Best Digital multi-meter for boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a standalone PC usb BASED 2 CHANNEL SCOPE THAT IS very handy. It Will let you record readings to almost unlimited memory. Working alone it is essential.
Now scopes that's a whole different view. I have a old mac mentor scanner with a 4 channel scope if I need that. [emoji106]

fun fact about my fluke T5-1000 meter

I recently had my Xantrex modified sinewave inverter/charger removed. I upgraded to a Xantrex truesinewave SW2012.
I'm going to sell my old inverter on Craigslist so I set it up on my bench at home with a couple of plug ends on the AC and a battery on the DC.

When I went to measure the AC voltage on invert, with my Fluke T5-1000 meter, it measured 7 volts AC in an intermitant fashion. I checked the trouble shooting manual and it said to try a true rms meter. I had an old analog meter sitting around that I have had for about 30 years and I checked the voltage and it read 120v

The older analog multimeter gave the Xantrex a load, thus turning on voltage in the inverter. Your digital multimeter did not. On the older units, they need to sense a load to put out voltage. I had to wire in a drop-light to mine in order to see voltage with a digital multimeter. Pretty common.

Blue Sea, they make great stuff in Washington State.

I like my Fluke 902 FC because you can use the leads or the clamp (about $250).

Fluke.JPG

My Blue Sea clamp meter has served me well. Perhaps not a Fluke, but for $150 very useful and includes clamp DC Amps

Last edited:
...Harbor Freight Cen Tech 98674 11 function

One and only time I used a Harbor Freight meter I was checking voltage on a household plug. When I connected the meter it generated a pop, sparks, and a bad smell. Didn't do anything after that.

Not going to try one again.

I use a Fluke 115. Not that expensive, like $150 three years ago. Has Hz setting, and can check capacitors for uF. Have yet to replace batt in three years, so not a batt eater (dang, better check it for leaking!!). I have a separate cheapo clamp meter for AC amps. Don't yet have a DC clamp meter, but there are other ways to troubleshoot DC amp situations.

In decades of doing all my own work I have only used elcheapo digital meters. Only once in all that time did I need anything else and that was to measure frequency. I have them scattered all over and i I loose one no big deal.

I was able to get a nice clamp on ac-dc multimeter just like the expensive Ancor or Blueseas on e bay new for $30. They are both Chinese anyway so I just cut out the brand name premium.
I could find the link maybe from a couple years ago

I have a few cheap meters, a decent meter that's a copy of Fluke 87, and I actually wore out a Fluke 87 after 20+ years of abuse. My go to meter lately is a Hantek 2D72 which has all the good DMM functions, a 2 channel scope, and a function generator. It's a slick tool.

I was diagnosing a bunch of different electrical issues on a friend's old Gulfstar last week, and my NewMar (by Extech, see page 1 of this thread) was so handy. I used all the functions, AC and DC other than frequency.

One great feature I was quickly reminded of is the physical design. Beyond the fairly small size noted in my first post, I could lay the unit down upright due to its horizontal, flat sided layout, in any number of odd places, which made it very easy to take and see readings while moving the probes around. It's easy to see why NewMar picked this unit for working on boats.

One and only time I used a Harbor Freight meter I was checking voltage on a household plug. When I connected the meter it generated a pop, sparks, and a bad smell. Didn't do anything after that.

Not going to try one again.

You messed up and let the smoke out. It must stay contained inside to work. :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom