Battery De Sulfation devices?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FF

Guru
As the Battery Monitor - SOC thread is interesting but sagging ,

I wonder what results folks have had with de-sulfation devices?

snake oil

If any of them does actually do anything, hasn't turned up in any objective testing done by anyone I trust

Of course those who fell for the marketing will rave with anecdotes to support their choice to purchase.

At least do no harm.

no, real equalizing is completely different from the OP's chargers marketed as "miracle technology!" "desulfating pulsing" chargers.

The essential element is a higher than usual voltage.

If a charger advertises an automatic conditioning / equalization feature, make sure it can be disabled, should always be done manually.

When specified by the batt mfg, **does** genuinely help longevity, but each has their own specific equalization protocol which should be followed precisely.

Best as a regularly scheduled maintenance routine, more frequently for more abusive PSOC scenarios, at least monthly, can be weekly. Ability to "magically resuscitate" a bank after long-term abuse is of course limited.

Ideally proper equalization is done from mains, each battery unit in the bank separately, using a power supply or charger that the user can adjust to a fully custom voltage

Lifeline is the only AGM mfg that still reco's equalizing, the others have lower-voltage "conditioning" routines.

Last edited:
My engineer's brain can understand equalization resolubilizing precipitated sulfate and improving battery life. But anything else like the pulsing chargers I don't understand how they work and suspect it is snake oil as noted above.

David

I've had those pulsin' chargers on my two battery banks (six golf cart batts and two series 24 batts) for years and have found no difference at all. Four years and the batts are gone. Of course it could be because my battery charger is 32 years old and does not have all the bells and whistles.

Out of curiosity, I purchased one from the Lifeline distributor in my area who swore by them. I took it home and hooked it up, then measured it's characteristics using voltage and current probes on a recording oscilloscope. What it did was try to impose an AC ripple on the terminals, however the amplitude of both voltage and current was close to vanishingly small. I left it on and it seemed to do nothing for battery life, one way or another.

Snake oil. But if you have the money to spend, send it to me and I'll compose a mantra to repeat to your battery in a monotone. It will do just as much good.

It is **possible** that one of the many dozens being flogged out there does **something** good,

but apparently they all ripple / pulse at **different** frequencies, so have fun long-term testing. . .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom