Built-in GPS with VHF radio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwag956

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Scrimshaw
Vessel Make
1990 GB 42 Classic
Time to replace my FB VHF radio - looking at GX1800/1850. The 1850 has N2K hookup. Both have models that include a in-built GPS (though the 1850 with GPS doesn't actually seem available anywhere).

Question - given a working N2K network, with a GPS antenna on it - are there pros/cons to having an in-built GPS in the VHF?

Sidenote: alas TF search ignores short words like 'GPS' and 'VHF' - has anyone explored whether TF forum could not exclude all 3 letter words?

The built in is a good backup, redundancy is always good. I don't have a NMEA network, so I bought the built in.

No down side that I can think of. I have had multiple GPS receivers on my Garmin / Vesper N2K without any issues. Hold out for N2K, so much better! If you have an AIS that transmits or plan to add one I would NOT get a radio with built in AIS receive unless it has a provision to disable. As far as I can tell (and emails from Standard Horizon) this is not an option with the Standard Horizon units. You really don't want multiple AIS units telling you about the same stuff.

Back
Top Bottom