battery question to the gurus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ofer

Guru
Vessel Name
Unicorn
Vessel Make
1970 50' DEFEVER OFFSHORE CRUISER Timber
I currently have two banks of 32V system 8V x 4 on each side.

One side is good to start the engine with no issues the other needs replacement and I am not sure I like these 8vs plus they are getting hard to find.

Ill like to use one side for house.

here are the options using 6Vs

5XC6v for 30 volts
6X6V fot 36 volts

a combination of both using a combination of both will yield 33V system with 11 batteries

alternator is charging at 38.5V

Ill like to stay with wet cells

Dyno batteries are used by a lot of the fishing fleet. Look for a business that supports them.

Call “Fisheries Supplies” out of Seattle. They are a Dyno retailer and they supply the fishing fleet in Alaska.

Thanks! didn't know these exist now just have to find them in anchorage Ak

First try Alaska Battery in Anchorage. They are pretty good industrial suppliers.

If that does not work find them in Seattle and have then delivered to Span Alaska Consolidators in Auburn. I use these folks all the time, very reasonable priced.

They will even pick up whatever you have that is too big for UPS/fedex or is hazmat.

Span Alaska uses the barges that leave twice weekly. The barge is three days transit from WA to Anchorage

I would use 3- 12V starting batts in series for the engine start and 6 - 6v deep cycle batts for the house use.

Group 31 for the starts, Group 27 , or larger, what will fit the footprint for the house golf carts.

Fans and motors will be delighted with a slightly higher voltage , and most electronics will not notice the difference.

You will need to purchase new 36v voltage regulators or the old units recalibrated to the higher voltage.

A good 3 or 4 stage regulator would shorten charge time for the house bank, simple re adjustment would be fine for the start system.

Last edited:
Dyno batteries are used by a lot of the fishing fleet. Look for a business that supports them.

Dyno 8VGC are on backorder for a month. I can wait or get Crown battery instead. Would Dyno be considered a superior quality battery or are they all created equal?

Dyno batteries are the best on the West Coast.
My current boat had 21 year old, 12v Dyno 8d batteries when I bought it. They still worked, held a charge.
As a fisherman, I got about 10-12 years out of cared for Dynos.

You can also run 2 12v & an 8v for 32 volts.

Is there any issue with the 32V charging profile on such a configuration or it will figure itself out?

Series adds. But it seems like you have to be careful doing this with capacities I believe. If one of those batteries has significantly lower capacity the voltage would drop on that battery sooner leading to significantly low voltage on the bank. Which of course could cause problems. Probably ok for starting...but I would be hesitant to use that configuration on the house bank that might see considerable DOD. Unless say they were all 100 AH?

Series adds. But it seems like you have to be careful doing this with capacities I believe. If one of those batteries has significantly lower capacity the voltage would drop on that battery sooner leading to significantly low voltage on the bank. Which of course could cause problems. Probably ok for starting...but I would be hesitant to use that configuration on the house bank that might see considerable DOD. Unless say they were all 100 AH?

A 12 volt battery contains six 2 volt (nominal) cells in series. An 8 volt battery contains four 2 volt cells in series.

While wiring two 12 volt batteries and one 8 volt battery in series isn't something I would normally do, the result is the same, the same number (in this case, sixteen) 2 volt cells in series. It would be important that all the batteries be the same age and capacity.

The problem is, you don't eliminate the problem of finding a rare 8 volt battery.

You can buy independent 2 volt cells and make your own 32v custom battery. While this is a more expensive route you do end up with the highest quality battery that can be custom sized for your space.

I have always wanted to replace my L16’s with independent 2 volt cells but I could never justify the cost.

Most of my life I ran a 32v system until my current boat. I always ran 2 12s & an 8. All bought at the same time and 8d. I didn't convert this boat to 32v because the options for 32v pumps, etc., are mostly no longer available or harder to find, this boat has 24/7 Ac power, and the windlass is 240ac. I prefer 32v over 12v because in a larger boat it keeps the line size down and you get fewer motor burnouts if any. The PO changed the windlass over to AC after burning out several 12v motors. I found 3 dead motors the PO saved for some reason. The old DC lines were as big as my thumb but not big enough.

