Battery selection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think John is saying that he would rather not discuss his professional experience in the forum.

Regardless of where he has gained the knowledge that have informed his opinions, I have found them to be helpful, informative, and they have concurred with other sources whom I have come to trust.

"not claiming any special knowledge that can't be found by anyone with decent google-fu."

No special knowledge besides what's found via Google searches suggests no work experience to me. Maybe I'm wrong, and that's why I asked him personally for a verification. If I'm going to pay attention someone's advice given anonymously on a public forum, I want to know at least if it's worthwhile to pay attention to. Someone like CMS or Ski in NC are pros who I know can be trusted.

IMO, other wannabe pros (like myself) should be taken with a grain of salt. That's why I resist making technical recommendations and instead, share personal experience. Of course, newbies won't know the difference and can be misled by someone posing as a pro.

Wow!! Another batt thread... what fun!! :thumb:

I'm posting now so when I get opp I can read the posts. :D

Happy Batt-Discussion Daze! - Art :speed boat:

"not claiming any special knowledge that can't be found by anyone with decent google-fu."

No special knowledge besides what's found via Google searches suggests no work experience to me. Maybe I'm wrong, and that's why I asked him personally for a verification. If I'm going to pay attention someone's advice given anonymously on a public forum, I want to know at least if it's worthwhile to pay attention to. Someone like CMS or Ski in NC are pros who I know can be trusted.

IMO, other wannabe pros (like myself) should be taken with a grain of salt. That's why I resist making technical recommendations and instead, share personal experience. Of course, newbies won't know the difference and can be misled by someone posing as a pro.

I read it as he's not crowing for notoriety, unlike a couple others.

I read it as he's not crowing for notoriety, unlike a couple others.

When a TF member posts technical info and opinions as if they are experienced based, Flywright's question as to CV seems reasonable.

That said, I used to manage a lead mine and smelter that produced 150,000 tpy of refined lead. Battery expert, nope. Other than what I read on the internet I know little about how today's batteries are made. I do know I throw my Trojan 105s away after 7-8 years. Kinda like buying insurance.

dhays,
I have had bad experience with Balmar's Smartguage. I have spoken to Balmar about it several time. With new batteries, fully charged showing 13.1v on the charger. The SG shows 86% SOC.

I had the same issue till I upgraded to a better charger with better charging stages and solar.

I think if the Balmar doesnt agree with what the charger is doing, it ever getting to 100% was hit or miss.

And yes, most everything posted on batteries you can find with google. And yes even all source info doesnt always agree with each other.

And yes cost analysis between types of batteries is alwas debateable unless prorated warranty use is very exact and you bother with it.... and dont by one in an emergecy, remote location mode.

And yes there is science in not mixing battery sized and age, but practicality sometimes trumps science in peoples minds...

Etc...etc....

I had the same issue till I upgraded to a better charger with better charging stages and solar.

I think if the Balmar doesnt agree with what the charger is doing, it ever getting to 100% was hit or miss.

And yes, most everything posted on batteries you can find with google. And yes even all source info doesnt always agree with each other.

And yes cost analysis between types of batteries is alwas debateable unless prorated warranty use is very exact and you bother with it.... and dont by one in an emergecy, remote location mode.

And yes there is science in not mixing battery sized and age, but practicality sometimes trumps science in peoples minds...

Etc...etc....

East Penn Mfg.... deep cycle or starter LA batts... from top service Batts Plus stores. Inexpensive, durable, powerful. Keeping it [very] simple... etc etc... :D :thumb:

Last edited:
When a TF member posts technical info and opinions as if they are experienced based, Flywright's question as to CV seems reasonable.

I would be interested in any posts he's made that are technically incorrect. I havent found any but I am far too lazy to read all of them. :D

I would also welcome any questions, clarifications or corrections, I try to learn new things everyday, and this gets harder over time for a given topic domain.

"If I'm going to pay attention someone's advice given anonymously on a public forum, I want to know at least if it's worthwhile to pay attention to."

This is why a PUBLIC forum is always best , folks that have a different Opinion can chime in with their views.

Back
Top Bottom