Battery Charging Issue 1982 GB42MY Single Lehman

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kurt.reynolds

Vessel Name
Grace
Vessel Make
1982 Grand Banks Motoryacht
I am trying to work thru some issues with our battery system. We have 2 house batteries and one battery that I assume only is used for generator starting. After not using the generator all summer, I went to start it the other day and it would not turn over.

I went down today and with the battery switch in off, I get 14 v on each house battery and 11.8 on generator starting battery. So I assume the charger is charging both house batteries, but NOT generator starting battery.

Looking for suggestions on how to troubleshoot, Generator battery has a positive wire coming off of it and two ground wires connected to it. I took off the terminals and cleaned them well.

I guess the question is how does battery charger get routed to each battery for charging. Most of the wiring is bundled and a bit difficult to follow.

Thanks
Kurt

My gb has a voltage sensing relay that closes allowing the fourth battery to charge once the first three reach float voltage.

Look for a hockey puck size device with a couple wires coming out of it.

They sometimes fail, stopping the battery from charging.

My gb has a voltage sensing relay that closes allowing the fourth battery to charge once the first three reach float voltage.

Look for a hockey puck size device with a couple wires coming out of it.

They sometimes fail, stopping the battery from charging.

So would this be in the ER or maybe under the lower helm? Thanks and I will look around!

Do you have a charge controller that manages multiple batteries? Our boat has a charge controller that links the engine start and house batteries for charging only. It's visible at the charge controller how many battery banks are tied in (two in our case: house and engine). I assume you must have 3 battery banks: engine, house, and generator. I know in our case our generator is not tied to the main charge controller, probably because the generator is in the lazerette.

Do you have a charge controller that manages multiple batteries? ....

We have a charger on the wall that manages the batteries I assume, I guess I need to do more investigation. We have 3 batteries, 2 wired to the battery selector and one for generator start. I am not 100% sure of the wiring which is part of my confusion.

The generator start battery only has one lead on the positive terminal, so not sure where the charge voltage would come from.

Thanks!

There is a possibility that the generator alternator is the only thing charging the generator battery. I have seen it done this way more than once....especially that era of boat. I am willing to bet that is the case. If so, just get you a small smart charger to use for that battery....and likely a new battery.

There is a possibility that the generator alternator is the only thing charging the generator battery.....

Thanks, I think I will jump start the generator and check the voltage after that. Good step for troubleshooting.

Thanks, I think I will jump start the generator and check the voltage after that. Good step for troubleshooting.

I have a separate charger for my generator battery. I (almost)never use it. So this set up operates the same way I have descibed above for the most part. Just make an attempt to run the generator ever now and then. It is good for the battery and good for the generator.

Back
Top Bottom