Most of my life I ran a 32v system until my current boat. I always ran 2 12s & an 8. All bought at the same time and 8d. I didn't convert this boat to 32v because the options for 32v pumps, etc., are mostly no longer available or harder to find, this boat has 24/7 Ac power, and the windlass is 240ac. I prefer 32v over 12v because in a larger boat it keeps the line size down and you get fewer motor burnouts if any. The PO changed the windlass over to AC after burning out several 12v motors. I found 3 dead motors the PO saved for some reason. The old DC lines were as big as my thumb but not big enough.

I think 24v has mostly taken over in modern stuff where you otherwise would have used 32v in the past. And sometimes you'll see 48v for an inverter bank, etc. Sticking to multiples of 6 or 12 volts makes the battery part of the system easier, so it's become more common. And there's a lot more 24v gear available than 32v these days as a result.

Unfortunately there is mostly 12v some 24v and little 32v. The automotive industry is in discussion on standardizing to 48 or 60 volt for the future. The higher the voltage the longer motors seem to last and the wires get smaller which is cheaper and for cars its lighter as well. Frankly, I am surprised that AC is not taking over now that we have such great inverters. The windlass and thrusters are prime examples of benefiting from AC.

A 12 volt battery contains six 2 volt (nominal) cells in series. An 8 volt battery contains four 2 volt cells in series.

While wiring two 12 volt batteries and one 8 volt battery in series isn't something I would normally do, the result is the same, the same number (in this case, sixteen) 2 volt cells in series. It would be important that all the batteries be the same age and capacity.

The problem is, you don't eliminate the problem of finding a rare 8 volt battery.

Right...thanks for clarifying the importance of capacity when going to an odd configuration. Its easy when buying two 12 volt Batts to make 24 volts since we just buy two of the same brand and model. Getting two 12 volt batteries and one 8 with the same internal cells might be trickier and require some research or a few phone calls.

Frankly, I am surprised that AC is not taking over now that we have such great inverters. The windlass and thrusters are prime examples of benefiting from AC.
Has for us.
Only things 12 and 24 are instruments, toilets, first lot of bilge pumps and lights
Oh and anchor windlass.

Pretty sure 8 volt batteries are pretty common now in the golf cart world.

https://www.golf-carts-etc.com/8-volt-golf-cart-batteries.html

The 8 volt golf cart battery is the most common. Of course no golf cart runs on one battery like a car. They come in packs. Most battery packs are made up of 6 batteries. The total golf cart battery voltage for six 8 volt batteries is 48.

All new Club Car golf carts use six 8 volt Trojan golf cart batteries

Last edited:
Pretty sure 8 volt batteries are pretty common now in the golf cart world.

https://www.golf-carts-etc.com/8-volt-golf-cart-batteries.html

The 8 volt golf cart battery is the most common. Of course no golf cart runs on one battery like a car. They come in packs. Most battery packs are made up of 6 batteries. The total golf cart battery voltage for six 8 volt batteries is 48.

All new Club Car golf carts use six 8 volt Trojan golf cart batteries

Yes I am finding that to be the case specially for deep cycle. starting is another issue. they can be found but very expensive. if i can mix with 12V it can be a substantial saving.

Unfortunately there is mostly 12v some 24v and little 32v. The windlass and thrusters are prime examples of benefiting from AC.

How awesome would that be to have an AC powered thruster!!!!

Edit: I just did a quick google search. They START at $13k!!! And are either 220VAC or 440VAC...at least on the Sleipner/Imtra website.

Last edited:
How awesome would that be to have an AC powered thruster!!!!

Edit: I just did a quick google search. They START at $13k!!! And are either 220VAC or 440VAC...at least on the Sleipner/Imtra website.

If you want a high powered bow thruster, look into a hydraulic bow thruster.

tiltrider1;1028507.............. The automotive industry is in discussion on standardizing to 48 or 60 volt for the future. .[/QUOTE said:
And fire and rescue workers are trying to learn how to not electrocute themselves when these 48 and 60 volt electric cars are involved in wrecks.

And fire and rescue workers are trying to learn how to not electrocute themselves when these 48 and 60 volt electric cars are involved in wrecks.

Its not the volts that kill you. Its the amps. This is a potential problem for electric powered cars. It is not a problem for gas powered cars that use high voltage low amps for module operations.

FYI I ended up with two connected banks of 4 8V Deep cycle batts. for a total of 32 volt system. my main concerns was starting my Cat 3304. well it started it with no issues at all.

Thanks for all the inputs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom