Old 12-09-2011, 05:59 AM   #21

RE: Battery replacement

I understand the "Yikes", no don't do that advice. When I talked about jumper to the house side I was thinking disconnect 6 volt system and than jumper to the 12 volt.

As far as "yard man" labor our dock is 23 miles from the nearest yard and than it is 50 to 70 dollars an hour so am reluctant to go that route.

Going to have to take out a leaking 125 gal. fuel tank so will probably do the batteries at the same time. Batteries on outboard side of the 3208 and the tank sits aft of the eng/tx on the same side.
Christmas project when son-in-law is home. Plan now is cut the deck and pull out the tank, than with the tank platform to work on can get the batteries aft to it and slide them back and lift out the the same cutout. Anythoughts?? Thanks
Fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:16 AM   #22
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2

Quote:
sunchaser wrote:I'm sure happy I*have*8 Trojans rather than 1, in the old days I could go for a week of partying with that supply.
*What's that have to do with batteries?*

Attached Images

RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:12 AM   #23
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

Quote:
RickB wrote:sunchaser wrote:I'm sure happy I*have*8 Trojans rather than 1, in the old days I could go for a week of partying with that supply.
*What's that have to do with batteries?*

*A few more and he would have a football team. ;-)
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:18 AM   #24
Guru

I do, of course, have a minor redirect to this thread...

If the weight was not a factor, meaning I can likely get them in the place they will go, would there be any advantage to using two 4D cells for my house bank over the four golf cart batteries I currently use?
Old 12-09-2011, 07:24 AM   #25
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t

Quote:
GonzoF1 wrote:

If the weight was not a factor, meaning I can likely get them in the place they will go, would there be any advantage to using two 4D cells for my house bank over the four golf cart batteries I currently use?
*Keep in mind the 4D's are not true deep cycle where as the golf cart 6V are.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:05 AM   #26
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC

Quote:
sunchaser wrote:
Flywright

Why not hire the gorilla yard*guy to replace the 8Ds you already have? ...
Sunchaser, got the wrong pilot here.* The OP is Fighterpilot.*

Mine were changed out to GCs last spring.* Here's a link to FP's original post on this issue.*

http://www.trawlerforum.com/t4238233...tery-location/

Fighterpilot, is the boat you were discussing in this link as the first 34 LRC you looked at the one you ended up purchasing?
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:11 AM   #27
Guru

City: Cowichan Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Gray Hawk
Vessel Model: Defever 43 Offshore Cruiser

Quote:
RickB wrote:*
Two batteries supplying the same load it will run it for twice as long.

If you add another battery it will run for three times as long.

Was that clear enough or do I have to* dumb it down further?

You can say it as many times as you like, you're still wrong.* But I really don't care - the OP can decide for himself and I won't be buying his batteries if he chooses to follow your advice.

bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:23 AM   #28
Guru

Quote:
JD wrote:GonzoF1 wrote:

*Wait... Then what is this?

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...6219&id=857325
Old 12-09-2011, 10:41 AM   #29
Guru

Quote:
JD wrote:
4D, 8D, Group 31 are all form factor descriptors.* They say nothing about the technology inside the case.* This is probably a gross oversimplification but I believe the difference is related to the thickness of the plates.* More, thinner plates allows a larger current outflow for a start application.* Less, thicker plates is more suited to deep cycle applications.* But the important takeaway is that the form size doesn't say anything about what's inside.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:12 PM   #30
Guru

Yea... I get the size thing, but with size comes an increase in volume. They fill that space with more plates. Just wondering if the differences in a 4D versus two golf cart batts will gain enough of an advantage, whatever it may be, to make it worth it. Time to break out Calder's book again. :-D
Old 12-09-2011, 01:28 PM   #31
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t

Quote:
bobofthenorth wrote:JD wrote:Keep in mind the 4D's are not true deep cycle where as the golf cart 6V are.4D, 8D, Group 31 are all form factor descriptors.* They say nothing about the technology inside the case.**But the important takeaway is that the form size doesn't say anything about what's inside.
*But what the battery was designed for from the get go is also important.* And 8D and 4D were for the most part used as starting batteries for large trucks.* So what some builder puts on the case in wording isn't always the where all or be all.* They can't be both, or rather should not be used for*both.*

6V golf cart batteries have been designed for deep cycle due to the kind of service they get.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:41 PM   #32
Guru

Call me naive but I like to believe the mfr specs at least until I see a good reason not to do so.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:59 PM   #33

FlyWright, yes the boat we finally bought was the first LRC we looked at in the spring. Subsequent to that one we look at bayliners, had a contract on a 36 Chris Craft, sea trialed two bayliners, and two LRCs, and went back to the 34LRC when we saw it on ebay for a lot less than spring price. Plus it was only 60 miles from home dock.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:13 PM   #34
chc

City: PA
Vessel Name: Scooter
Vessel Model: 1984 Californian 34 LRC

Originally, our boat had 2 8D's buried behind the port engine for start & anchor windlass. 4 6V golf cart batteries wired to essentially produce a bank of 2 12V batteries for the house use. These were buried behind the starboard engine ( Detroit 8.2's). Service to either bank was ugly. Given that we cruise w/o much marina use, and don't have AC or an onboard generator, I pulled all the old batteries & paid the yard muscle to put in 2 8D AGM's on each side. No mess, no fuss, no crawling around checking cell water levels & a week later finding new holes in whatever I was wearing that day. However simple that turned out to be, I suspect that 4D AGM's may very well be our next choice due to weight & space requirements.
chc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:22 PM   #35
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC

Quote:
bobofthenorth wrote:JD wrote:
4D, 8D, Group 31 are all form factor descriptors.* They say nothing about the technology inside the case.* This is probably a gross oversimplification but I believe the difference is related to the thickness of the plates.* More, thinner plates allows a larger current outflow for a start application.* Less, thicker plates is more suited to deep cycle applications.* But the important takeaway is that the form size doesn't say anything about what's inside.

Yes 4D is the form factor and they come in either a Standard or Deep Cycle versions.* Interstate Batteries for example sells both an industrial 4D starting battery (commonly used in transit buses and my boat) and a 4D Deep Cycle battery (which does what it's name implies).*

They are designed for*different purposes and have different internal components. Their outer case appearance and the liquid*acid design are what they have in common.********
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:29 AM   #36
FF
Guru

The plates , insulation and internal construction between Starts and Deep Cycle batts will be very different ,

but the WEIGHT of the lead is what you pay for.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:07 AM   #37

Stopped by Sams and they have all kinds of starting batteries as well as the 6volt golf cart batteries. Form factor numbers go clear up to the 70s and 90s numbers. Just have to sort out the hook ups, CCA, and the weight. On the 6volts, hook ups, AHr, weight, and price. Thanks for the information. It would appear that I could get them all at Sams at a reasonable price.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:14 AM   #38
Guru

Quote:
FF wrote:
The plates , insulation and internal construction between Starts and Deep Cycle batts will be very different ,

but the WEIGHT of the lead is what you pay for.

Ain't that the truth!* The harder they are to wrastle into place the more amp-hours they will deliver.* The 6 Volt golf cart batteries typically deliver the most power/weight for the least cost but at the expense of many more connections which come with their own set of challenges.

I've got 3 x 8D Lifeline AGMs in the bus.* I hate moving them around but fortunately I don't have to except for when I initially put them in place 8 years ago now.* Gray Hawk has 8 x 6v Trojans that have to be watered regularly.* I like the AGMs better.* The price premium is worthwhile IMHO.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:40 AM   #39
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin

Quote:
bobofthenorth wrote:
I've got 3 x 8D Lifeline AGMs in the bus.* I hate moving them around but fortunately I don't have to except for when I initially put them in place................
******** I have had the same experience. Yes, they are heavy and hard to move around but once in place it's "heaven" for a very long time. There will be those that swear by wet cells but most have not wanted to spend the extra money for AGMs. No contest...it's AGMs, hands down.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:13 AM   #40

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Isobel K
Vessel Model: 37' Custom Pilothouse

sometimes you can get a great price on agm's.

When I upgraded my house bank some 4 years ago, I had planned on using 6v wets, which were priced around $120/ for Trojans. I thought I would shop around to see what else was out there.

I found a battery wholesaler in Everett, who had comparable 6v's in AGM - the brand was Fullriver - chinese.

Of course a bit leary of the quality etc of anything coming out of a Chinese factory, I did some research a found that this particular brand had a very good rep.

I ended up buying 12ea. of the AGM 6v batteries - I can actually get quite a few more units in the space as battery boxes were no longer needed, and I could orient some of the batteries on a slight slope.

The price of these batteries at the time were $165/ea. To me, well worth the price bump.

So far, the bank is tremendous, and no measurable loss of capacity.
bshanafelt is offline   Reply With Quote