Budget boater desperately seeking nav software

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for confirming, that's the way I read it.

The SH 2200 is a great little radio and having built in AIS is nice - no second antenna required. Would be nice if it had WIFI, Bluetooth built in, N2K, and AIS Tx function - maybe next generation!

:thumb:

I go with the guys on opencpn. I put 2 mini computers ($220 each) and 14" monitors ($100 each) with a Bu GPS antenna $35. OPen cpn will download the latest NOAA charts free for you, and update them for you at a click of a button. It will also download WX charts from the internet and overlay them on your chart for you. As well as downloading WX charts via SSB from the USCG for you and overlay them. Very powerful programme. The same Mini comp and monitors I use as television , fm radio, computer on the bridge, I also use them for all my Skype video calls etc.
Opencpn is indeed impressive. Powerful and seems very stable. That's the problem though, I'm in a 29' Monterey trawler. I'm in to simplicity. I found myself drilling deep into Opencpn. Many folders, subfolders, and submenus, and spending a lot of time looking at tutorial videos. With all that power you'd think it'd be the most expensive. But it's free! So I'm looking to go a little dumber. Navionics for example loads and you basically hit the ground running. Plug and play. I-boat looks interesting. will try it. Btw, Hella ship you got there with that CL.

are there any low/no apps aside from Opencpn?

MX Mariner
AquaMap Master
Embark
iSailor
probably several others...

Tablet/phone with internal GPS, or with an external GPS puck for non-cellular iThings, all self-sufficient.

-Chris

I run Open CPN on a Raspberry Pi 3B+. It will run everything just fine and the all up system cost was about $150 including a 7" touch screen. For $200 I could have gone with a 15" screen. There is an AIS add on for the Pi for about $60 and you can also add radar. I do find that the Pi has trouble with course up, but it works fine in north up.

This is a bit of a scolding for those calling OpenCPN free as in no charge when it really is free as in freedom. It's important to understand the definition of free with reference to OpenCPN's license. OpenCPN is licensed under the GNU General Public License for open source software which states in part
When we speak of free software, we are referring to freedom, not price. Our General Public Licenses are designed to make sure that you have the freedom to distribute copies of free software (and charge for them if you wish), that you receive source code or can get it if you want it, that you can change the software or use pieces of it in new free programs, and that you know you can do these things.
Proponents of open source software will ask us to think free this way, "Free speech not free beer".

OpenCPN doesn't help when their web site clearly says
Its Free Software
without explaining free.

OpenCPN's web site has a donate button where they state
Support OpenCPN

Not everyone can contribute with code, but please consider helping out financially.
The developers need access to a lot of hardware to be able to develop for all platforms.
Your contributions also help keep this site going.
Those of us who use and depend upon OpenCPN should make a donation if we want to see the platform continue.

Climbing off my soap box now.

Navionics for example loads and you basically hit the ground running. Plug and play.
No one likes simplicity more than I do. At my age, it's a prime requirement when purchasing anything electronic for the boat. Navionics is my choice for my go to navigating programs. (My MFD came with 4 different nav programs!) i think the instructions for Navionics are somewhere on my boat but I have no idea as to where since I've had no reason to read them. (Very intuitive software.):dance:

Navionics is my choice for my go to navigating programs. (My MFD came with 4 different nav programs!)

Literally four different programs, interfaces, etc.??

Or four different chart systems?

Our plotter and laptop app will work with any of four different chart systems (C-Map vector, Navionics vector, NOAA raster, NOAA vector), but it's all the same underlying program (application) and graphical user interface.

FWIW, I've been trying to get used the vector charts, given NOAA's position on raster chart and the way forward... What a bunch of clutter. Haven't quite gotten used to all that, what to suppress, what to show, how to quickly view something that's been suppressed, typeface scaling, etc. With raster, I can just zoom in, zoom out, all good... but with vector I had to use split screen mode with different scales on each... which in turn meant smaller views in each window, not as much context available...

I'll figure it out over time, I guess, but so far it's slightly painful...

-Chris

If you're a bit of a tinkerer...

I've been using Openplotter 2 on a Raspberry Pi 4, which is pretty easy to interface with the boat's NMEA 2000 and ethernet networks. That offers a lot of flexibility. I leave that running headless in an electronics compartment, and run OpenCPN on a Dell 2-in-1 that has high screen brightness (>500 nits) at the helm.

This guy's done some pretty cool things with the Pi and an HDMI display:

https://bareboat-necessities.github.io/my-bareboat/

You could sorta pick and choose what you'd like from that, if OpenCPN makes sense for you.

Will OpenCPN accept and display AIS data from another source?

I use OpenCPN with a GPS puck and laptop, works great.

I use OpenCPN. It gets AIS data from my AIS transceiver via NMEA-0183.

Basically my NMEA-0183 radio is connected to an adapter than translates to NMEA-2000 for the SeaTalk-NG bus. OpenCPN picks it up from there via a similar translator.

The key being OpenCPN only speaks NMEA 1083, but it can accept the data (for AIS and a number of other bits of instrument data) via ethernet. So if you've got a multiplexer like Kplex running somewhere, you can point OpenCPN at that. Kplex comes in the box with Openplotter 2.

You'd get that here, by the way:

https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/en/latest/getting_started/downloading.html

But not worthwhile unless you're cool with running a Pi on the boat. In my case I'm fortunate to have a nice spot inside the helm console that is not exposed to weather, and has access to DC power and both my onboard LAN and the NMEA 2000 bus (via an Actisense NGT-1, which costs way more than the Pi).

https://www.quark-elec.com/product/qk-a032ais-nmea-2000-0183-bi-directional-gateway-wifi/ $130 From Quark and it's a full blown N2k - N0183 multiplexer with USB and WIFI interfaces - will work with most anything including a PC. AIS from your SH vhf interfaces via the WIFI or USB.

The Panasonic "tough book" is a great suggestion - if you can find a good one at a reasonable price.

My son uses I-Boat on his catalina -very simple user interface - better than openCPN. I like the graphics - easy to see in daylight. openCPN has a complex user interface for some of the advanced functions. Price is right on either. I love my SH vhf - the GPS and AIS receivers are super sensitive and don't require a second vhf antenna. No chance of blowing the AIS rec.

You mean I-boating? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.skiracer.nautical_astore_lite&hl=en_US

Yes - sorry, fingers go slower than the brain some times. I am currently running "I-Boating" along side "Opencpn" and "Active Captain" for comparison.

I-Boating just seems to be more robust, runs smoother and has a cleaner interface than the others IMHO. I'm running these on an Amazon Fire HD-8 with a Bluetooth linked GPS puck. No wires and because the GPS has its own battery, the setup will run all day without a recharge. I don't have it hooked to the ais receiver, but it could be via wifi. The tablet has a foam protector case which make it very easy to handle as well as a glare reducing screen protector. I really like the route planning functions of "I-Boating" . When we are underway, the Admiral can monitor our overall progress for the day, from anywhere on the boat.

My primary system is a Garmin package installed at the helm station - the tablet based system matches the fixed Garmin GPS/MAP closely.

Gud Luck.

Yes - sorry, fingers go slower than the brain some times. I am currently running "I-Boating" along side "Opencpn" and "Active Captain" for comparison.

I-Boating just seems to be more robust, runs smoother and has a cleaner interface than the others IMHO. I'm running these on an Amazon Fire HD-8 with a Bluetooth linked GPS puck. No wires and because the GPS has its own battery, the setup will run all day without a recharge. I don't have it hooked to the ais receiver, but it could be via wifi. The tablet has a foam protector case which make it very easy to handle as well as a glare reducing screen protector. I really like the route planning functions of "I-Boating" . When we are underway, the Admiral can monitor our overall progress for the day, from anywhere on the boat.

My primary system is a Garmin package installed at the helm station - the tablet based system matches the fixed Garmin GPS/MAP closely.

Gud Luck.
Do you have to pay extra to install it on a second device? I like the looks of it so far.

Not sure. Been six months since I first tried it. I think I also downloaded it to a smaller Fire 5", but I would have to go look. (I use the smaller tablet in the airplane and its a few mile away at the airport) I think you have to pay for the maps on each download, but one application can be run on multiple CPUs - I think!!. In any case, prices are reasonable.

Tablet's on sale as refurb - pretty good deal.

https://www.amazon.com/All-New-Tabl...d=1588794774&sprefix=Fire,aps,189&sr=8-8&th=1

The 10hr battery life is conservative !!! other versions not as good.

Admiral has one - downloads movies and watches when trip get as little boring!

GPS:
https://www.amazon.com/GlobalSat-BT...128&sprefix=blurtooth+gps,aps,173&sr=8-4&th=1

Couple of used ones too, but if you use the multiplexer you don't need one.

Not sure. Been six months since I first tried it. I think I also downloaded it to a smaller Fire 5", but I would have to go look. (I use the smaller tablet in the airplane and its a few mile away at the airport) I think you have to pay for the maps on each download, but one application can be run on multiple CPUs - I think!!. In any case, prices are reasonable.

Tablet's on sale as refurb - pretty good deal.

https://www.amazon.com/All-New-Tabl...d=1588794774&sprefix=Fire,aps,189&sr=8-8&th=1

The 10hr battery life is conservative !!! other versions not as good.

Admiral has one - downloads movies and watches when trip get as little boring!

GPS:
https://www.amazon.com/GlobalSat-BT...128&sprefix=blurtooth+gps,aps,173&sr=8-4&th=1

Couple of used ones too, but if you use the multiplexer you don't need one.

Sheesh. $50 bucks for a 8" tablet. I can't afford NOT to get one.

Kinda the way I felt about it .... and I haven't been disappointed! You said you wanted a bigger display. This is only 7", but the resolution is great, and you can zoom in with little or no loss of readability. I didn't believe the battery life numbers till my wife watched movies on hers all day long. Problem with big displays usually they are power hawgs!

And hey, with Amazon's liberal return policy ...

Kinda the way I felt about it .... and I haven't been disappointed! You said you wanted a bigger display. This is only 7", but the resolution is great, and you can zoom in with little or no loss of readability. I didn't believe the battery life numbers till my wife watched movies on hers all day long. Problem with big displays usually they are power hawgs!

