A.C. protection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

backinblue

Guru
Vessel Name
Blue Moon
Vessel Make
Mainship Pilot 355
A year or 2 ago, I purchased a checking device to plug into a shore power outlet to verify proper polarity and gounding. I try to use it whenever I connect to a transient slip. I just saw this which doesn't cost much more and includes surge protection. It would be easy to leave this permanently attached to my power cord, (I can manage using only 1 of 2) and when plugging in, check the LEDs and if OK, turn on the breakers on my boat. That way I'd never forget to check, and also have the extra benefit of surge protection. Just thought I'd share. Any thoughts?

https://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|328|2290035|2290037&id=7390658

Surge protection plus used extensively on RVs and probably a good idea for marine. My motorhome unit has saved my a couple times when park elec was deficient. The better units also monitor and protect for over / under V as well as the features mentioned for that one.
I also wonder how handy that angle head would be for pedestals where the plug is near vertical and hangs down using the straight vs angled plug.
You can get hardwired 30A & 50A versions meant for RVs that could be mounted aboard ahead of a main breaker to keep it out of the Wx and avoid a separate component that could walk away?

Surge protection plus used extensively on RVs and probably a good idea for marine. My motorhome unit has saved my a couple times when park elec was deficient. The better units also monitor and protect for over / under V as well as the features mentioned for that one.
I also wonder how handy that angle head would be for pedestals where the plug is near vertical and hangs down using the straight vs angled plug.
You can get hardwired 30A & 50A versions meant for RVs that could be mounted aboard ahead of a main breaker to keep it out of the Wx and avoid a separate component that could walk away?

I also wonder whether the angled head is a + or -. I'm not rushing to buy it immediately since I already have the device that does the check prior to plugging in, but I probably would have bought this intead if I had known about it. Maybe this summer I'll look aat plug orientation at a few marinas first. I like the idea of an on-board hard-wired version, but I'm not likely to make that modification. Wonder if many new boats incorporate them.

EDIT: After another minute of thought, if the angled head is a problem, you could add it at the boat end of the cord instead of the dock end!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom