Battery charging underway

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Prhugret

Vessel Name
KATHLEEN
Vessel Make
1991 Jefferson Sundeck Marlago 43
I have left the Generator battery charger on while underway (the alternators are also charging) is this wrong?

I have left the Generator battery charger on while underway (the alternators are also charging) is this wrong?

Shouldn't be an issue as either the alternator or the battery charger will see the charging voltage, think the battery is charged, and stop charging.

Ted

Is it possible I have a bad alternator as the port engine fires right up, but the starboard engine needs the port engine to run for a few minutes before cranking over?

Is it possible I have a bad alternator as the port engine fires right up, but the starboard engine needs the port engine to run for a few minutes before cranking over?

If they share the same engine battery, it could be a starter issue as the first engine running is increasing the battery voltage which may benefit the starter.

If they have separate engine batteries, but the batteries are combined with a battery switch, it may be that the second engine battery is weak / old. As above, running the first engine for a few minutes raises the voltage which may be the difference.

Hard to offer more help without knowing more about the setup.

Ted

Have you checked all the connections in the starter circuit? Clean and tight connections.

Back
Top Bottom