And hey, with Amazon's liberal return policy ...
They make a 10" version I might try. Fire not too bad? Not bombarded with ads from Darth Bezos?

Navionics on a mobile device(doesn't need cell service) is all you need assuming you have a backup and you can see the screen(tall order).

I got by without a chartplotter and used a tablet and my phone using navionics. I installed mounts at both stations for the tablet(moved it from upper and lower) and typically just used my cell phone for reference.

Navionics on a mobile device(doesn't need cell service) is all you need assuming you have a backup and you can see the screen(tall order).

I got by without a chartplotter and used a tablet and my phone using navionics. I installed mounts at both stations for the tablet(moved it from upper and lower) and typically just used my cell phone for reference.
Isn't Navionics one of the more pricey nav apps?

I'll figure [OpenCPN] out over time, I guess, but so far it's slightly painful.

I totally agree with you Chris. I'm pretty good with stuff like this but have likewise found OpenCPN frustrating. Its fun to play with, but I greatly prefer Rosepoint's Coastal Explorer for PC charting. But given I emphasize intuitive and reliable interface so crew is comfortable, I remain committed to a purpose-built Marine MFD system as my system-of-record to run the boat.

OpenCPN is free shareware and the US ENCs are also free (well, taxpayer funded), so I recommend it to the OP to answer his question on navigable waters.

Peter

I remain committed to a purpose-built Marine MFD system as my system-of-record to run the boat.
The older you get, the more sense this makes. :oldman:

I totally agree with you Chris. I'm pretty good with stuff like this but have likewise found OpenCPN frustrating. Its fun to play with, but I greatly prefer Rosepoint's Coastal Explorer for PC charting. But given I emphasize intuitive and reliable interface so crew is comfortable, I remain committed to a purpose-built Marine MFD system as my system-of-record to run the boat.

OpenCPN is free shareware and the US ENCs are also free (well, taxpayer funded), so I recommend it to the OP to answer his question on navigable waters.

I didn't mean OpenCPN, I just meant vector charts.

I like TimeZero, and the few tablet apps we use are useful "mostly back-ups."

AquaMap turned into a little more than a back-up over our last winter trip south and then back north... because it can include the USACE survey maps, useful along the AICW.

Bur dealing with the clutter on our NOAA vector charts in TimeZero and on the plotter -- selecting what's critical, subduing less useful stuff -- was a chore...

-Chris

I didn't mean OpenCPN, I just meant vector charts.

I like TimeZero, and the few tablet apps we use are useful "mostly back-ups."

AquaMap turned into a little more than a back-up over our last winter trip south and then back north... because it can include the USACE survey maps, useful along the AICW.

Bur dealing with the clutter on our NOAA vector charts in TimeZero and on the plotter -- selecting what's critical, subduing less useful stuff -- was a chore...

-Chris
I agree that part of the issue is getting the right level of filtering on ENC charts. I was an early adopter of ENC charts many years ago when they first started to emerge. I recognize their value and currency, but I must say I find I can detect patterns and trends much easier on old school raster charts. For example, running the ICW at night, there is often a pattern between lit ATONs and day marks. For some reason, I see it much more intuitively with raster charts. Maybe it's because many/most navigators run their chart plotters over-zoomed which undermines situational awareness where patterns are

One addition item for OP: for about $15, you can get a subscription to Navionics on a smart phone. You can peruse the nation's waterways easily. Good interface.

...but I must say I find I can detect patterns and trends much easier on old school raster charts.

Yeah, 47 years (now) of paper/raster experience, only very occasional vector use...

But I'll catch on, eventually...

-Chris

Will OpenCPN accept and display AIS data from another source?

I use OpenCPN with a GPS puck and laptop, works great.

I have set up OpenCPN to accept AIS data over WiFi from my Vesper 8000. Go to “connections”

I opted for a Navionics subscription in 2019 primarily as a way to access Active Capt data while cruising. Full US was $25 and US Canada was $29.
Any charts downloaded continue to be usable (but not updated) beyond the expiration if you choose not to renew.
I was very impressed with the navigation capability and ease of use and ended up using it daily over 60+ straight days of cruising.
I also ran my Raymarine GPS/MFD along w Navionics on a tablet and enjoyed having belt & suspenders in addition to paper and the good old fashioned way as a second back-up.
A Navionics subscription is good for multi devices and has the advantage of portability and being in your pocket when talking to other boaters and gathering local knowledge & tips.

Ditto. this is what we have always done and it's a great option.

Ditto. this is what we have always done and it's a great option.

I've been driving myself insane downloading all these endless apps with their endless reviews. There does seem to be Navionics Gravity in the Boatverse that relentlessly draws you toward it.

Many are drawn to pretty baubles or gimmicks.

It's what you find yourself using regularly that ultimately satisfies.

The vast majority of boaters I know severely underutilize their expensive navigation suites and are convinced by magazines and a few glossy blogs of what they need instead of the simple basics that really are adequate.

Heck, they severely underutilize their boats..... :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom