Old 09-15-2019, 01:37 PM   #21
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Battery monitors ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Dave, is your Xantrex a LinkPro with real time +/-Amp flowmeter? If so, you might like having both units installed to retain that feature that's not on the SG200 (last time I checked...).

I have the LinkLITE. It displays voltage, charge/discharge amps, amp counter, and % SOC.

The Balmar SG200 displays SOH, SOC, charge/discharge amps, and time remaining.

The most useful measures for me are SOC and charge/discharge. The Balmar, over time, should give a much better estimate of SOC than my Xantrex. The Xantrex counts amps really well, but actually knowing what max capacity is of the bank is essentially a guess. In my case, not a very well educated guess at that.

I have other voltage meters which give current voltage of the battery bank so I wouldn’t miss that.

The Balmar Smartgauge doesn’t have an amp flow function so I wouldn’t swap my Xantrex for it.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 01:51 PM   #22
Guru

Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
The Victron BEV 712 does everything that other SOC monitors can.

It has a built in Bluethooth that allows you to see all the information on a phone or tablet.

You need to download the manual to see the list of available functions.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 02:04 PM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Cruising East Coast
Vessel Name: Shiplet
Vessel Model: 382 Diesel Duck
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
... The Balmar SG200 displays SOH, SOC, charge/discharge amps, and time remaining.
The Balmar Smartgauge doesn’t have an amp flow function so I wouldn’t swap my Xantrex for it.
Isn't the 'charge/discharge amps' the same as an 'amp flow function' ? IOW, it shows you real time amp draw or charge rate ?

-Sven
Trawler_traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 02:08 PM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trawler_traveler View Post
Isn't the 'charge/discharge amps' the same as an 'amp flow function' ? IOW, it shows you real time amp draw or charge rate ?

Yup. Which is why I would be OK getting rid of the Xantrex in favor of the Balmar SG200. When I was looking at the Balmar Smartgauge, I wouldn’t have gotten rid of the Xantrex because the Smartgauge have the charge/discharge function. You need a shunt for that and the Smartgauge doesn’t use one. The SG200 does use a shunt.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 09-15-2019, 02:37 PM   #25
Guru

City: Puget Sound
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Ka Sea Ta, I see a Magnum remote in your picture. Their Battery Monitor Kit is excellent and very accurate for all measurements mentioned in this thread, including SOC. Curious as to why you went with SG200. ??

I re-configured the entire battery system, replacing existing 8ds with 4cts added solar and plan to increase the solar portion this year. With tax credits available for alternative energy, which includes energy storage (batteries and associated equipment) it just seemed like it was a good idea to spend the money this year.

SOH and SOC is all information I find useful, that can only be estimated on the magnum remote....There is also parasitic draw from the inverter that isn't accounted for with Magnum remote.
Ka_sea_ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 02:38 PM   #26
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I stand corrected. I was conflating the older Balmar Smartgage lack of current flow with the new SG-200.

The SG-200 DOES have current flow in/out (+/-).

SG200 Battery Monitor | Balmar

Sorry for the confusion.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:20 PM   #27
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Victron 702 for us.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:23 PM   #28
Veteran Member

City: Cruising East Coast
Vessel Name: Shiplet
Vessel Model: 382 Diesel Duck
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
I stand corrected. I was conflating the older Balmar Smartgage lack of current flow with the new SG-200.
Sorry for the confusion.
And I thought the SG in SG-200 stood for Smartgage so they were one and the same

Lots of useful info from all.

-Sven
Trawler_traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:40 PM   #29
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ka_sea_ta View Post
I re-configured the entire battery system, replacing existing 8ds with 4cts added solar and plan to increase the solar portion this year. With tax credits available for alternative energy, which includes energy storage (batteries and associated equipment) it just seemed like it was a good idea to spend the money this year.

SOH and SOC is all information I find useful, that can only be estimated on the magnum remote....There is also parasitic draw from the inverter that isn't accounted for with Magnum remote.
I disagree, the Magnum BMK has a sophisticated way of measuring SOC. As my bank aged, it recalibrated. It takes all outflow into account, and it is not a simple amps-in amps-out algorithm by the way. Whenever I used other methods to double check it, like a good old hydrometer or a measured time draw down, it was always spot on.

We used the hell out out of our inverter bank as we spent months at a time living on a mooring or on the hook, so all this was very important to me. It was also nice to know where we were in the charge cycle and the attendant amp draw. Another nice feature (with additional expenditure to be sure) is that we had the option in the right circumstances, to have the generator turn on automatically at prescribed state of charge. And if you liked turned off likewise.

Anyway, I know the unit you decided on is a good piece of kit, but personally I never saw a reason to install it in our system.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:43 PM   #30
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
RC is always knowledgable and helpful.
I've donated and purchased stuff from him as a token appreciation for his willingness to help educate others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Yeah, imagine my shock after a couple years here on TF when I finally realized that CMS was Mainesail. He is as helpful here as he has been for years on sailing forums.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 04:28 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
I disagree, the Magnum BMK has a sophisticated way of measuring SOC. As my bank aged, it recalibrated. It takes all outflow into account, and it is not a simple amps-in amps-out algorithm by the way. Whenever I used other methods to double check it, like a good old hydrometer or a measured time draw down, it was always spot on.

We used the hell out out of our inverter bank as we spent months at a time living on a mooring or on the hook, so all this was very important to me. It was also nice to know where we were in the charge cycle and the attendant amp draw. Another nice feature (with additional expenditure to be sure) is that we had the option in the right circumstances, to have the generator turn on automatically at prescribed state of charge. And if you liked turned off likewise.

Anyway, I know the unit you decided on is a good piece of kit, but personally I never saw a reason to install it in our system.

I just took this photo as You can see the SG shows a discharge of 5 amps while the Magnum remote shows 0 amps.... I assume the majority of this amp draw is parasitic loss in the inverter itself. there are a couple of 3 watt leds being used but that is it as far as 12 v loads go when I took this Pict.

This parasitic loss goes up substantially when it's inverting.... The SG takes these losses in to account when determining SOC and time left The magnum remote has a lot of good information just not as complete as the SG.
Attached Thumbnails
sg.jpg  
Old 09-15-2019, 04:40 PM   #32
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
RC is always knowledgable and helpful.
I've donated and purchased stuff from him as a token appreciation for his willingness to help educate others.
Rodd Collins was a great help this summer when I fried my Balmar 621 alternator. His familiarity with the alternator and regulator allowed a fast and accurate diagnosis that was verified during rebuild locally. He could have sold me a replacement for similar $$ but steered me toward a local rebuild with Balmar parts as a better alternative for my needs.

He also came to my rescue when I had a question about the alternator temp sensor mount on the ground lug and had Belt Manager setting tips when reprogramming the MC-614 regulator.

My hat's off to Rod Collins of Compass Marine. I hope everyone here patronizes men like this who go to great lengths to share their knowledge and help others. If I was buying a Balmar SG-200 today, tomorrow or a year from now, I'd but it from Compass Marine.

Here's a great video on the SG-200.

Rodd Collins with Compass Marine Reviews SG200 Testing

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 04:59 PM   #33
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
I just took this photo as You can see the SG shows a discharge of 5 amps while the Magnum remote shows 0 amps.... I assume the majority of this amp draw is parasitic loss in the inverter itself. there are a couple of 3 watt leds being used but that is it as far as 12 v loads go when I took this Pict.

This parasitic loss goes up substantially when it's inverting.... The SG takes these losses in to account when determining SOC and time left The magnum remote has a lot of good information just not as complete as the SG.
Turn your remote to port 3 and you'll get the amps out. Have you compared with charger off? I just did mine and can see port 1 at 0 amps and 3 at 2 amps. Also, are the two gauges measuring at the same point?

To the OP, even though my two Magnum BM Ks are decent enough, if to do over I'd likely go Victron. In either case match up with same brand inverter charger.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 07:54 AM   #34
Guru

City: Full Time Cruising East Coast
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Model: Krogen-42
I use the Victron with Bluetooth interface. I can walk around to any 12v device and see the amp draw by turning them on and off.
KK-42097
meridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:18 AM   #35
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Quote:

Do you have the Magnum BMK battery monitor in addition to the Magnum remote? We currently only have the remote and are going to add the BMK monitor for more accurate information.
https://www.theboatgeeks.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:25 AM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridian View Post
I use the Victron with Bluetooth interface. I can walk around to any 12v device and see the amp draw by turning them on and off.

That would be handy.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 09-16-2019, 10:53 AM   #37
Guru

Quote:

I’m not sure I understand. Unless I’m mistaken, the Magnum BMK is still dependent on the Ah capacity of the battery bank that you enter in the setup menu. It will calculate a charge efficiency over time but can’t determine total bank capacity. SOC is based on total Ah in the bank and how many Ah have been removed and added.

IIRC, the BMK uses three criterion to determine 100% SOC. Charge current less than 2% of bank capacity, stable voltage, and the amount of amps returned to the bank is within 1% of the amps that were removed since the last 100% SOC. Once those three criterion have been met, the BMK considers the battery bank to be 100%.

I think that the 100% point is probably pretty accurate. However any other percentage is based on the amps removed compared to the total Ah available. If the total bank size is off, then the SOC will be off. Bank capacity for most of us is simply a WAG, and that that is what we input into the Magnum system during setup.

Maybe the BMK is doing something entirely different but I certainly don’t know what that is.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 09-16-2019, 11:32 AM   #38

City: Out and About
Vessel Model: Sold-GB 52 Europa, Queenship 59, Tolly 45
https://www.amazon.com/BUNKER-INDUST...651120&sr=8-31

I wanted to know our service battery status from anywhere on the boat (e.g. stateroom, fly bridge etc) without having to run wires. I found a Bluetooth enabled battery monitor that displays via an app on your phone. Just measures voltage but keeps a log. Very simple to install. it is only $30, works great for us.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2932.PNG  
gsholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:56 AM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonfish View Post
Do you have the Magnum BMK battery monitor in addition to the Magnum remote? We currently only have the remote and are going to add the BMK monitor for more accurate information.

No just the remote for the Magnum.... I have no issues with the smart gauge. The original post was just a off handed comment on the long learning period for the SG200. Because the shunts for the SG and the Magnum are in series my second comment was directed at the differences in the current displayed which I assume is parasitic loss in the I/C which is ignored by the Magnum but picked up by the SG. The other option is that the current measurement on one of the shunts is bad.... I have seen as much as a 30% delta between the 2 displays...
Old 09-16-2019, 06:55 PM   #40
Guru

City: Guelph
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
I have the Balmar SG200 on my sailboat. It worked flawlessly until I got rid of the dedicated starting battery for my little Yanmar 1gm10 in favour of a beefed up single bank for house and starting. Then the SoC numbers started getting a bit wonky.

To be fair, Balmar does specify that the shunt is for house loads only. In that capacity the unit worked very well for me. I may put in a very small starting battery just to get back to accurate monitoring of the house bank.
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote