Old 12-11-2011, 12:39 PM   #41

RE: Battery replacement

Do you have all AGM batteries. I plan on using lead acid for start hence didn't think I ought to mix lead acid an other batteries and I wanted the start batteries to have the high CCA. For price consideration had to use Lead Acid for them. Thanks
Fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:31 PM   #42
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
Fighterpilot wrote:
Do you have all AGM batteries. I plan on using lead acid for start hence didn't think I ought to mix lead acid an other batteries and I wanted the start batteries to have the high CCA. For price consideration had to use Lead Acid for them. Thanks
*No, if they are on the same charger, you shouldn't mix types or age of batteries. *Moonstruck has two 500np engines. *2 group 31 AGMs do the job of starting quite nicely. *We have a group 27 to start the 12kw NL generator, and 8 Ds on the house bank.
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:39 PM   #43
Guru

City: Cowichan Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Gray Hawk
Vessel Model: Defever 43 Offshore Cruiser

On the boat I have all Trojans - no separate bank - the house bank starts the Lehmans and theres a single 4D to start the gennie.* On the bus I have 3 x 8D AGM deep cycles for a house bank and 2 x 8D lead acid start batts for the start bank.* If/when I replace the house bank I will replace all 5 8Ds with AGM deep cycles and use the entire bank as a combined house/start bank.* That's unusual in the bus world but I think not so uncommon on boats.* Switching to AGMs is also the plan for the boat whenever the Trojans die a natural or unnatural death - I'm more likely to kiil them than they are to die.* On the bus the two banks are tied together when we're going down the road so the alternator charges both banks - I guess that's not ideal (having the deep cycle AGMs and the lead acid starts charging at the same time) but 8 years into their life it doesn't appear to have any ill effects.* When we're parked the connection drops out and the inverter supplemented by the solar controller takes over charging duties.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:36 AM   #44
FF
Guru

I guess that's not ideal (having the deep cycle AGMs and the lead acid starts charging at the same time) but 8 years into their life it doesn't appear to have any ill effects.

All the batts sets see is VOLTAGE , so if the top charge is not too high for the AGM , no problems.

Trojan 6V deep cycles are $90 each less 5% for cask outside Ft Meyers.

A reasonable price .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:09 PM   #45

City: Hampton Bays, N.Y.
Vessel Name: Grand Yankee
Vessel Model: 1981 49' Grand Banks Classic

Blue Seas is coming out with a new line called Pacific Battery Charger in 20-30-40 amp unit. one charger will have the settings to charge one wet bank, one AGM bank and one Gell bank. So if you have wet batts for start and AGms or Gils for the house it will take care of different top end voltage requirements. Hoping to get mine soon.
Ron T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:48 PM   #46

What do you do with your alternator for the different types of batteries?
Fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:47 AM   #47
FF
Guru

"What do you do with your alternator for the different types of batteries?"

Hook the Voltage regulator to "see" the bat set that requires the highest voltage.

Hook the voltage regulation thermometer to the house set IF you have a 3 stage regulator and a huge alternator.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote