Old 12-02-2018, 08:57 PM   #121
Scraping Paint

City: CT
Those load terminals are usually very limited in their current output.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:15 PM   #122
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
FLA are much more robust, long lived stand up to abuse better than AGM. And much cheaper per AH per year.

Plus hydrometers.

So all in all, if you want / need to know SoC, going with AGM makes, the need greater not less.

I agree LFP is another topic, but it is worth noting SmartGauge only works with lead.
I gotta throw the flag on this play. The SG200 SmartGuage from Balmar that we've been discussing IS compatible with LFP. It states so here.

SG200 Battery Monitor | Balmar

Support for All Common Battery Chemistries & Voltages
Including Lead Acid, Lithium (LiFePO4), Standard AGM,
TPPL AGM, Carbon Foam AGM, and GEL Batteries
Supports 12V-48V Battery Banks
Typically 97% Accurate within 2 Cycles
Auto-Calibrating
Does not Lose Accuracy with Age

Have you ever maintained a battery bank? Do you know what's involved? Many folks cannot adequately service LAs and AGMs are the economic solution. Only a fool would say all FLAs are more robust than all AGMs. Your sweeping generalizations defy logic and experiential evidence.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:19 PM   #123

City: Portsmouth, NH
Vessel Name: Irony
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
I thought he said Smart Gauge. Which does not support LFP.
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:10 AM   #124
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood View Post
I thought he said Smart Gauge. Which does not support LFP.

There is the original SmartGuage that is LA only, and the just released SmartGauge 200 that supports LA and LFP
Old 12-04-2018, 05:29 AM   #125

City: Green Cove Springs
Vessel Name: Sovereignty
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen Manatee
Besides battery monitoring, look into both a battery lifesaver and/or a battery tender or maintainer.
captaindah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:02 AM   #126
TF Site Team

Quote:
Again, the very recent Balmar SG200 has no official relationship with the original Merlin SmartGauge, even though Balmar rebadges the latter in the NA market.
No one is stating that the Balmar SG200 SmartGauge is a Merlin product, therefore there is no need to correct someone who never stated what you have posted.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:50 AM   #127

^^
@Flywright

And the Smart Gauge does not support LFP - right?

The SG200 is not a Smart Gauge and was designed independent from the Smart Gauge.

You make a misstatement and continue to harangue.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:07 AM   #128
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood View Post
^^
@Flywright

And the Smart Gauge does not support LFP - right?

The SG200 is not a Smart Gauge and was designed independent from the Smart Gauge.

You make a misstatement and continue to harangue.
Yes, the old Balmar Smartguage does not support LFP, but the Balmar SG200 which has been the topic of discussion since post #68 (I thought!) DOES support LFP.

Old 12-04-2018, 11:13 AM   #129

@flywright

Except where stated by John61 "Smart Gauge". Very clear to me and in context to the conversation. You should reread it without prejudice instead of making excuses.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:01 PM   #130
TF Site Team

Apologies if I have confused the issue. I'm only trying to stay with the facts and the truth.

I highly recommend anyone considering a battery monitor to closely consult the Mfr's specs and information and not rely on the words of an anonymous poster for factual information. Much has been posted that is not accurate and should not be followed.

I am concerned when our members and friends get inaccurate and potentially dangerous information from our resident armchair expert. To date, he has not acknowledged operating or owning anything of which he writes. He refuses to tell us his experience or training which qualifies him to "recommend" equipment for our vessels. Trusting unqualified sources can lead to dangerous misunderstandings. We owe it to our members to call out the charlatans when they have exposed themselves.

I stand by what I posted...every word for over 10 years. If anyone wants to know what I do, where I live or what my experience is, they only have to ask. I'm an open book and I stand by my word...every word.

I would expect anyone confident in their abilities to do the same.

Old 12-04-2018, 12:22 PM   #131

Oh well. Whatever.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:28 PM   #132
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
Just buy a voltmeter and live with the guilt.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:09 PM   #133
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Apologies if I have confused the issue. I'm only trying to stay with the facts and the truth.

I highly recommend anyone considering a battery monitor to closely consult the Mfr's specs and information and not rely on the words of an anonymous poster for factual information. Much has been posted that is not accurate and should not be followed.

I am concerned when our members and friends get inaccurate and potentially dangerous information from our resident armchair expert. To date, he has not acknowledged operating or owning anything of which he writes. He refuses to tell us his experience or training which qualifies him to "recommend" equipment for our vessels. Trusting unqualified sources can lead to dangerous misunderstandings. We owe it to our members to call out the charlatans when they have exposed themselves.

I stand by what I posted...every word for over 10 years. If anyone wants to know what I do, where I live or what my experience is, they only have to ask. I'm an open book and I stand by my word...every word.

I would expect anyone confident in their abilities to do the same.
Many others share your concern, Fly, and many others on this site and others have requested the poster's credentials to make some of the declarative, and clearly wrong statements made. Only the sound of crickets in response. Kind of a self correcting problem in that after people have followed a few threads, they learn to just ignore him. Not that everything he states as fact isn't accurate. It's just that when b.s. is stated with equal authority as things that are true, sorting the chaff from the grain is more effort than it is worth. So just do what every person I know of from personal contact who actually knows what they're talking about does, and that is just to pay no attention.
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 02:27 PM   #134
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
I'm in the "keep it simple" camp and am happy with my AGM's and voltmeter.

If a person is aware of what their charge settings are, and how that affects the volt meter reading, one can have a fairly good understanding of the state of charge . I've got a $8 LED voltmeter mounted at the helm that I leave on and glance at it often. You soon learn what it should be at depending on whether I'm charging with just solar, plugged in at the dock, time of day, refrigeration activity etc.

If I required and had a generator, big invertor, electric stove, blow dryer etc and much bigger battery bank, perhaps a SOC meter would be a worth investing in, but I have enough hobbies as it is.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 02:37 PM   #135
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Many others share your concern, Fly, and many others on this site and others have requested the poster's credentials to make some of the declarative, and clearly wrong statements made. Only the sound of crickets in response. Kind of a self correcting problem in that after people have followed a few threads, they learn to just ignore him. Not that everything he states as fact isn't accurate. It's just that when b.s. is stated with equal authority as things that are true, sorting the chaff from the grain is more effort than it is worth. So just do what every person I know of from personal contact who actually knows what they're talking about does, and that is just to pay no attention.

Exactly, just ignore, as you would ignore a parrot.
Old 12-04-2018, 04:58 PM   #136
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
It`s likely that if the frequent contributor had persuasive credentials, they would be before us by now.They are not, take from that what you will.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:02 PM   #137
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Maybe he remembers the times when I stated my creds and some people posted "big deal", "who cares", " doesn't matter", etc, etc.

It deems its more important that you are published than anything for some people.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:47 PM   #138
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
I hope you’re not talking about me because I’m very sensitive and you might hurt my feelings. What was the question?
Old 12-04-2018, 09:22 PM   #139
Scraping Paint

City: CT
like the Hausfrauen sitting at their Kaffeeklatsch
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 09:25 PM   #140
Grand Vizier

Case in point....

Quote:
SmartGauge is the original Merlin SmartGauge, invented by Chris "Gibbo" Gibson.
Gibbo? Wow, you must really know a lot about this if you are on a nickname basis with Merlin's principal.

______
Quote:
The SG200 is a very recent Balmar product, in fact still under development (in Alpha afaik)
Do you know what an alpha version is as the term is applied to technology? Perhaps you mean beta? But that can't be right either because Beta products are generally not for sale to the general public until final UAT is conducted, and the SG200 is available today from PKYS, even if due to limited production availability so you might have to wait.

Quote:
Although it has nothing to do with Merlin, it apparently does incorporates some of Gibbo's active impedance compensation tech, perhaps "reverse engineered" from his SmartGauge.
Here you manage to combine sleazy slander - the accusation that Balmar are such scum bags that they steal someone else's technology by reverse engineering, with a separate falsehood. Active impedance is not mentioned anywhere in ole' Gibbo's descriptive page, here, for a very good reason. It is what Balmar calls their method used to compensate for errors in coulomb counting. Here's Balmar's Chris Witzgall's quote from the panbo site you reference, but apparently didn't read:

"Ben, Active Impedance Compensation Is something we came up with for the SG200, and does not apply to the original SmartGauge. It is compensating for errors in Coulomb counting."

Quote:
It also includes shunt-based coulomb-counting style monitoring to integrate AH in and out into SoC calculations, but does not display that AH information.
False, as you can see on Balmar's page, here.

Quote:
combines data from the two sources to estimate State of Health (SoH), aka residual AH capacity

apparently works with all major battery types: FLA, AGM including Firefly and TPPL, as well as LiFePO4

can monitor a large number of battery banks with displays located throughout the boat. Each also monitor voltage for two auxiliary batteries, like engine start or similar non-deep-cycle applications.

purportedly doesn’t lose accuracy while charging, and over time the system will get more accurate without requiring calibration like typical coulomb counting shunt-based monitors
Thanks for regurgitating the Balmar description of their product. Makes it sound like you came up with all this information yourself rather than parroting what Balmar wrote.

Quote:
no idea whether accurate or not yet but does look promising
Well, that's reassuring. I guess we'll all wait for your final conclusion before buying one.

Quote:
and I look forward once it is released,
It's been released. You can order it today from PKYS.com

Now I know all of this will roll off your back like water off a duck, but you really should consider how you come across to many of us when you post a mixture of nasty bile, bilge water and regurgitated public information as if you're providing instruction to the clueless.

I'm breaking my own IGNORE rule here, I know, but I couldn't let your reckless and slimy accusation of high-handed theft by Balmar to go uncommented upon.