and I personally wouldn't replace anything that was working satisfactorily unless I had the budget to replace all components....

Thank you! That is really helpful.
~A

Back
Top Bottom