Buying LEDs For Your Vessel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pgitug

Guru
Vessel Name
Escapade
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 37 2002
I was a strong supporter of
Superbrightleds.com for several years but last week I ordered two units that came dead on arrival. I got a return label from them and got a credit for the units but not the $3 shipping cost to me. I then bought the same LED units on Amazon and got 10 units for the same price as 2 from Superbrights. And they work[emoji844]
Superbrightled - [emoji107]
Amazon - [emoji106]

$3.00 wow, I was ready to order a led motion light till I saw the shipping charge of $12. I guess diesel fuel headed back towards $4 a gallon might be the reason ?

Maybe they have improved but the ones we bought from amazon only lasted one year of infrequent use before they dimmed or started flickering or both. One manufacturer sold 2 for about $15 that were both bright and non flickering for four years now. Sorry can’t remember the name but will post when I find it.

Here you go;
LUYED 2 x 1440 Lumens Super Bright 1156

Last edited:
Maybe they have improved but the ones we bought from amazon only lasted one year of infrequent use before they dimmed or started flickering or both. One manufacturer sold 2 for about $15 that were both bright and non flickering for four years now. Sorry can’t remember the name but will post when I find it.

Here you go;
LUYED 2 x 1440 Lumens Super Bright 1156
Make sure to get ones rated for 30V
SuperbrightLEDs are very good and most? Have an amperage control circuit to protect against the burnout / flicker.
They also sell a V control circuit that protects a against hi V that causes problems... it can be installed in a circuit protecting existing lights.
I've had poor life with the inexpensive strip LEDs

I screwed around with a variety of LED providers and finally settled on Marinebeam for very high quality, and great very knowledgeable personal service. Based in South Carolina and they know boat-related lighting and electrical issues extremely well. You can even call them and get very helpful advice. https://store.marinebeam.com/about-us/

Agree with Bacchus on 30v but also look for ones with heat sinks. As voltage goes up it seems LEDs generate more heat which shortens life. On Amazon, if they don’t give you specs stay away from them.

I am also a fan of marine beam. Both the quality of the products and customer service have been top notch.

Two go-to sources for LEDs are Norman Lighting in Oklahoma and Watt-a-Light in Canada. I get all my Edison base bulbs from Watt-a-Light and the festoon and other bulbs from Norman Lighting.

I just purchased and tested several styles and brands for the interior. They are Amazon and Chinese made. But I am happy with all of them so far. They have been in use for a few month or so. I made a short video bench testing several and then installed as well. https://youtu.be/9l7yS7jQmlQ

Back
Top Bottom