Best Android Tablet to Run Navionics App?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sammy999

Looking for recommendations for a 'Android' tablet to specifically run Navionics chart app. Any Experience with a Samsung S7 or S7+? A main consideration is screen brightness. Are there other tablets besides Samsung? We already have an iPad with Aquamaps. Thanks and Happy Holidays!

I ran Navionics on an old Samsung Tab A8 and had no visibility problems. I just got a new Samsung S7 as a Xmas present (in waiting) but haven't actually used it yet. Take trip to Best Buy and take a look... maybe even ask if a tech would accompany you outside to view it in daylight / sunlight? 20190607_111610.jpg

We use Samsung Tab A tablets, one a 10" and one an 8", both in Otterbox cases, for nav apps. Daylight visibility -- on our covered bridge -- is generally acceptable. Nowhere near as good as on a decent color MFD.

-Chris

I run Navionics, OpenCPN, and Aqua Map on Samsung S3 & S7 tablets with out issues. Brightness isn't an issue. The S7 does have a polarized screen - so I have to 'view' it in landscape when I'm wearing my sunglasses (which is pretty much all the time on the bridge).

I use a Dragontouch K10 I got on Amazon for $120. Runs Navionics, OpenCpn and Aquamap flawlessly (not all at the same time). More than bright enough under the Bimini and when plugged into a 2.1A USB outlet the battery stays ahead of the demand. I don't see a reason to spend more, especially for a $800 iPad. Keep in mind this is on a boat, eventually you're going to get it wet or break it. I'd hate to see that happen on an expensive one. My first tablet was a fairly expensive Samsung, it didn't last long.

I'm always prefer Samsung because of their hardcore part are more durable then others.

128 GB or 256 GB?

Going to spring for the Samsung Galaxy Tab S7+. I plan on loading Navionics and Waterway Guide and maybe a few other boating apps. Is 128 GB enough storage or is 256 GB better just in case? I might load a 2nd source of charts like Coastal Explorer. We have Aqua Maps on our iPad. Don’t mind paying the extra $150 or so. Also, is a protective case a good idea and if so is there a best case and stand. Thanks and Happy New Year!!

Last edited:
If you can find one, I highly recommend Samsung Galaxy View SM-T670. 18.4" screen and very viewable in daylight. Built in GPS and a USB port. I use it on our covered flybridge but mostly in our pilothouse.

Attachments

• IMG_5729a.jpg
    IMG_5729a.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 49
Anyone using a gateway to let Navionics or OpenCPN on your tablet talk with your autopilot to navigate a route?

I too am trying to improve the connectivity on my Monk 36. I think I need a NMEA 2000 wifi converter to allow my new Tab A7 to connect to the backbone the PO had installed. He has a NMEA 0183 converter by digital yacht that will only connect by their app to an ipad. The digital yacht ais is connected to the backbone as is the Garmin autopilot. So I am hoping that a nmea2000 wifi adaptor will allow Navionics to communicate with these. I was very pleased with how the tablet worked stand alone with the Navionics app. Easy to read in bright sunlight and the battery lasted a 8 hr trip. Any comments from those who might have digital yacht ais would be appreciated. Thanks...

Going to spring for the Samsung Galaxy Tab S7+. I plan on loading Navionics and Waterway Guide and maybe a few other boating apps. Is 128 GB enough storage or is 256 GB better just in case? I might load a 2nd source of charts like Coastal Explorer. We have Aqua Maps on our iPad. Don’t mind paying the extra $150 or so. Also, is a protective case a good idea and if so is there a best case and stand. Thanks and Happy New Year!!

Get the 256 GB! No one ever said, "Damn, looks like I got too much memory in this thing!"

A couple of years ago I tried using several different nav apps and ended up getting a lightly-used 12.9" iPad Pro from a seller on craigslist. I usually use AquaMaps but also use Navionics. Both are great programs. I really like having the big screen.

I prefer to run from the flybridge but in rain or other adverse conditions I will run from the pilothouse. I like being able to carry the iPad back and forth.

I installed 12-volt USB outlets at each nav station over five years ago, and the iPad Pro will slowly drain down over a 4-6 hour stretch. This summer I will replace the ports with higher-output versions.

My advice, FWIW, is get the biggest screen size you can. Put on a screen protector. Get 12-volt USB power wherever you're going to use the device.

Finally, I made a mount on the flybridge to securely hold my iPad. I don't want it flying around when we hit the occasional wake or rough water!

That’s why I run my iPad Pro from a 500 watt inverter plugged into the 12V outlet on the bridge. The inverter also has usb outlets for phone charging.

When purchasing usb chargers that plug into 12v cigarette type sockets , be aware that most only output ~1200mA. Read the fine print on the side and get the 2100mA units to run the iPads.

Avionics app

Looking for recommendations for a 'Android' tablet to specifically run Navionics chart app. Any Experience with a Samsung S7 or S7+? A main consideration is screen brightness. Are there other tablets besides Samsung? We already have an iPad with Aquamaps. Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Depending on your device. Buikt in chart plotter or ipad? Handheld phone? If the information is coming to u via internet. There is your limitation the world is not yet covered by internet and depending on your cruising grounds you will be limited by signal you can but boosters for internet and but items like solis that will give you internet most places but to rely on that for nav is dicey. A built in system as a char otter is preferable though the licensing is pricey every few years for upgrades hey no one said this boating thing was cheap

A lot of plotting software is device installed as well as the charts...buy a device with a built in GPS or with a GPS dongle and the internet is not required.

These types of setups are pretty common these days.

In the US, updated US waters charts are free

A couple of years ago I tried using several different nav apps and ended up getting a lightly-used 12.9" iPad Pro from a seller on craigslist. I usually use AquaMaps but also use Navionics. Both are great programs. I really like having the big screen.

I prefer to run from the flybridge but in rain or other adverse conditions I will run from the pilothouse. I like being able to carry the iPad back and forth.

I installed 12-volt USB outlets at each nav station over five years ago, and the iPad Pro will slowly drain down over a 4-6 hour stretch. This summer I will replace the ports with higher-output versions.

My advice, FWIW, is get the biggest screen size you can. Put on a screen protector. Get 12-volt USB power wherever you're going to use the device.

Finally, I made a mount on the flybridge to securely hold my iPad. I don't want it flying around when we hit the occasional wake or rough water!
Looking at running the APP on either a Samsung Galaxy A or iPad (cellular/wifi) 10'' tablet via RAM mounts on the dashboard. There is a big price difference between the Samsung and Ipad ($399 vs $849). Just looking for comparisons. Any help would be much appreciated..... Cheers

I use the iPad / Navionics, but run a small inverter to give it 120 volts. I find on open flybridge boats it works fine, but in an enclosed pilot house it has trouble keeping the gps position. I’ve seen Samsung units running navionics that do not have that problem.

Looking at running the APP on either a Samsung Galaxy A or iPad (cellular/wifi) 10'' tablet via RAM mounts on the dashboard. There is a big price difference between the Samsung and Ipad ($399 vs $849). Just looking for comparisons. Any help would be much appreciated..... Cheers
I use an older Samsung A series tablet to run both Navionics and OpenCPN. It works well, no issues. On the flybridge, in the pilot house, in the salon. Anywhere on the boat.

I'm not an Apple user so cannot make a direct comparison between iPad and Galaxy performance. Some are rightfully concerned with privacy issues and Android. If you are concerned and go the Andorid route don't let it go online, don't do email or any social networking from it. Don't keep personal info on it. The cheaper A series Galaxy tablets do not have cellular, at least they didn't when I purchased mine. Turn off WiFi except when updating charts.

Back
Top Bottom